• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Digimon Anime's Staff, Key Visual, Title Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
It's not like it went from Transformers Unicron Trilogy (robot design-wise) to something as horrendous as Transformers Animated.

Some of us like Animated you know. And the Armada designs were way worse, especially the toys.

On topic, I don't have a problem in the slightest with these character designs. I don't know what people expected them to look like. They're high school students (mostly) now, they aren't going to look like elementary kids anymore. I had no trouble picking out who each character was, it's really not that hard, I don't know why some people act like it is.

And really, after all these pages of people fixated on the hair (they're FALLING FROM THE SKY!!) not a single person pointed out that Joe isn't wearing glasses. It's no wonder why some of you people can't tell the characters apart when you can't even notice something as glaringly different about a character as that!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:35 am Reply with quote
Joe is still wearing his glasses. Its just a bit hard to see, but you can make out the glasses' nose bridge.
ShanaChanTT

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
I cant tell whos matt/ izzy/ sora/ mimi/ and is that kairi at teh right?

and tk.

I cant tell if im into the awrt or not Razz
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:02 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Some of us like Animated you know.

And some of us don't.

Emerje wrote:

And the Armada designs were way worse, especially the toys.

I'll give it this: Some of the toys were decent. Then again, most toys from every line was sh*t, so that's a rather a moot point. Besides, the best toys I saw came from RiD (2001) but the anime itself was...well, it certainly wasn't anything to brag about but at least it wasn't Victory and Japanese Beast Wars.

But in response to animation designs:

http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/thumb/d/d7/ArmadaOptimusPrime_dvd.jpg/350px-ArmadaOptimusPrime_dvd.jpg
vs
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/thumb/9/98/OptimusPrimeAnimated.JPG/300px-OptimusPrimeAnimated.JPG

No contest, Armada isn't Teen Titans.

vanfanel wrote:
the-antihero wrote:
But as usual, older fans bitch and moan over the superficial crap. It's not like the art is bad, so what's the problem?

Huh? Most of the comments so far seem pretty open to this style.

There's some positive, but there's still some Gen 1 purists, or whatever you call first series fans in Digimon fandom, (Digineration 1?) making a stink over it.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm willing to watch it since I didn't like the look of the original Digimon anime. Bony figures with big hands and big hair, their wardrobes didn't do it for me either.
yu3lora

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:39 am Reply with quote
WAAAH!!! Awesome! I hope its a new story. Not related to 02.. Just hoping.

Yah see, I like Taichi and Sora pair. But they don't end up in 02. *sigh* How sad. Rolling Eyes
Garudyne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
I don't mind a design change... but I do mind the main characters having the same face. Seriously, look at them. Their individual personalities doesn't shine through at all (not to say that the design in the original did that perfectly, because it didn't, but it wasn't this bad). Maybe they will look better once its actually animated... Anyway, what matters most is the content. If they do something interesting with the characters and plot then I'll like it... but I'm afraid that this show will just be a lazy cashgrab.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
since the franchise started as a mere Pokemon ripoff.

You mean "a mere Tamagotchi rip-off", right? =P
The original marketing for the series, let alone anything after that, had nothing to do with Pokemon until it hit the West. It was like any other potentially big seller in how it spanned into a bunch of different media. Comparisons between the two in Japan were no more frequent than Monster Farm or even Cardcaptor Sakura, interestingly enough. I only really saw a heavy comparison between the two in America, and it was probably more because of the similar names (and similar popular lizard creatures that dawned everything imaginable--Charizard and Greymon) than the content itself.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
I wonder why they decided to go with this artwork versus the traditional Digimon artwork.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
the-antihero wrote:
since the franchise started as a mere Pokemon ripoff.

You mean "a mere Tamagotchi rip-off", right? =P
The original marketing for the series, let alone anything after that, had nothing to do with Pokemon until it hit the West. It was like any other potentially big seller in how it spanned into a bunch of different media. Comparisons between the two in Japan were no more frequent than Monster Farm or even Cardcaptor Sakura, interestingly enough. I only really saw a heavy comparison between the two in America, and it was probably more because of the similar names (and similar popular lizard creatures that dawned everything imaginable--Charizard and Greymon) than the content itself.

To go further into this...

Pokemon is inspired by Satoshi Tajiri growing up catching bugs and making them battle, which is/was apparently popular among Japanese children, especially in rural battles. The original games (Red and Green) were released in Japan on February 27, 1996. The anime would later follow, starting in Japan on April 1, 1997.

