• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo Cosplay Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
Is there something wrong with the voting system? I get the black guy from FFXIII every two votes I do for some odd reason.

It's like this:

Sazh Katzroy vs. XX
XX vs. XXX
XXX vs. Sazh Katzroy
XXXX vs. XXX
Sazh Katzroy vs. X
XX vs. XXXX
Sazh Katzroy vs. XXXX

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
they're all pretty good I'd hate to be the judge.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
Yoshball wrote:
I am disappointed that a majority of the finalists are just cute girls in cosplay. There were so many more costumes that were interesting or difficult to pull off, but people ignored that just to vote for people who are good looking, skinny, and female. Isn't this about the costumes?

Yes, this! I thought those Berserk cosplayers were really good. It looked to me like they spent a lot of time on their costume. But I noticed that when I was voting on day two, I kept getting the same cosplay girls in corsets fed to me in the "random" votes. I was only given the choice of the Berserk cosplayers maybe 3 or 4 times, and I up-voted them each time. The voting seemed so wonky in the way I kept having to vote on certain people over and over again, I decided not to vote anymore.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Is there something wrong with the voting system? I get the black guy from FFXIII every two votes I do for some odd reason.

It's like this:

Sazh Katzroy vs. XX
XX vs. XXX
XXX vs. Sazh Katzroy
XXXX vs. XXX
Sazh Katzroy vs. X
XX vs. XXXX
Sazh Katzroy vs. XXXX

Because apparently there is no easier system of ranking them then by voting on every-single-possible-combination head-to-head. Granted is forces someone to actually consider them against the others, which could cause better results than a flat out single-shot positioning... it just takes FOREVER (and since you don't know in advance that is the "normal" method, it makes you wonder if the site is broken.)

Also sounds like there were some interesting options that didn't make the finals.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
We have an alternate algorhythm for the votes that pairs them off in a more efficient manner to reach a top 5 quicker. I'll use that method next time to see if people prefer it.

-t
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
I think this voting system is crap. (No offense meant to the person who made/implemented it.)

I thought the best cosplayer, by far, was the one girl who went as Link from Zelda... but after voting through each person she wasn't even in the top 5 of my votes?! That doesn't make any sense... I voted for her all 3 times she appeared in the choices and yet the system calculated 5 other cosplayers as my top 5?

And it isn't even just that... but the ones it chose as my "top 5" aren't even close to the ones that I would have picked... In fact, for 4 of the 5 cosplayers shown in my top five I always voted against... so how is it they got voted up?!

Why couldn't they just give us a flat out album and then just have us pick out the 5 we liked the best? Wouldn't that have been easier and more to the point?

Just because you might like A more than B and B more than C doesn't necessarily mean you'll like A more than C as well... It all depends on what the voting options are.

I might like the detail of costume A better than the detail of costume B. I also might like the effort put into costume B more than the effort put into costume C. But that doesn't mean that the person wearing costume C isn't able to pull off their look better than the person wearing costume A.

This voting system isn't broken.. it's just highly unfair.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:11 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
And it isn't even just that... but the ones it chose as my "top 5" aren't even close to the ones that I would have picked... In fact, for 4 of the 5 cosplayers shown in my top five I always voted against... so how is it they got voted up?!

The same thing happened to me. I was pretty much forced to vote for this one costume over a dozen times, and she ended up as the number one vote getter because of that. The algorithm kept feeding her image against others over and over, so she took first, even though my favorite was clearly the Berserk cosplayers (who came in 5th!! ? !), whom I only got fed by the algorithm four times.

R315r4z0r wrote:
Just because you might like A more than B and B more than C doesn't necessarily mean you'll like A more than C as well... It all depends on what the voting options are.

I might like the detail of costume A better than the detail of costume B. I also might like the effort put into costume B more than the effort put into costume C. But that doesn't mean that the person wearing costume C isn't able to pull off their look better than the person wearing costume A.

This voting system isn't broken.. it's just highly unfair.

I don't think the algorithm was designed to be unfair, but you make a good point about how mathematically flawed this thing was, results appearing as if they were skewed in favor of certain characters.

A clear favorite 1 though 5 (or 10) voting system would have worked much better. It would be nice to at least try this, and compare the results.

