• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Exports of 'Cool Japan' Anime, Dramas Jump 30%

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Japan should remove its obscenities censorship and focus on exporting more JAVs. They produce on average what comes out to 100 releases per day, it's nuts.
ajr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to music exports, their relatively high domestic price point isn't helping them. Many Japan artists aren't even listed on iTunes, and it's not like they've pushed a English-friendly digital distribution platform themselves.
Ryan227

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I got bad news, Japan's music sales has been going down for the last few years according to a recent Billboard article.

Japan's music sale was very bad, it effected the global music sales:

Wall Street Journal

The Independent

BBC News

Fortune

Japan can't keep this market self-sustained forever because of the population shrinking, the yen has weakened, the tax hikes in Japan did it's job of making people not buying a lot, and their GDP are very bad. Not only that Japan knows they've lost their cool to South Korea already. Also because of Japan's reluctance to globalize J-pop outside of Asia, and allowed K-pop to do that. South Korea became the 10th largest market in the world. I don't know how long can Japan sustain it's #2 giving that the tax hike, weakened yen, GDP going down, not going digital, or not taking the global market seriously.

...yup I said that the Japanese industry is weakened, it's pretty sad looking at sales from just the early 00's and comparing them to now. But as you said yourself they are still #2 while Korea with all their marketing and appealing to other countries is #10. I do think that Japanese companies must embrace youtube and I'd love for them to stream music shows, they could certainly try to sell their groups better and make them more easily accessible to other countries and I do think that there are definitely groups that could benefit from like touring anime conventions but for the most part overseas cons would be a total loss for them, popular groups anyway.

Quote:
Thanks for that, is it OK if you can show me a link that Taiwan has remade J-dramas.

Oh jeeze you're right I'm sorry I forgot that the Taiwanese Hana Kimi and Hana Yori Dango were first Shocked (so does that make the Japanese dramas remakes of them?Razz )
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Ryan227 wrote:
For years Japan simply just did not care about selling any of their shows overseas, they were focused only on themselves. And honestly when you compare Japan and Korea it's obvious that Korea NEEDS to market overseas because it's such a small country.

That's a good point.. So who makes more money? Korea or Japan? Korea may have more exporting profits, but it may be because they have far lower domestic profits and total profits overall. Japan has a pretty self-sustaining industry with anime. Korea's most important contribution to animation is being the grunt animators for other countries.. they lack their own animation industry outside a few one-offs. What about movies? How does the Japanese film industry compare to Korea and other countries? If they make enough money on their own then they probably see little reason to focus on exporting. The anime industry is proof you can make due on your own country's sales.

It's also good to point out that as mentioned the bulk of Japan's export profits are from other Asian countries. America only makes up a small percentage of it, so if Japan does focus on exports, it would most likely to be to other Asian countries and not us. I know they air Super Sentai and Kamen Rider dubbed in other Asian countries, but America is stuck with the American Power Rangers remake.

Last edited by gloverrandal on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Ryan227 wrote:

...yup I said that the Japanese industry is weakened, it's pretty sad looking at sales from just the early 00's and comparing them to now. But as you said yourself they are still #2 while Korea with all their marketing and appealing to other countries is #10. I do think that Japanese companies must embrace youtube and I'd love for them to stream music shows, they could certainly try to sell their groups better and make them more easily accessible to other countries and I do think that there are definitely groups that could benefit from like touring anime conventions but for the most part overseas cons would be a total loss for them, popular groups anyway.

I don't know if Japan's music industry will embrace Youtube and other new tech, Japan has been pretty slow in adapting new tech. Compared that to South Korea.

you wrote:
I wrote:
Thanks for that, is it OK if you can show me a link that Taiwan has remade J-dramas.

Oh jeeze you're right I'm sorry I forgot that the Taiwanese Hana Kimi and Hana Yori Dango were first Shocked (so does that make the Japanese dramas remakes of them?)

