• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tekken 7 Producer: Lucky Chloe Character Is Exclusive to Europe, East Asia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VPedge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
people think Tekken is serious so much they forgot we got the ending with Paul fighting aliens come on now people.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
nyoron wrote:
I'm pretty sure Harada was joking.....or is he? Confused

I hope he's trolling because if not, he's lost his mind and it has to be the worst decision in gaming in 15 or so years.

Between Sega forever damaging Sonic's reputation with Sonic The Hedgehog 06 or Gearbox putting out a game that should've stayed dead in Duke Nukem Forever.......this is essentially small potatoes.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Xiaoyu trying to be DOA, but what's her background? With a name Chloe, so a Westerner dressed as weeaboo girl?

Hoppy800 wrote:

I found this dandy on Neogaf that sums up the rage and disdain for poor Chloe.

Quote:
Diversity is only good when it caters to my taste

That's fine too so long as people are fine with Western style in their J-diversity.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
It's pretty sad that American gamers will [probably] never have a chance playing as Lucky Chloe simply for the conceived reason that she'll be met with negative reception from the American public. No wonder why a substantial chunk of the Western gaming community is in a state of polarization... Sad

enurtsol wrote:
That's fine too so long as people are fine with Western style in their J-diversity.

Surely now you don't mean that you want people to be comfortable with having Western sensibilities being shoehorned into Japanese-centered media, no? I don't think many folks would be satisfied with that sort of mentality...
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote
I'd be really disappointed if this turns out to be true and a vocal minority actually got content censored/removed from a western release. I can only hope those tweets was poking fun at the complainers.

enurtsol wrote:

What do you mean by "western style"? Western ethnicity girls like Chloe and Lili? Or western drawn/designed girls like them being modeled like the girls in western games?

I don't have a problem with the former, in fact Lili is one of my favorite Tekken girls, but I'm not a fond of the latter. I generally don't find western aesthetics to be attractive, especially in video games. I do like recent trends of western companies hiring Japanese artists to designt their games like WayForward did with Shantae. I personally find Japanese Shantae cuter than Western Shantae.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
I personally find Japanese Shantae cuter than Western Shantae.

The anime levels of the 3DS game were amazing.
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
I find it rather humorous to no end that ANN and even some of you all are taking Harada's tweets so seriously and that this is even front page news.

If any person here knows how Harada handles stuff like this over twitter, then you already know that he's trolling the living hell out of anyone willing to believe his statement. He does this every time controversy over certain aspects of his games are put into question. He's not the type of person who hides and waits for the big-wigs to come up with a solution or answer to the situation. He'll come back at people with stupid questions with a sarcastic or stupid question of his own. This is one of the reasons why I love him as a game designer because he knows what he wants to do with his games and wants to cater all types of demographics when it comes to Tekken....not just Westerners.

Obviously, Americans (I'm included in this) and even some Europeans and such all think fighting games should always be serious with muscle bound, testosterone induced characters in order to be a acceptable game. This is what happened when Square-Enix brought Nier to the US and changed the lead character into some hulking pot of fail.....the game failed itself because it didn't target the people who really wanted the game and made it look rather generic. At any rate, ANN need to really do more research into this kind of stuff rather than just jumping at the first thing that seems like news when they don't know how people operate.

Just saying.......
xBTAx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
I'm fairly certain Harada's just taunting people and she'll be in the game, but I find it funny how quick some of you jumped to blame the dreaded "people who care about social justice" when all of the people I know (and myself) who you'd call that that've talked about her actually really want her in the game. It was mainly GAF/fighting game players complaining; this didn't have anything to do with Gamergate, for once.
Stullz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
NOOOO!!!!!!

America DOES NOT NEED more skinheads!!!!!
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
the plot thickens

http://www.p4rgaming.com/katsuhiro-harada-turns-tekken-7-into-first-person-shooter-exclusively-for-north-america/#

spoiler[of course if we take joke tweets seriously, why don't we take joke sites eriously as well ?]

Hideki-Motosuwa wrote:
This is what happened when Square-Enix brought Nier to the US and changed the lead character into some hulking pot of fail.....the game failed itself because it didn't target the people who really wanted the game and made it look rather generic.

and both character had penises anyway.[/spoiler]
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I'm going to assume that Play4real article about Tekken 7 being altered into a first-person-shooter title for Americans is little more than a joke. I've no doubt that if that were to truly occur, there will be outrage surging throughout the gaming community.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I hope he's trolling because if not, he's lost his mind and it has to be the worst decision in gaming in 15 or so years.

I was going to cite Atari's Pac-Man debacle, but then I read the "15 or so years" part.

Looks like there've been some pretty good examples of corporate mishandling up there already. I'd like to add in Capcom pretending Mega Man never existed, which made an enemy out of Keiji Inafune, and Nintendo's mishandled marketing with the Wii U that created nothing but confusion for the Wii's expanded audience and turned them away from the system.

I was also personally quite mad at The Pinball Arcade's third season doubling its prices while halving its output (the reason, apparently, is that Farsight Studios is having financial troubles, and this is its idea of remaining stable as a company), but I think I'm literally the only person who posts on the ANN forums who'd be concerned with that.

xBTAx wrote:
It was mainly GAF/fighting game players complaining; this didn't have anything to do with Gamergate, for once.

So it's business as usual? (It makes me wonder what their thoughts are on ACTUAL anime-esque fighting games. Dengeki Bunko Fighting Cimax must be like kryptonite to them.)
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

Can you really look back at the last few years of the Western gaming scene and say with certainty something like this couldn't happen? It's entirely possible with the way things are heading that this could be the reality of the American gaming scene. Just look at Grand Theft Auto V being banned in select stores. Jack Thompson would be proud.
Yes actually I can because games have hardly been forcibly censored. Most censoring was done soley because the Japanese side thought they had to. Seeing how there is nothing bad about this new character and fighting games for years have had this type of character I don't see why you're trying to pin this on western gaming(actually I do know why).

I'm not even sure why we're getting into any ethical conversation about something so tame and stupid.

GTA5 was banned in Australia not anywhere else and AUS has always been an exception not the rule. Faulty logic there.

Also would Jack Thompson be more proud of Japan where they do actually censor games?

Quote:
Now let's see if the Shonen Jump Weekly's get upset over being called out and try to play the homophobe card again like they did with Kamitani.
How are Shonen Jump Weekly getting called out? Oh wait they aren't and this is just a joke about character designs vs east and west.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
So it's business as usual? (It makes me wonder what their thoughts are on ACTUAL anime-esque fighting games. Dengeki Bunko Fighting Cimax must be like kryptonite to them.)

But DFC is obviously not a super serious game like Tekken so I'm sure it doesn't bother them.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
It would be just desserts for the American gaming crowd to just have a variety of muscle bound bald men as their avatar choices, while Europe and Asia get the full spectrum.

The Japanese are tired of hearing the same old complaints. That's why they region block their websites, and tell foreigners to stay away.

That said, I hope Harada is just joking, because there are plenty of American gamers that are perfectly fine with anime centric characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4