• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods [Extended Edition] Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
The final fight wasn't all that great - at least, in terms of the battle choreography. But Beerus was simply awesome, in my opinion the best villain DBZ has had. He has honour, he has wisdom, he has (some) compassion, and he isn't evil so much as a bored guy would rather be entertained instead of doing his job. spoiler[I'm glad that Goku lost to him as not only was it good to see him lose once in a while but we also got to see Beerus invent a technicality to allow him to both fulfill his mission and preserve an opportunity to fight Goku again in the future.]

The other thing I liked was of course Vegeta and that scene. Obligatory clip. spoiler[To cast aside his precious pride like that to save his family . . . wow, he's been whipped real good.]
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I thought the final battle was pretty good visually. It's something they can build upwards from and it should be nice to see them have a real life and death battle in the sequel.

As for the 'non drama', I think it's because they were so heavily using the kind of laid back feel of the older Dragonball replete with Emperor Pilaf and Shu/Mai.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Agreed that some of the cg use was groan-inducing.

But Toriyama does know how to have fun. DBZ has always been known for the "intense" action, but the quality always seemed to lie in the comedy/adventure material. Beerus was the perfect fit for the villain in this movie because he actually leaned more towards that wacky sensibility of the original Dragon Ball characters.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Let's be honest, Vegeta's spoiler["That's my Bulma!" moment followed by him just beating the shit out Beerus was probably the best scene in the movie, and probably any DragonBall Z movie.]
KarmaRocketX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
"Dragon Ball Z's fight scenes weren't generally very good"

You know... seriously.... shame on me here, but.....

...I honestly should have stopped reading this review LONG before I even got to that line.

However, it was also that line where I absolutely did stop reading.

So at least I spared myself from whatever gibberish came AFTER that. Instead of kicking myself for forcing myself to read what I did, I think i'm going to cut my losses and give myself the positive credit for knowing when to quit.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:52 am Reply with quote
I thought this movie was a lot of fun. You can really see Toriyama's hand in it, and it had a sense of pure fun that I felt DBZ lost sometime around the middle of the Freiza saga (Great Saiyaman, notwithstanding).

Funny story, I primarily enjoy DBZ via Dragon Ball Z Abridged these days. And juxtaposing this movie with that version of the cast, its weird how close to the mark DBZA actually sticks to.

Also, this is the first DBZ anything I've ever watched with the Japanese voice cast. Quite a bit different. But I dig it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
KarmaRocketX wrote:

...I honestly should have stopped reading this review LONG before I even got to that line.

Looking back, DBZ's fight scenes really aren't all that good. Anime that have come out since have done fight scenes better. Dring its time, particularly in the west, however, the fight scenes were amazing because there was nothing like it before. You even had The Powerpuff Girls emulating the choreography sometimes.

That being said, it didn't take long for anime with better fight scenes to appear on American television either, starting at least with Yu Yu Hakusho.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
though i liked the ending, unfortunately that ending [spoiler] where it turns out that his servant is actually his teacher and there are 12 universes in existence and theirs is the weakest[/quote] will of course both a gateway and an excuse for both akira and toei animation to make more DBZ movies like with the revivial of F movie which unfortunately doent bode well cause to make this interesting they will have to have freeza at or near berrus level. then there is the whole god form which have the whole debate on whether or not that is the actual SS4 or not. and if akira ends up confirming it, it will mean that other one from GT is completely filler and not cannon.

so while i like the movie, it unfortunately have opened up a massive can of worms that i doubt toei and the author can control.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
KarmaRocketX wrote:

Looking back, DBZ's fight scenes really aren't all that good. Anime that have come out since have done fight scenes better. Dring its time, particularly in the west, however, the fight scenes were amazing because there was nothing like it before. You even had The Powerpuff Girls emulating the choreography sometimes.

That being said, it didn't take long for anime with better fight scenes to appear on American television either, starting at least with Yu Yu Hakusho.

Biggest problem is they drag out far too long to point where you stop caring. The fights also being poorly animation didn't help either.
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
KarmaRocketX wrote:

Biggest problem is they drag out far too long to point where you stop caring. The fights also being poorly animation didn't help either.

To be fair: it should be noted that the Dragonball series (like much of many older anime and even some new anime today) suffered mostly from inconsistent animation rather than just straight poor quality. The issue derives from having many different animation supervisors with their own team of people who all draw the characters in their own way. Some episodes look great and even fantastic with really bold and impactful battle scenes. Others...not so much.

Kanzenshuu has a great, thorough guide to the various animation style in the series. I recommend checking it out: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/animation-styles/
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
The music was a huge improvement over the Japanese version of the TV series. It had the epicness that Bruce Faulconer brought, but in a different way.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
The music was a huge improvement over the Japanese version of the TV series. It had the epicness that Bruce Faulconer brought, but in a different way.

Bruce Faulconer's music could never hold a candle to Shunsuke Kikuchi's orchestral score.

Sumitomo's BoG stuff is pretty good. Too bad his Kai material is lacking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Bruce Faulconer's music could never hold a candle to Shunsuke Kikuchi's orchestral score.

Sumitomo's BoG stuff is pretty good. Too bad his Kai material is lacking.

Meanwhile, pigs are flying if that piece of sh*t score holds up to anything. Seriously, even by JDBZ standards, that is pathetic.

Last edited by the-antihero on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

People often accuse Faulconer of being repetitive and lazy, and you're absolutely right, he doesn't hold a candle to Shunsuke Kikuchi. The track you linked to must be one of the most boring and uninspired pieces of BGM I've ever heard.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
No accounting for taste, I guess.

I find that Kikuchi's score is brilliantly operatic and fittingly epic. It properly conveys what the show is supposed to be like, as opposed to artificial-sounding action movie music from the Faulconer score.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2