• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Holiday Hustle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
It's also very funny to see that rightstuf is still selling leftover stock of video UMDs: http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/pHVTdjd2B1ACNtDz-9/browse/item/104280/4/0/0

They even have that bundle that has 2 live-action movies, two anime series, and Appleseed on UMD. Too much awesome Anime hyper
mrakai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I recently watched the Kiki Disney BD with my wife since she hadn't seen it before.

It feels like whomever reconstructed the dub without the added lines either had terrible source material or just didn't care, because the audio levels for certain characters (most notably Kiki herself) are so bad they distort even at low volumes.

This clipping was not present in the original 2003 DVD release but has been in place since the 2009(or so) DVD re-release.

I contacted Disney's support and they basically blew me off with a (paraphrased) "Sorry you didn't like it, and we've told somebody about it, maybe"

It's so sad because I really enjoy that dub and my wife's dyslexia sometimes makes subtitles hard to handle.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I know a hardcore otaku who boasted he has so many anime stored in hard drive. I was like, "oh okay, whatever". Weird thing is that he hoards all those media, yet he can't speak anything interesting or meaningful about his collection.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Just an FYI:

The 2010 DVD release and Blu-ray of Kiki's Delivery Service are dubtitled (based off the Disney dub).

The 2003 DVD release featured the Streamline subtitles (which actually were pretty faithful, more often than not). Both the Japanese and the English audio track were slightly mistimed, however (about a quarter to a half second ahead of the video).

2010 was the year Disney replaced the subs on Castle and Kiki with their Disney dubtitles (which were straight dubtitles 80~90% of the time). Inconsistencies galore compared to a literal translation. The Blu-Rays reused these dubtitles, with only a few changes here and there. The audio timing for Kiki's has been fixed since 2010, but many fans note an issue with the English audio frequently sounding distorted during high-volume portions (on both the 2010 DVD and BD). EDIT: Or even during low-volume portions, as mrakai described above. I have no interest in the dub myself, so I can't personally attest to the issue.

So I imagine that anyone importing Castle in the Sky or Princess Mononoke would probably want to import Kiki as well, or stick with the 2003 DVD (though this version has by far the worst encoding of the three domestic releases).
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Justin, that's a fantastic reference of Ghibli releases!

Re: Geneon & ADV discs, hah, I'm buying them up now in the Rightstuf sales!

Re: DRM anime. I too feel it's not going to happen unfortunately. However, I must disagree with you partially about books since there is a certain portion of the publishing industry that is DRM-free. For manga, DMP's e-manga are DRM free. For other books, virtually all of the technical books and most creative technical books are DRM-free. I don't mean Kindle books, but the epub and PDFs you can buy directly from publishers. They're not as cheap as Kindle versions, but are discounted when bought with physical bundle, or are free with physical in No Starch Press's case.

O'Reilly, InformIT (Pearson), Packt, No Starch Press, Mindshare, etc are all major publishers in this field. O'Reilly went DRM-free in 2008 and ebook revenue jumped 104% in one year. They have this article DRM-Free Day, forever explaining their reason and even highlights some contention from their own authors.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
"Discs are too perishable" is such a canard. I've lost far more content from hard drive failures than I ever have from disc rot on commercial releases, which is "nothing" -- heck, even the DVD-Rs I burned as long ago as 2005 have still been reliable. There's just so much more that can go wrong with hard drives, whether it's power failures, power surges, drives getting dropped or knocked over, transportation mishaps, breathing too hard on them... Whereas with reasonably careful handling, the only things that're really going to damage one's access to content and commercial discs are theft and disasters like fires and floods. And all of those will affect hard drives just the same.

Same. I have a large music commerically pressed CD collection. Some of the CDs are really old, some being as old as the late 1980s. I've only had 1 commercially pressed CD go bad on me - the 1993 version of ABBA Gold. It had zero scratches, but a few of the tracks stopped being able to play. Literally, every player you would stick it in, the player would see an error there and would skip over those tracks. It was very strange.

I did find out that early '90s European pressed CDs have become notorious for failing. 1993 ABBA Gold was pressed in Germany. There was just some issue with the plants. So the failure for that may not even have been disc rot and more of it being pressed badly. FWIW, the CD did work for a long time, just started failing in the past few years.

After that loss I have now backed up my entire CD collection on a RAID file server, because I do have some ultra rare, expensive stuff that is difficult to find copies of even on the internet.

But yeah, with all the DVDs and BluRays and CDs and disc based video games I have and only 1 thing has gone bad in all that time, yet I've had several hard drives die over the years... I think the priorities in that particular email to Justin strange.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
A notable example of the manga-ka being involved with the anime version was Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira because he directed it.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
DJStarstryker wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
"Discs are too perishable" is such a canard. I've lost far more content from hard drive failures than I ever have from disc rot on commercial releases, which is "nothing" -- heck, even the DVD-Rs I burned as long ago as 2005 have still been reliable. There's just so much more that can go wrong with hard drives, whether it's power failures, power surges, drives getting dropped or knocked over, transportation mishaps, breathing too hard on them... Whereas with reasonably careful handling, the only things that're really going to damage one's access to content and commercial discs are theft and disasters like fires and floods. And all of those will affect hard drives just the same.

