• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ninja Slayer From Animation Anime's 1st Trailer Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:35 am Reply with quote
So the word animu now moved on form youtube hatespeech to a real word. Ok. I am not crazy about moe blobs eather but this is trigger after all and the art style was commonplace in the 80s too. Let´s just hope for good action and a coherent characterisation. How are the novels by the way ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
That art style wasn't commonplace in the 80s anime outside of California Salvo Crisis. The character design surely doesn't match anything though.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
So the word animu now moved on form youtube hatespeech to a real word. Ok. I am not crazy about moe blobs eather but this is trigger after all and the art style was commonplace in the 80s too. Let´s just hope for good action and a coherent characterisation. How are the novels by the way ?

This isn't an 80's or 90's art style at all, this is about as modern as you can get. What is it about the trailer that's making people think it looks like the 80s/90s? I'm wondering if I'm missing something.
daichi383

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
Ingonring the moe girls for one second i think the thing that evokes crappy 80s/90s OVA's for me is the terrible colour work. Thats the worst possible shade of green possible. Either way i'm hoping if its terrible, its as terribly awesome as Inferno Cop otherwise i'll be vehemently disappointed.

Also since Akira Amemiya is the director and i've already seen a lot of hate for his animation style online i'm guessing more hate will flow his way when this comes out.

Rolling Eyes
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
This isn't an 80's or 90's art style at all, this is about as modern as you can get. What is it about the trailer that's making people think it looks like the 80s/90s? I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Flashy neon grafix is totes 80s, dudebro!

Honestly, most of this shit sounds like its coming from people who've never watched 80s anime outside of maybe Bubblegum Crisis and AKIRA. It comes off as more something pretending to be retro through pop-culture filters, much like any 80s themed party at a college campus means girls can only wear neon spandex, leg warmers, and headbands.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:

Flashy neon grafix is totes 80s, dudebro!

Honestly, most of this shit sounds like its coming from people who've never watched 80s anime outside of maybe Bubblegum Crisis and AKIRA. It comes off as more something pretending to be retro through pop-culture filters, much like any 80s themed party at a college campus means girls can only wear neon spandex, leg warmers, and headbands.

Considering the whole thing is a giant piss take on Western fans, wouldn't that make the satire more pointed?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
Either way i'm hoping if its terrible, its as terribly awesome as Inferno Cop otherwise i'll be vehemently disappointed.

Yeah, this looks like Inferno Cop with a budget. The music even sounds like Inferno Cop's credits theme.

I am looking forward to Ninja Slayer.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
How does this look THAT different from let´ say Megazone 23 besides the sharp chin ? I have only seen a few hundered 80s animes as my list shows but Mr. Red Shoulders will shure explain to me what i am missing'Wink'. Even Miura drew his 80s Futatabi oneshot not too differently. K-On this is not. Also who cares. People bitched about the Parasyte designs and now look at the views. Direction is everyting. Inferno Cop with a budget i could watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Mikimoto's soft designs from the mid-80s bridge the decades better than others, but your statement implies that designs overall have not drifted between the 80s and the present. I'm not saying this looks bad, I'm saying anyone who claims 80s anime in a general sense looked like this are full of it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow less then 5 minutes ? I learned my basic vacabulary through 80s animes in russia btw and there never was too much of a design estetic to me or it can very much adapt over time.
Just look how different Black Jack can look like. If you lined them up and removed the colors i would have a hard time. Or the constantly changing Lupin. Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone(very nice and gory) is the direct oposite of the recent Conan crap. Garden of Words or Angel's Egg could be a french cartoon if you changed only a few things and the currect Berserk chapters barely look like a manga anymore. How many european paintings has he reproduced now ?
Then there is AD Police Files: "The Man Who Bites His Tongue". Barely an anime right ? 2000AD comics look JUST like it. The desing esthetic I want to see back or that would fit is here is the one from the first half of the 90s. Like in Orguss 02 or even better Macross Plus.

The original Ninja Slayers look more like a M-Rated game with a cellshaded style to me then a current american comic. Jim Lee or Gregory Capullo this is not.
traveling

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
There really isn't much to go off in the trailer, so I'm confused by the early criticisms as if people have already watched the first episode.

The blonde girl is definitely no what I'd call moe design. Can we get a season announcement?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
Hello traveling wellcome to the internet where teasers mean content.
loempiavreter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
@residentgrigo

The novels are great, complete joy to read them, it's all playing with the words and writing, everything from lyrics to a silly cyberpunk mall songs to the silly one liners that put Kenshiro of Hokuto no Ken to shame or NInjslayer master's 'words of wisdom'.

I just love how most of the time it focus on villains, and then BOOM comes NInja Slayer, deus ex machina of death. He hides in the fridge, he dresses up as your local drug dealer... he's fricking everywhere!

Villains take the cake imo.

You have a Smoke (from Mortal Kombat) parody who fights with exploding cigars, called Black Haze.

Or what about Sonic Boom:

Skip the manga's though I think those are pretty crap.

The design for Nancy Lee is nothing a like, in the animation is crappy moe animu design.

I rest my case...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't see what's so moe about that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I don't see what's so moe about that.

It's always moe to someone. S'why so hard to define.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4