• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuri Kuma Arashi (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Mm, spoiler[a journey down memory lane]. We learn more about spoiler[Ginko's past and I find it kinda interesting. Fantastic development though imo in regards to characterization. There are some more cryptic dialogues like the "promised kiss" and whatnot.]

And as usual, spoiler[KUMA SHOCK.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Because I (and probably the rest too) am so tired of me saying here how much I don't like the directing of this show and especially the dialogue, I'll say that at least Lulu is the only character that I kind of like-ish, because she's the closest to actually talk like a person instead of super conceptual lines that try to hammer into your brain as catchphrases, even if her role is just being on the side without actual development (so far) and she doesn't act very differently, but in comparison she's a shining star. That and her episode was the only one I didn't dislike.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
^So are you just hate-watching at this point or are you trying to convince everyone else to agree with you and dislike it?

Tbh, my favorite parts are whenever we go over the wall and see Lulu and Ginko's lives as bears. I wonder what this series would've been like if it was told entirely from the bears' POV? I'm liking it more and more as it develops the characters, but it's going to take a lot in the last 5 episodes to get this anywhere near the ballpark of Ikuni's previous work (except for season 4 of Sailor Moon, it's still way ahead of that stinker).

Also, yay for Gounod's Ave Maria.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I am thinking the likely suspect is spoiler[the headmaster, she got the other girls to ostracise Kureha for some sort of have her to herself]. Perhaps she killed spoiler[the mother because she passed the necklace onto Ginko, and now has it out for Ginko].
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:27 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
^So are you just hate-watching at this point or are you trying to convince everyone else to agree with you and dislike it?

I wouldn't say hate-watching, it's more knowing what this is building up to (because there are a lot of metaphors that don't quite add up for me and I want to see if they actually make sense or not) and seeing if I can find that special touch that everybody else is loving but I'm not seeing. And I comment because I think my point of view is as valid as the rest, but if I don't have anything else to comment because the same problems I have are the same then I'll just shut up because I don't have anything else to add.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
@justsomeaccount - you don't strike me as a hate-watcher. Those knobs bug me. They usually make it very clear they have zero expectation that the show is going to deliver anything positive on any level to them but, for some reason, they get a little tingle in their schwingle by bitching about stuff. I don't think you fall into that category.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Another cliffhanger this week. And spoiler[not only that but I also found the flashbacks to be quite interesting in regards to Yuriika. Turns out she was a bear after all although I didn't find it surprising.]

Still, that case of spoiler[love turned into quite a crime didn't it? D:]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I found this episode decent. For one part when there is a lot of narration and order of events like with Yuurika's backstory it's easier for me to stand this kind of dialogue, and I found Yuurika's theme about purety and whatnot interesting enough (although everything comes down to "everything that doesn't fit my selfish needs (her parent helping another, Rea caring for her daughter) is impure"). I guess we have to suspend our desbelief about men in this human world and how Kureha's mother had a baby though (although Yuurika's parent was called "Him", hum...).

Also, the last scene was more well directed than everything before, a little much more expressions, shadows and atmosphere, and the twists thrown there are interesting, especially about Sumika's relationship with Ginko (because we know Ginko didn't kill her so it must be other thing), which I still don't know if there were hints about that before or it's improvised, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because everything that makes Sumika a more fleshed-out character instead of the previous unidimensional ideal lover is welcomed. However, I still don't know why Ginko's sin is translated to her not being able to tell Kureha about her pendant given by her mother because of friendship (it only stretches the misunderstanding so unless it has something to do with her sin it doesn't make sense she hides it until the last scene), and I don't know either why Lulu told Ginko's secret if that's going to put her in danger as this cliffhanger showed.

Apart from that, the other confusing thing to me is that I still don't have clear what it's up with the separation between humans and bears. At first I thought they were the same thing except that you are a bear when you are like sexually active (whatever being normal o kill/rape), but now they are different indentities for each individual of different locations, and bears are still the ones that are being so judged and the ones who can eat others while humans (in theory) not. What's exactly the point of that? Because "strangers from other country" doesn't fit there at all.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I might be really dense, but does anyone else think that Ginko's "crime" spoiler[with respect to Sumika was pretending to be her? In other words, Sumika and Ginko are the same person?]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
unlikely. they were both in the same classroom back in ep 1
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Although, "that would be logically impossible" hardly seems like much of a barrier in this show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
What do you know, my spoiler[post last week was pretty much the story of this episode.]

I just love the style in this series. I start off thinking that I will just skip the OP, but I listen to it pretty much each time because its tone seems so good. Everything from stylised normal scenes, dopey looking bears, auto tune things like "kuma shock", silly looking bear like outfits, and the odd threatening part. The ED too which can just be entertaining by showcasing a bear dancing around.

Penguindrum's style ended up annoying me, perhaps I have aged or something but this just keeps pulling me in.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
unlikely. they were both in the same classroom back in ep 1

First, Laughing at Yttrbio's response. I had forgotten the above (bear shock!) but there might be ways around it. First, we don't know yet why Ginko had to "leave" Kureha's world (or maybe I've just forgotten that, too). Reia gives her that pendant before she goes and calls it a love charm.

It just seems odd to me that Sumika appears at some point and Kureha forgets all about Ginko and forms this strong bond with a "new" girl. Perhaps the pendant is some kind of magic thing that allows Ginko to personify herself as a separate entity. Perhaps whatever reason she had to leave in the first place was no longer in effect and she returned which means "Sumika" was no longer needed. I dunno. There's always been something about the way Sumika has been treated by the show that seems a little off.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
First, we don't know yet why Ginko had to "leave" Kureha's world (or maybe I've just forgotten that, too).

Didn't she have to leave because of the day of severance? I assume the shot of the "door" sliding closed after Reia gives her the pendant was her going behind the wall.

[/spoiler]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

spoiler[Destiny]....there's plenty of that going around.

Decent episode in regards to the development and poor spoiler[Kureha, she is suffering a lot from the inside as she couldn't even tell what was the lie and truth.]

Anyways, spoiler[I wonder what she discovered at the end of the episode. Guess we'll figure out next time. Plenty of "love" to go around this week.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8