• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Film Scheduled For 2016, Focuses on Yūgi, Kaiba

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
...there is also another huge animation series, called Beyblade. How does it compare to this YGO project? Is it better or worse?

I think Beyblade's story format is similar to how Yu-Gi-Oh has been run, more or less. Each season of an arc (there are three) lasts 51-52 episodes, totaling 154 per arc, so you'll see an ending of the show before you know it.

I hope this helps. Smile
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

One more question, if I may: there is also another huge animation series, called Beyblade. How does it compare to this YGO project? Is it better or worse?
Like was said they are both around the same length. Beyblade is a bit kiddier than Yu-Gi-Oh however (and seems even more toy-focused). Also, though people fighting with card games is a bit silly, people fighting with tops seems even more so.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
One more question, if I may: there is also another huge animation series, called Beyblade. How does it compare to this YGO project? Is it better or worse?

Beyblade has a few interesting things about it, but it's never really come close to Yu-Gi-Oh for me. It's more shallow overall, but they do know how to make spinning top fights pretty hardcore..

I'd always take Yu-Gi-Oh over it though, more story and better characters.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Another difference is that Yu-Gi-Oh! was not originally made to sell merchandise whereas Beyblade was. Thus, Kazuki Takahashi just made stuff up as he went as the actual card game tried to adapt itself as best it could, rather than the other way around.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
If you can't stand the cards, there is a story arc near the end of the original series about what happened in ancient Egypt and its pharaoh that kickstarted the whole premise. There is no card-dueling, as it hadn't yet existed. It is personally my favorite arc in the original series, though it dragged on for a bit. (Not any more than One Piece's Enies Lobby arc or Bleach's battle with Aizen though.)

The Memories arc was supposed to go on a lot longer, actually, but the series started declining in rankings once the card game vanished and WSJ basically told Takahashi to wrap it up within a few weeks. Also Takahashi was hospitalized during that part of the manga so he lost some time on that bit. The anime version actually expanded upon it longer than the manga did.

Most people didn't like the series before the card game introduction, and after it left they lost interest. Which is why all the sequel series feature the card game prominently because that's what the fans want. It's also why I think the sequel series are better written. The duels in the original series were pretty convoluted and long-winded, sometimes lasting upwards of 6 to 8 episodes. After Duel Monsters, duels pretty much never lasted more than 2 episodes. They were a lot better written and more streamlined, probably because they hired experts at the card game to help plan them out, where as the original series Takahashi was just making stuff up as he went along for the duels and the anime had to adapt those duels rather than making their own, outside the anime-only filler stuff.

But basically Yu-Gi-Oh is your typical shounen only instead of devil fruits or ninjutsu they summoning monsters and use magic cards.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I'm not surprised people stuck around for the card game stuff. Me, I was pretty impartial to it, since I was more interested in the characters.

I did notice in later series that some of the in-series duels would provide tips and tricks and that there were fewer changes to the cards when the actual product came out though.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies.

And yes, that Beyblade video is crazy. I imagine if I would be little kid again then such anime would make me want to play with the toy and fantasise how I would be destroying bad guys (and everything around within the range of a tactical nuclear missile) with this spinning thing. Cards do less damage than the toy, unless you are Hisoka from Hunter X Hunter.

But for now I will include YGO in my want-to-see plan, and then decide whether I will be able to be childish enough and excited with the hardcore Yo-Yo (or how the toy is called? Beyblade?) fantasy action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3