Digimon, on the other hand, was inspired by the Tamogachi virtual pets, except ones that you could raise and battle. The original v-pet was released in Japan on June 26, 1997. The anime followed later, with the original movie released in theaters on March 6, 1999 (this was the movie about Taichi and Hikari meeting the Koromon, which ties in closely to the first series). A series came a day later, on March 7, 1999.

The US releases of the two series are closer together. The anime first aired on September 7, 1998, followed closely by the original Pokemon games, Red and Blue*, which were released on September 28, 1998. Digimon, on the other hand, debuted in the US less than a year later, on August 14, 1999, and the v-pet was released after the anime.

With the Digimon anime debuted in the US less than a year after Pokemon did, and the marketing heavily capitalized on making it seem similar to Pokemon. I can't find release dates for the v-pet in the US, but I remember them coming out after the anime (because we got the ones that looked like the digivices), which made it appear that the v-pets were based on the anime, not the other way around, furthering how "similar" they were.

The sources themselves, though, are not very similar. You have one Digimon, that you can raise and battle, and it's much more of a pet that you have to take care of than anything in Pokemon. With Pokemon, on the other hand, the player character catches tons of Pokemon, and the game follows a story.

Yes, the series became closer when the anime of Digimon came out, pairing children with the title monsters, but the stories of the two are nothing alike. At the time, however, Pokemon and Digimon were the only "kid and partner(s) do battle against others" series, so the similarities and marketing very much did make it seem like a rip-off. However, looking at them now, especially with all of the other "kid and partner(s)" series (Monster Rancher, Medabots, Zachbell, etc) available in the US, it's easy to see that none of them are "rip-offs" of other series, they just use the same trope.

Really, comparing the two and saying that one is a rip-off of the other is like saying that all YA dystopian fiction is a rip-off of the Hunger Games, just because the Hunger Games became really popular, and others were published after it (point of note: while THG was the first to become wildly popular, Scott Westerfield's Uglies series was the book that started the trend).

*The Japanese Pokemon Blue was an enhanced version of the original Red and Green versions (similar to what would be done with Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum, but with less story changes). The US Red and Blue versions use the enhanced Blue version as their base, but with the version-exclusive Pokemon breakdown from Red and Green.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Another thing that helped differentiate the kids were their eyes. Obviously today characters having different colored eyes(or even different shapes) is nothing and expected, but when you consider how simple and clean the designs for the characters were, their eyes stuck out. Sora's reddish orange, Koushiro's empty blacks, Yamato's blues... The "sameface" effect on the new designs more or less does away with that.

Of course, the key visual gives you half a close-up on one character, so...
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Some of us like Animated you know.

And some of us don't.

Emerje wrote:

And the Armada designs were way worse, especially the toys.

I'll give it this: Some of the toys were decent. Then again, most toys from every line was sh*t, so that's a rather a moot point. Besides, the best toys I saw came from RiD (2001) but the anime itself was...well, it certainly wasn't anything to brag about but at least it wasn't Victory and Japanese Beast Wars.

On the topic of Transformers Animated, when it was first announced, I said to myself that if they're able to make decent looking toys out of this, I'd be totally sold.
Long story short, don't diss Transformers Animated.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
It looks too moe for me. But I'll still give the show a chance.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I can't find release dates for the v-pet in the US, but I remember them coming out after the anime (because we got the ones that looked like the digivices), which made it appear that the v-pets were based on the anime, not the other way around, furthering how "similar" they were.

We actually did see the original digital pets in the West, well before the anime aired (and, in fact, before Pokemon became a thing). They were briefly popular at my school, and were square-shaped devices that you could connect and battle. I even remember feeling all nostalgic for it when the anime aired here (2 years is a long time in grade school years, and the digital pet didn't last long as a fad).
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

On the topic of Transformers Animated, when it was first announced, I said to myself that if they're able to make decent looking toys out of this, I'd be totally sold.
Long story short, don't diss Transformers Animated.

Who cares about the toys? Of course there will be good toys and bad. The show itself is bloody horrendous, more obviously in the looks department. Even the good looking toys were made hideous with the Teen Titan art style. Even if the story is as good as its fanboys claim it to be, the look of the show completely negates whatever positives (if any) there are.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
As long as we get a revamped finale where Taiora happens when after Adventure II, I'm rather indifferent on how this series ends.

That's a good point. I'd love that.

I hadn't thought of that but many people have pointed out that this art style is closer to the movies. That makes me like it a lot more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6