• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Designated x Diver

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
You guys, I can't believe we were talking about Saikano, and it got rescued.

I will simply have to face my fears of rewatching it and just embrace it. Exciting!

@Agent355 That's weird...! I'll try and ask around to see if anyone else is having the same problem.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think there is a universal-ness about Cowboy Bebop. Whether you first watched it at the age of 10, 20, or 30, I am certain that there is value in re-watching.

Hmm... This is a very interesting point as I've been thinking about this ever since the show was released.

I watched the show for the first time back in high school and I didn't like it. I could see the things that make the show appealing to other people, but none of it was my cup of tea. Reflecting on it, I think part of that was because I had such high expectations for it considering all the praise it gets. I've since learned to mostly curb that.

For the longest time, I thought "Once was enough for me." However, I'd like to give it another chance at some point.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
trypticon wrote:
Yes, I do agree that in my experience, certain sections of the anime community can be, shall we say, less than hospitable if a person doesn't share their views or hasn't seen “certain shows.”

The thing I find funny about the whole geek and fan culture aside from some of the obvious overlap is how it’s almost like gang communities. Each group as their own neighborhoods on the internet, some places allow for a little differential, but some places and people are really into sh!t talking other groups of people and the material they choose to enjoy. That’s where the ignorant generalizations start occurring and the “not all of us are like that” sentiments come out and people start focusing on the worst of the worst; of course, there are always the troublemakers who instigate that kind of stuff. It can get pretty discouraging sometimes since most people just want to share their enthusiasm and talk with others who have those common interests.

Every fandom has people like that. The idea of a fandom is for like-minded people to come together, after all. They will attract some outspoken individuals who are less tolerant of other people's opinions than others, and you'll get at least a few monomaniacs who have some absurdly low opinions on anything that isn't what they're a fan of, even if it's near-universally liked everywhere else.

That being said, the easy targets, like the Sonic fans and the Bronies, are more prone to this kind of behavior because trolls will sometimes come in, ignite something, and fan the flames, thus accentuating people to become more extreme.

I have been noticing an increasing amount of extremism online though. I can't really explain why, but everywhere I go, when I dive into a place where fans of something meet, there will always be some corner there where a few people have to constantly defend their opinions against two or three people who are hostilely opposed to seemingly everything with neither side backing down.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
bones2039 wrote:
Honestly I really enjoyed both seasons of high school dxd, but I so wish bamboo didn't label It just a boob show like she did. While personally I think it's shelf worthy as it's one of the best ecchi shows I've watched, I would have no problem with it being rental or even perishable since Its a fanservice show. Labeling it a "boob show" feels like the easy way out.

no kidding. though i am glad its not in the perishable section.

and considering how good season 1 was, and its following the Light Novels to the tea, i would have predicted it would have gotten solid grades when its reviewed, but get labeled in the perishable or rental shelf in the shelf life category since by nature it is a ecchi series,labeled with fanservice and its an uber harem to boot.

though there definitely was no surprise that cowboy bebop got the shelf worthy,even though the crappy ending ruined it for me. though fatal fury was a definite surprise. i would have been sure it would have gotten a rental cause of the age, and its no street fighter movie at all. that i know would have gotten the shelf worthy easily cause that movie too was part of the movie bonanza that made anime in the 90's great. even though it gave it a bad rep with parents and others in the process.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4