No these are adaptations of anime/manga. Remake would be like for example the K-drama, Operation Proposal was a remake of the J-drama, Operation Love. The Taiwanese drama Fabulous Boys was a remake of the Korean drama, You're Beautiful (which the Japanese also remade). Taiwan's Sunny Girl was also a remake of another K-drama. That's what I mean by remaking, the one you just mention are not remake but adaptation.

gloverrandal wrote:

That's a good point.. So who makes more money? Korea or Japan? Korea may have more exporting profits, but it may be because they have far lower domestic profits and total profits overall. Japan has a pretty self-sustaining industry with anime. Korea's most important contribution to animation is being the grunt animators for other countries.. they lack their own animation industry outside a few one-offs. What about movies? How does the Japanese film industry compare to Korea and other countries? If they make enough money on their own then they probably see little reason to focus on exporting. The anime industry is proof you can make due on your own country's sales.

Korea has already seen export on the rise for the last 3 years. They may not have anime, but I've seen some mature animation coming out of them like The King of Pigs (you can watch the trailer on YT), the person that did that one also did The Fake. Also let's not forget this, BASToF Lemon. I did remember 2 Korean Animations won international awards. I remember reading something about K-animation are winning global audiences, so it could change in the future. I did remember reading something about the South Korean govt is going to give K-animation industry more support. So I think in my opinion, Korean animation has potential to anime in the future.

I would love to see Korea making an animation that can rival Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop, and Dragonball Z in the future. I know Pororo is getting more global audiences then Yo-kai Watch.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chriswen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I think these numbers will further increase into 2014.

I'm also wondering how big is the Japanese Anime Industry. With recent news about Crunchyroll I'm wondering how much of an impact it's having on the industry. We're not talking about digital pennies anymore.

Also does this include people buying 'imports'. It seems this mostly deals with licensing rights.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
infamoustakai wrote:
Great news. I'm hoping this steady increase will have Japan finally realize the potential of anime and manga in America. So if a series doesn't do so well in Japan, it can still be a success in America and elsewhere without them having to cancel it. But I feel like that's just a far-fetched dream.

The figures are for worldwide export values, not just America. For example: "45.1% broadcasting rights, 14.8% internet streaming rights, 8.6% home video licenses, "

The US has good chunk of the streaming and home video pie, shared with France, Germany, but TV broadcasting is the largest export %. And that is mostly for countries which still regularly broadcast anime on TV like Asia, parts of Europe, etc. So I think you are overstating the significance of US viewer influence on anime without non-Japanese investors or partners.

Which is why I said "America and elsewhere".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Japan should remove its obscenities censorship and focus on exporting more JAVs. They produce on average what comes out to 100 releases per day, it's nuts.

Agreed! And please, ladies of JAV: do not succumb to the vile Western practise of shorning all pubes. Viva la bush!

(But yeah, if you could stop sounding like crying 10-year-old girls when having sex, that would be pretty cool.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:39 am Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
Also odd game shows never thought of here state side folks getting slapped with fish and groups sitting on the toilet and while we had no idea what they were saying we as teens watched anyway!

I'm guessing if such a thing was attempted in the USA, the health department would shut it down immediately if anything like that actually happened in them.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
@mdo7 and others.

You keep saying Japan should do this or Japan should do that as if it was a person or rather a single corporation controlled by a single person or board. The only entity that can be said to speak for all of Japan is the government. They can encourage overseas sales. Which they are apparently doing. They possibly could provide financial incentives. However the government is not the rights holder for the music, anime and drama you are discussing. The government cannot tell people how to handle international rights. At least not with the current set up.

This is pretty much the same setup we have here and, I feel, is as it should be. Imagine if you will the government here going to Disney or the Japanese government going to a production committee and dictating the financial and other terms of an international sale and release. Governments do not have a good track record in managing companies.

While I agree that Japanese holders of intellectual property rights should be more international minded the decisions have to be made by the people managing the rights. This means changing the minds of dozens if not hundreds of people. What you want is a change of the business culture of the entire Japanese entertainment industry. This may be desirable but it will not happen quickly and cannot be forced. They will probably have to fall as far as our automobile industry did before you see significant change.

I do realized that the government does have control of obscenity regulations. Unfortunately the government and the people who elect them seem to be headed in the direction of stricter rather than looser regulation in this area.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@mdo7 and others.

