• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 5 Confirmed for PS4 in N. America

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Thank you! I don't have a PS4 yet, so this is great news. The reason why we got screwed out of "Final Fantasy Type-0" and had to wait four years for a PS4 port was because it came out so late in the PSP's lifespan. I really hate it when games from the last gen become obsolete the second the new one comes out.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Thank you! I don't have a PS4 yet, so this is great news. The reason why we got screwed out of "Final Fantasy Type-0" and had to wait four years for a PS4 port was because it came out so late in the PSP's lifespan. I really hate it when games from the last gen become obsolete the second the new one comes out.
Well to be fair the PSP had been on its way out even before the Vita released.

Back to Persona 5 though, we already knew that it was coming to both PS3 and PS4 back in September when this trailer was originally shown at Tokyo Game Show. It had already been announced for North America in 2015 before that using the original trailer. In todays internet connected world, everyone sees everything the moment it hits the web. So a vast majority of people already knew that Persona 5 was West and that it would release in 2015 on at least the PS3 which is the lead console. PS4 was later added, pushing the release date into 2015 for Japan. All this rehashed trailer really did was put fears to rest that the North American release had been pushed into 2016(Atlus track record for Persona shows that the game typically releases one year after its Japan release.). Seeing some gameplay, in Japanese or English, would have been a better thing to show than an old trailer.
shi666san

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was already confirmed for a NA release, but I'm glad to have some confirmation.

Man, maybe it's because of the red theme color and that shot where all the people are walking in the city, but I'm getting P2: IS vibes.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
shi666san wrote:
I thought it was already confirmed for a NA release, but I'm glad to have some confirmation.

It was. Quite some time ago. The folks over at Atlus USA have just been lost in the woods is all.

Having been a longtime member on their once-forums, it's pretty depressing to see how low Atlus USA has fallen these last few years. Nowhere near as much as, say SE, but still depressing regardless. :<
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
We kind of already knew this, it was obvious, but a confirmation is nice. I hope 2015 is not in like November
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Obviously, people who like the SMT Persona series and own a Playstation 4 should be elated by this news, and even if I owned both consoles*, I would opt for the Playstation 4 version, but I'd be willing to bet that the "next gen"/"last gen" graphical gap for a cel-shaded game like Persona 5 will be minimal compared to games that attempt photorealism. Like, maybe there will be more background NPCs in crowd scenes and each characters clothing and hair will behave more realistically in the PS4 version, but I suspect the actual gameplay experience will be virtually identical between both versions. Like, if I could only play the PS3 version, I don't think I'd feel short-changed for owning a slightly inferior version.

* I wish I had both, but I don't have either one at the moment because "money". I'm still thinking of getting a PS3, though, when I do have a little more money since I'm the sort of bargain bin/thrift store gamer who is perfectly happy playing last generation (and older, my PS2 is still my most-played console and I own an XBox 360) games years after everyone else. I certainly hope to have a PS3 in my possession by the time Persona 5 is released on this side of the Pacific.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Obviously, people who like the SMT Persona series and own a Playstation 4 should be elated by this news, and even if I owned both consoles*, I would opt for the Playstation 4 version, but I'd be willing to bet that the "next gen"/"last gen" graphical gap for a cel-shaded game like Persona 5 will be minimal compared to games that attempt photorealism. Like, maybe there will be more background NPCs in crowd scenes and each characters clothing and hair will behave more realistically in the PS4 version, but I suspect the actual gameplay experience will be virtually identical between both versions. Like, if I could only play the PS3 version, I don't think I'd feel short-changed for owning a slightly inferior version.

I own both a ps4 and ps3 and I am seriously considering getting the ps3 version just because P5 was natively developed for the ps3. The ps4 version is technically a port. Plus I don't have PS+ and won't every buy it, so if there is online in P5 I wanna access it without coughing up monthly payments
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
^ If I had a PS3, I'd be playing it offline-only, not that Persona 5 is a game I expect to have much in the way of online features. Unless I'm completely wrong and Atlus tries cramming an MMORPG in there, but that's not the impression I get from the trailer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Nice confirmation, and glad it's on ps3. I ain't buying a ps4 for a long, long time, but I do want another jrpg to play on my ps3.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
this is one of the few games id consider getting a ps4 for in order to play. this and KH3 guess its a race to see which comes out first seeing as they both tend to be plagued by setbacks.

that said what in this trailer was new compared to the last one? seems almost identical. and if they say this is coming out 2015 in japan its probably gonna come out early 2016 with the english version around 2017. its not that i dont trust their release dates... oh... wait. It is that i dont trust their release dates
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Persona 5 wasn't initially announced for PS3 and PS4. The PS4 version was announced at Sony's Pre-Tokyo Game Show press conference in September. While Atlus USA had already confirmed a western release (alongside Persona Q and Dancing All Night) on PS3, this is the first time they've confirmed the PS4 version. Though there shouldn't have been any doubt about that given how PS4 is selling in Japan vs. the west.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
^ If I had a PS3, I'd be playing it offline-only, not that Persona 5 is a game I expect to have much in the way of online features. Unless I'm completely wrong and Atlus tries cramming an MMORPG in there, but that's not the impression I get from the trailer.

Well, maybe still throw in some online features without making it a full-on MMO. Maybe make it like the Mirage Arena in "Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep" where you and somebody else's character dukes it out. They could use the online play as a means of enhancing the Social Links.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Persona 5 wasn't initially announced for PS3 and PS4. The PS4 version was announced at Sony's Pre-Tokyo Game Show press conference in September. While Atlus USA had already confirmed a western release (alongside Persona Q and Dancing All Night) on PS3, this is the first time they've confirmed the PS4 version. Though there shouldn't have been any doubt about that given how PS4 is selling in Japan vs. the west.

Yeah, I didn't mind it getting re-name dropped at a US conference for once even if we really knew it was coming, can't wait for the game Smile
LCSeixas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
So, when is the next japanese/american event that may or may not feature a P5 trailer?

Sheesh, I had high hopes for the PSX and they managed to let me down.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
LCSeixas wrote:
So, when is the next japanese/american event that may or may not feature a P5 trailer?

Sheesh, I had high hopes for the PSX and they managed to let me down.
My guess would be Jump Festa which is closer to Christmas. I think December 21st, but I'm not 100% on that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2