Same. I have a large music commerically pressed CD collection. Some of the CDs are really old, some being as old as the late 1980s. I've only had 1 commercially pressed CD go bad on me - the 1993 version of ABBA Gold. It had zero scratches, but a few of the tracks stopped being able to play. Literally, every player you would stick it in, the player would see an error there and would skip over those tracks. It was very strange.

I did find out that early '90s European pressed CDs have become notorious for failing. 1993 ABBA Gold was pressed in Germany. There was just some issue with the plants. So the failure for that may not even have been disc rot and more of it being pressed badly. FWIW, the CD did work for a long time, just started failing in the past few years.

After that loss I have now backed up my entire CD collection on a RAID file server, because I do have some ultra rare, expensive stuff that is difficult to find copies of even on the internet.

But yeah, with all the DVDs and BluRays and CDs and disc based video games I have and only 1 thing has gone bad in all that time, yet I've had several hard drives die over the years... I think the priorities in that particular email to Justin strange.

Yeah hard drives are not as reliable but I can see where he's coming from. For music if available, I mostly buy the mp3s (or FLACs on bandcamp) and back them up to burned DVD+Rs, BD-Rs. I do both for anime, buying the discs and use digital rips.

But his point about all the space discs take up is true and so is the convenience of a fileserver. So I pack all the originals in these boxes instead of shelves for space efficiency, which also serves as backup, and use the digital version for viewing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Having been forced to sit through half of Arrietty with the UK dub due to a technical hiccup in the cinema...

Ha, that reminds me of the time I went to see The Wizard of Oz in a theater and the final B&W reel was in Spanish.
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Widespread misconception: The only options for Studio Ghibli BDs other than the sometimes-dubtitled USA versions and region-B UK ones is shelling out for the Japanese ones.

If you don't need the US dubs (which they don't have), the (real, not bootleg) Taiwan and Hong Kong releases have the same video encode, Japanese audio and official English subtitles as the Japanese originals – albeit with the exceptions of the first two, Ponyo and Nausicaä, having some problems and Grave of the Fireflies and Ghiblies episode2 not yet released there. See links made earlier in paragraph for threads at Blu-ray.com with some information on getting them from shops which aren't riddled with bootlegs (as one needs to be careful with when buying from Taiwan and HK).

Don't bother with the Australian and UK versions (which are the same). If you thought Disney didn't care, wait till you meet StudioCanal: Subtitles are official but sometimes yellow instead of white, video encodes go out of their way to be un-director approved by shifting colours and applying noise reduction after Miyazaki requested against it and though more extras are subtitled, animation terminology has been translated not into English equivalents but literally (genga is "original drawings" instead of key animation, etc.), rendering it gobbledygook anyway.

All of which I find very sad. Had they read up on the filmmaker's intentions and on animation terminology, these could have been perfect. As it is, the Japanese editions remain the only ones to actually present every one of the theatrical features correctly, but if you don't mind them looking inconsistent on your shelf there are these cheaper options.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ha, that reminds me of the time I went to see The Wizard of Oz in a theater and the final B&W reel was in Spanish.
Wow; as if that movie needed to get any darker. Smile Now she gets home in the end, only to find that everyone she loved is speaking in another language, and the movements of their lips don't quite match up with their voices. Dorothy began to open her own mouth to protest – but then, strangest of all, someone else's voice came out!

Be careful what you wish for, because you might just get it… But in Spanish.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Disney has always had the license to Princess Mononoke...

None of this is true at all. Disney had to renegotiate and relicense all of the Ghibli films. That's how GKids got theatrical rights out of nowhere.

Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up (I had no idea Disney even cared that much about the Ghibli catalog). I wonder how GKIDS was able to get home video rights for Poppy Hill and Princess Kaguya, or if they might possibly release Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves...

Still, at least Princess Mononoke isn't tied up with that Miramax mess anymore...
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
That ghibli blu ray list needs to be archived some where for future reference.
Norbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Having been forced to sit through half of Arrietty with the UK dub due to a technical hiccup in the cinema I'd like to do a PSA and warn people that it's not very good. Saoirse Ronan is okay as Arrietty, but everyone else gives these weird, stilted performances. I get the feeling there might have been a bad director working on it or something.

Could it be you were just pissed of because of the hiccup and no matter how good the dub you would have still hated it?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
The 2010 DVD release and Blu-ray of Kiki's Delivery Service are dubtitled (based off the Disney dub).

False. I checked this one myself. The subtitles on the Disney Blu-ray are, with a couple of minor tweaks, the same as on the 2003 DVD.

Spoofer wrote:
The 2003 DVD release featured the Streamline subtitles (which actually were pretty faithful, more often than not). Both the Japanese and the English audio track were slightly mistimed, however (about a quarter to a half second ahead of the video).

I literally just checked the 2003 disc. It did not have sync problems. I don't know where you're getting this stuff.

Spoofer wrote:
The audio timing for Kiki's has been fixed since 2010, but many fans note an issue with the English audio frequently sounding distorted during high-volume portions (on both the 2010 DVD and BD). EDIT: Or even during low-volume portions, as mrakai described above.
I actually heard this distortion on the 2003 DVD as well. It's quite slight, but I think the nicer 5.1 systems people have these days (and possibly the lossless audio on the Blu-ray) make people notice it more. I don't have access to the Japanese disc, but I wonder if it's like that too. It may just be how that dub was recorded.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Spoofer wrote:

I literally just checked the 2003 disc. It did not have sync problems. I don't know where you're getting this stuff.

Maybe he's just spoofing us? Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5