• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paprika May Contend for Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
bahamut:
Quote:
If The Lion King and Snow White could be nominees for best movie, other animated movies could too.

Well, the reason there's a separate category is that certain guilds got pissy about having to compete with Beauty and the Beast-the only actual animated production nominated for a Best Picture Award-because they don't like audiences to think there's no inherent difference between a cartoon and the average Hollywood production. Rolling Eyes
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Well, the reason there's a separate category is that certain guilds got pissy about having to compete with Beauty and the Beast-the only actual animated production nominated for a Best Picture Award-because they don't like audiences to think there's no inherent difference between a cartoon and the average Hollywood production.
Ha ha.

One could consider them merciful if we look at the catalogues of stuff competing for the Awards these days. Only one or two really good pieces per year, and this one feels like the worst yet.

Paprika stands no bloody chance, and not because of its lack of merits either. I can't just accept any crap to win over it this upcoming year, I guess. Cars was disappointing, and it was probably some of "the best" if not actually even good.
HazelAsher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote
Man, I want to see this film so bad. I've heard so many great things about it in reviews for certain screenings, and the trailers are awesome...

If it gets nominated, I hope it wins. Kon deserves some merit. Smile
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:37 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
If The Lion King and Snow White could be nominees for best movie, other animated movies could too.

Neither one of those movies got nominated for Best Picture. Only Beauty and the Beast did. Snow White got an Honorary Award for innovation and it got nominated for Best Score only, while The Lion King got awards for Best Score and Best Song ("Can You Feel the Love Tonight?"), and was also nominated twice more for Best Song (for "Hakuna Matata" and "Circle of Life").
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:

Neither one of those movies got nominated for Best Picture. Only Beauty and the Beast did. Snow White got an Honorary Award for innovation and it got nominated for Best Score only, while The Lion King got awards for Best Score and Best Song ("Can You Feel the Love Tonight?"), and was also nominated twice more for Best Song (for "Hakuna Matata" and "Circle of Life").

Guess I remembered it wrong. But my point still stands. A good movie is a good movie, regardless of being live action or animated. They should be judged in the same category and on the same standards.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
HazelAsher wrote:
Man, I want to see this film so bad. I've heard so many great things about it in reviews for certain screenings, and the trailers are awesome...

I caught it at the NYC screening and it was AWESOME. It might be my new favorite thing by Kon (and I've seen all his stuff).

Paprika is spectacular, and is a movie about the love of cinema. It doesn't just deserve to win because it's competing against two CG penguin films - it deserves to win on its own merit.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:29 am Reply with quote
Variety
throws in its two cents on the contenders.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:41 am Reply with quote
I really don't see how Cars was dissapointing. I adored it and even saw it three times in the theater.

The Incredibles was a masterpiece, and I can see where it may not stack up to that. I think the fact that everyone compared it to The Incredibles gave people kind of a cynical viewpoint, which sucks because no other studio outside of Pixar has been able to produce a CG film that's even close to it (Cars) in quality. They all just pale in comparison, including Dreamworks parade of lame films based purely around fart jokes. Cars is still absolutely excellent and matches up to the level of previous great films such as Monsters Inc and Toy Story just fine. I also think that they're suffering backlash, because heaven forbid that every single movie they produce has been brillaint. Eventually people in the industry start to get uneasy.

On a commercial level- It was the second highest grossing film of the year behind only PoTC2, yet people are still saying it 'didn't live up to the Pixar box office standards' which is absolute b.s.

But I am so excited to see Paprika. I do hope it at least gets nominated, as I'm sure it will deserve it. I was quite peeved with the Wallace and Grommit movie winning last year over Miyazaki. Their cartoon shorts are great, but expanded to a full length movie it just did not work at all and I couldn't help but feel it was a bit of a pity award.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
I very much liked Cars too and, if I don't like Happy Feet more than Cars, will be rooting for it to win the BAF among the non-pipedream nominees.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Guess I remembered it wrong. But my point still stands. A good movie is a good movie, regardless of being live action or animated. They should be judged in the same category and on the same standards.

The were judged in the same category and on the same standards for something like 73 years, since "Best Animated Feature" wasn't introduced until 2001.

Since no animated films won "Best Picture" or any other awards besides honorary or musical awards, I guess we can safely conclude that besides Snow White, all animated features are inferior to live-action films.

Or we could assume that the Academy is biased, since most of them work in live-action filmmaking anyway.

Sorry, what was your point?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
The category was actually voted for in 2000, but didn't become applicable until 2001.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:

The were judged in the same category and on the same standards for something like 73 years, since "Best Animated Feature" wasn't introduced until 2001.

Since no animated films won "Best Picture" or any other awards besides honorary or musical awards, I guess we can safely conclude that besides Snow White, all animated features are inferior to live-action films.

Or we could assume that the Academy is biased, since most of them work in live-action filmmaking anyway.

Sorry, what was your point?

My point is it's a piece of crap pity category(a look at the nominess will tell you that). They're awarding mediocrity. Like I said, a good story is a good story. If Beauty and the Beast made it, it doesn't mean ALL animated movies are inferior (granted, I think there are better animated movies than Beauty and the Beast).
Unless they're judging on technical qualities, than a separate category is understandable, but if they're going on the overall quality of the film then they shouldn't be separate.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Variety on Paprika
Quote:
Why it wouldn't: Unless it's Miyazaki, most anime doesn't seem to cut it with the Academy.

Harsh, but probably true. Still, let's cross our fingers and hope it gets nominated over talking animals especially...

Quote:
The bulls with udders
Confused
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
Having seen Paprika, I don't think it's going to win anything. Make no mistake, I think this is his smartest work so far and as a fan, also the most enjoyable out of all his works. But it's probably too smart, too inward-nodding to have the kind of appeal that's necessary to win anything at the Academy.

I'll be pretty darn happy (and surprised) if it gets a nomination.

What's wrong with A Scanner Darkly, by the way? I'll be pretty stoked if that won something.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:30 am Reply with quote
I'd be ok if A Scanner Darkly won, but it might be an even longer shot than Paprika, due to its use of realistic, rather than fantasy settings. Anyway, whether or not it wins, I'd be happy enough if Paprika was nominated. Still, it might have a chance at winning, if the Academy can't tell the talking animal flicks apart any more than the rest of us. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6