I had my husband take a look at it after I spent (way too long) voting on day two's choices. It was just poorly designed. In his words "messed up" (He has designed algorithms for Banks and Universities BTW, so he knows about this.)

---I hope you didn't pay a lot for this algorithm, Tempest.

edited to add: My husband suspects the problem might occur because of the "too close to call" voting button which will be clicked mostly for the middle-of-the-pack choices which are neither best nor worst. Since the algorithm can't recognize those as favored choices, it feeds those middle numbers repeatedly, searching for a definitive result.
By this reasoning, the favorites have been chosen from the median. urgh. Confused

Last edited by tuxedocat on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:26 am Reply with quote
I give up. I keep getting the same photo of some of these cosplays multiple times in a row (I got Panty and Stocking as one of the choices 7 TIMES IN A ROW and the Suckerpunch girls 9 TIMES IN A ROW!!), and it looks like that the system is cycling thru the same 7 pictures, with maybe the others thrown in for an occasional chuckle.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:21 am Reply with quote
Hmm, judging from the comments it might be a good idea to revamp the voting system, seems there are some underlying flaws in its mechanics (I imagine it would really be a pain, though). Easier said than done, right? Laughing But, with respect to the sincere efforts of these cosplayers, and to more accurately and legitimately reflect the voters favorites, it seems reasonable to hold a recall with a revised system in light of what appears to be unbalanced vote allocations.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I kept getting a cosplayer whom I will call Girl B fed over and over. Girl B's cosplay was fairly good. I would have ranked her towards the top of the middle-pack. However, I was never given the choice to vote for Girl B over my top 3 or 4 choices. She ended up as my top choice, which was totally wrong.

The algorithm obviously didn't understand the difference between "too close to call" (unfavored) and "too close to call" (favored). Every time the "too close to call" button is clicked, the algorithm is, I suspect, assigning the two choices a positive value, despite being favored or unfavored by the voter.

ie.: I am given the choice between to middle-pack choices and I click "too close to call". The algorithm assigns both photos a value of +1. A clear up vote is going to assign a value of +2. However, +1 is not a definitive choice, so those photos keep popping up as choices. The accumulative effect of positive values bumps middle choices up into the top tier. The more you click "too close to call" the more the photos in those choices are awarded a positive value. (our theory)

I remember the NBAA voting system was just a clear list, where the voters were ranking their choices numerically. May seem very rudimentary, but it works.

This voting system used for this coplay contest not only produces wierd results, it was also extremely cumbersome and time consuming, and the results suspect.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I think this voting system is crap. (No offense meant to the person who made/implemented it.)

I thought the best cosplayer, by far, was the one girl who went as Link from Zelda... but after voting through each person she wasn't even in the top 5 of my votes?! That doesn't make any sense... I voted for her all 3 times she appeared in the choices and yet the system calculated 5 other cosplayers as my top 5?

I think the top 5 shown at the end are the current top 5 as calculated by everyone, not your top 5. Could be wrong.

But I agree that the voting system is a bit odd.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
Hmm, judging from the comments it might be a good idea to revamp the voting system, seems there are some underlying flaws in its mechanics (I imagine it would really be a pain, though). Easier said than done, right? Laughing

Just a simple "Here are the contenders, click the button next to the pic to chose your favorite" would've sufficed.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I think the top 5 shown at the end are the current top 5 as calculated by everyone, not your top 5. Could be wrong.

That was the conclusion I came to (considering how many were at the bottom of my list.) Your personal top-5 updates itself as you vote... the left-most images. Which is helpful in that you can make sure not to throw-away vote the same one too many times.

For anyone who reads the boards first, how does it handle the "too close to call" votes? Half each or no points? (You can hover over the picture to see the number of votes, or current contenders' ranks at the end.)
SaiyaKaizoku

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
I agree with the consensus that this voting system should be redone. There were too many times where I had to throw my vote away just to be able to get a chance to vote on my favorites. A simple numbered ranking system would have been better.

Although, I will say that I'm glad that Hyunkel ended up as a finalist. One little nit pick, he should have chosen to either hold his sword or wear it on his helmet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3