You keep saying Japan should do this or Japan should do that as if it was a person or rather a single corporation controlled by a single person or board. The only entity that can be said to speak for all of Japan is the government. They can encourage overseas sales. Which they are apparently doing. They possibly could provide financial incentives. However the government is not the rights holder for the music, anime and drama you are discussing. The government cannot tell people how to handle international rights. At least not with the current set up.

I wasn't criticizing the Japanese government. My message wasn't aimed at that, it was more at the companies and productions that put too much control and not wanting to market (and globalize) their product outside of Japan/Asia. Again I apologize if my message sound like I was attacking Japanese government, I'm not. I know it's the companies and industry that aren't going to play fair.

you also wrote:
While I agree that Japanese holders of intellectual property rights should be more international minded the decisions have to be made by the people managing the rights. This means changing the minds of dozens if not hundreds of people. What you want is a change of the business culture of the entire Japanese entertainment industry. This may be desirable but it will not happen quickly and cannot be forced. They will probably have to fall as far as our automobile industry did before you see significant change.

That is a big problem, it's not only Japanese companies that aren't playing fair. Another problem is that many of them don't have knowledge in globalization and marketing outside of Japan and Asia when South Korea has a big edge over that. So I don't know if Japanese companies are going to be more open-minded.

Well in case if people aren't aware, Korean pop culture has gotten really big and has gotten mainstream attention around the world for the last few years (that include Gangnam Style). Now because of that it's been acknowledged that South Korea has "out-cool" Japan, I mean Justin "Answerman" Servakis has even brought up Japan's problem (the last question) with marketing their product beyond anime and manga:

Newsweek-Korean Cool Is The Ultimate National Marketing Ploy

Financial post-How Korea became the world’s coolest brand

Korea is Asia’s foremost trendsetter: The Economist (other source: Unitedkpop)

Is Japan losing its cool?

Can Japan recapture its cool? A country’s government-backed multimillion-dollar bet

I do have another article I found 2 months back explaining the difference in Japan and South Korea's soft power.

Now you know why I compared and observed South Korea and Japan.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
@mdo7

I know you were not talking about the Japanese government. I mentioned it because that is the only entity that can be said to speak for all of Japan. My point is that when anyone uses the phrase Japan Should they have already simplified the problem to the point of uselessness.

As I said, you are actually talking about changing the minds and business practices of the entire Japanese entertainment business. This is complicated by their practice (at least for anime) of establishing a new production committee for each project and requiring that all participants agree to things like international sales. It is not surprising that doing business in Japan is difficult, what is the surprise is that anything is done at all.

You keep using the term fairness. Fairness has nothing to do with it. If it is their property, it is their rules. Play it under those rules or don't play at all. Are they leaving international money on the table? Sure, but they likely don't care. As long as they are making a profit and think they will continue to do so they are independent.

In any case, there is no point in suggesting solutions. They aren't asking for your opinion. I feel the same way about those who think various artistic decisions (moe, fanservice) are ruining anime. The people in Japan who are making the decisions don't care what you or I think. All we can do at this remove is sit back and accept the good stuff and ignore the bad. We don't get a vote.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@mdo7

I know you were not talking about the Japanese government. I mentioned it because that is the only entity that can be said to speak for all of Japan. My point is that when anyone uses the phrase Japan Should they have already simplified the problem to the point of uselessness.

As I said, you are actually talking about changing the minds and business practices of the entire Japanese entertainment business. This is complicated by their practice (at least for anime) of establishing a new production committee for each project and requiring that all participants agree to things like international sales and the international market can help Japan's content industry a lot if Japanese companies can start taking the global market more seriously. It is not surprising that doing business in Japan is difficult, what is the surprise is that anything is done at all.

You keep using the term fairness. Fairness has nothing to do with it. If it is their property, it is their rules. Play it under those rules or don't play at all. Are they leaving international money on the table? Sure, but they likely don't care. As long as they are making a profit and think they will continue to do so they are independent.

In any case, there is no point in suggesting solutions. They aren't asking for your opinion. I feel the same way about those who think various artistic decisions (moe, fanservice) are ruining anime. The people in Japan who are making the decisions don't care what you or I think. All we can do at this remove is sit back and accept the good stuff and ignore the bad. We don't get a vote.

