• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hulu Streams Karate Master/Karate Baka Ichidai TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
So, basically, a Roadhouse you can't laugh at?
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Well that's very interesting news to hear, I'll add 2 or 3 episodes on my Hulu queue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
REDOG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
The "Masutatsu Oyama" in the end is not the creator,the mangaka is ikki kajiwara. Mautatsu Oyama (aka mas oyama) was probably considered the toughest karatist in history, and the series and manga is inspired by him. He was actually korean ("zainichi" aka korean-japanese) who somehow migrated to japan in world war 2 and (if my memory is correct) was almost a kamikaze himself, because until a certain period he kept his korean identity hidden. If i remember correctly, the baka in the title was an attempt of the mangaka to scorn him, or simply make a comedy about him, and portray him as a tough muscle head who trains very hard at the expense of his intelligence or something.

Anyway, he was known (and notorious) for breaking bulls horns and then killing them, breaking the largest tower of flagstones (or some similar matter) in history, and in some 70's karate tournament knocking down 70 japanese karatists one after another, and training by punching rocks. There even was a (probably made up) rumor that he was the only one of wang shu chin's (probably the toughest and ironically fatest known chinese internal martial arts master, who was known for being able to take very powerful strikes in every area in his body, testicles included, without flinching and never losing and winning every opponent in his whole life, including western boxers, all sorts of japanese martial artists and other chinese kung fu masters) opponents to be able to fight him at all.

Some footage of masutatsu oyama (and wang shu chin) exist in youtube and wikipedia (minus wang shu chin)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Now, if Hulu could find a permanent option that allows paying subscribers to not have to be subjected to ads.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1