I understand and thank you for sharing the same thought. I know the Japanese companies don't take their international fanbase seriously. But given their GDP has gone down a lot as I mention on my previous post, they have to do something about that and the global market outside of Asia can help Japan's content industry if Japanese companies focus more outside of Asia. But as I observed (and just as you stated Alan45), I don't know if Japan will change and I don't expect this to happen immediately. I know they don't care about our thought or anything like that, that is to be expected.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7
Keep in mind that a given company in Japan is not actually concerned with the country's GDP. Their concern is with their own profits and pride.

As far as concentrating on international sales, who knows, that might kill what we would wish to preserve. Money distorts things, also there is the law of unintended consequences. By trying to please two different audiences (home and international) they may lose both. Like trying to have two girlfriends. Very Happy The Japanese entertainment industry may be on the road to hell in a hand basket (what ever a hand basket is) but it is their road, their basket and, for that matter, their hell. I'm pretty sure it is different than ours.

Out of curiosity, how many of those links have you posted many times before? Riding this particular hobby horse is why some people get upset with you.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@mdo7
Keep in mind that a given company in Japan is not actually concerned with the country's GDP. Their concern is with their own profits and pride.

As far as concentrating on international sales, who knows, that might kill what we would wish to preserve. Money distorts things, also there is the law of unintended consequences. By trying to please two different audiences (home and international) they may lose both. Like trying to have two girlfriends. Very Happy The Japanese entertainment industry may be on the road to hell in a hand basket (what ever a hand basket is) but it is their road, their basket and, for that matter, their hell. I'm pretty sure it is different than ours.

Yep, I share that same sentiment Alan. Smile

But South Korea's drama and music has been aimed at a local audiences, those ended up gaining popularity on a global level (even Psy said Gangnam Style wasn't intended to go global as he said on a interview on Fuse TV). Even their variety shows were not meant to be aimed at a global audiences but yet South Korean variety show are attracting global audiences around the world. If South Korea's entertainment were made for local audiences but ended up getting a lot of international fanbases. Is it possible if Japanese industry can I don't know not lose it touch and it can still appeal to international audiences without turning off it's local audiences?

you also wrote:
Out of curiosity, how many of those links have you posted many times before? Riding this particular hobby horse is why some people get upset with you.

Well I lost track, but I believe it necessary because not everybody has seen my evidence on other thread. I apologize if I look obsessed. Ever since K-pop has gone global, a lot of people including me have question why and how did Japan fall so behind when South Korea got ahead and gaining more global spotlight and prominence. But I've already seen the answer.

Also since this particular article (both ANN and the original article from Asashi Shimbun) has brought up South Korea, it sort of give me a "green light" to compare South Korea and Japan in term of export, marketing, and how South Korea is getting more attention then Japan. I know a lot of people on ANN may not like it, but it's the reality. I have to ask what would happen if ANN started to report more on K-pop/Korean related stuff like for example, let say ANN in the future published these articles:

• Funimation to release more then 30 Korean dramas on DVDs/Blu-ray

• Funimation Channel to broadcast Korean and Taiwanese Dramas on the channel line-up

• Discotek to release classic Korean dramas on DVDs/Blu-rays under "Hallyu Legend" labels

• Funimation/Giant Ape to release Korean films: Roaring Currents, The Fatal Encounter, and The Face Reader on DVDs/Blu-ray

• Former employees of Japan's METI criticize Cool Japan, said "South Korea does it better then Japan"

• Crystal Kay to debut in South Korea, sign under YG Entertainment

• Perfume sign under Cube Entertainment to debut in South Korea, and releasing a Korean-language album

• Kylee Saunders will take part in Superstar K, Korean debut is expected

Then how are people on ANN going to react if these were ever to happen. I don't know if it'll become reality but seeing how Japan is losing it's global relevance and South Korea is gaining more. I like to add that after the K-pop and K-dramas gain popularity outside of Asia. Taiwan, Manland China are trying to emulate South Korea's success. Japan has tried but with horrible effort.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5