• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Due Recognition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
Since I already won the Halloween contest, I couldn't enter this one. But when it comes to gaming memories of Christmas, there's the extremes of getting an Atari VCS in 1981 with my brother and sister... and many years later when my brother gave me Enter the Matrix... yeah.

Anyway, the fine people at Retsupurae have been doing a few "Kickstarter Nonstarters" videos over the last few months along with the "IndieNoGo" series. If you're looking for projects that aimed high and fell so very, very short... they got you covered.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Quote:
This year brought about a lot of bickering over small and strange things. The greatest was Gamergate, a movement seemingly fomented over complaints of “social justice warriors” controlling game journalism and colluding with developers. Gamergate was absurd and poorly substantiated when broken down to its base elements, but it was also serious: people were harassed, other people lost jobs, and companies pulled ads from websites (and, when it came to Intel, put them back). And it's still going on in some capacity.

Fair And BalancedTM

I find it entertaining he ignored all the evidence, and it's ongoing achievements. The FTC regulations? You now see disclosure on affiliate links flying up left and right. The piles of money donated to charity. It is not absurd and has been a game changer for a significant chunk of the internet. Sweeping it under the rug by claiming it was stupid and 'over' is the kind of dismissal that made it gain traction in the first place.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:39 am Reply with quote
It's not over by a long shot, and the more publications say it's over the longer it continues. Also, no proof Intel reinstated ads (adsense is third party and doesn't count), their "I'm a Gamer" ads proves gamers are certainly not "dead".

Last edited by ninjaclown on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
ninjaclown wrote:
It's not over by a long shot, and the more publications say it's over the longer it continues. Also, no proof Intel reinstated ads unless third party contractors did that, their We Are Gamers ads proves gamers are certainly not "dead".

Intel reinstated via a 3rd party, (Google's AdChoices) which is much less money than doing so directly. Two steps forward, one step back in still one step forward.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:31 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
I find it entertaining he ignored all the evidence, and it's ongoing achievements. The FTC regulations? You now see disclosure on affiliate links flying up left and right. The piles of money donated to charity. It is not absurd and has been a game changer for a significant chunk of the internet. Sweeping it under the rug by claiming it was stupid and 'over' is the kind of dismissal that made it gain traction in the first place.

GamerGate never seemed like it cared about the PR battle. I think they knew they were never going to win the PR battle by default when the very people they were going after were the ones in charge of spinning the PR. It would be naive to expect the news outlets or media personalities you go after to give you a fair representation on their own platform. What they have won, however, was their core issues from what I can tell. They cost Gawker millions of dollars in ad revenue, and just last week Nick Denton stepped down as Gawker's president as well and they went through a severe restructuring as a result.

This whole debacle has been a long time coming, I believe. Stuff like conflict of interests and full disclosure are pretty much mandated in traditional media and have been for decades. If you see a TV star or athlete come out and start promoting a product, they're required to inform you it's a paid promotion. That's not true on the internet. Websites, and especially YouTube is filled with that kind of stuff, and the bad thing is there's no mandate that they have to tell you it. While a lot of people can usually tell when something is obviously sponsored, that kind of dishonesty does hurt the more naive folk. Especially YouTubers who's main audiences are made up younger kids like PewDiePie and the Game Grumps to name some of the more popular ones. For me personally, I like to see just how much promotion websites and YouTube do. If half of a source's content is paid for, it's not a source I really want to be consuming in my information needs. New media, especially the internet, has always been ahead of the lawmakers that old media had to answer to and have laws set in place already, and I just see this as a step forward towards the gap being bridged.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:02 am Reply with quote
GG probably will never win the PR war and will be remembered by some as a group who wants to harass people (even though they won't question why it's always the same select people crying harassment over the internet, or that these people have dubious pasts at best) since most games journalists collude with each other and mainstream media only cares about clickbait ratings. Thankfully it doesn't need something like PR to win, they've caught the attention of Intel (who did NOT put their ads back on certain websites) and the FBI and FTC are doing their own investigations independent of public opinion. Plus people like the lead singer of Disturbed support it, they've lived through moral policing when metal was considered satanic and harmful to children.

The coming months will be interesting once the ad contracts are allowed to expire.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
[quote="Stuart Smith"] GamerGate actually accomplished things

Yep, a lot of women were received rape and death threats, and in some cases forced from their homes or jobs. Gamergate must be so proud of itself.

Oh, and Kotaku lost a few advertisers for like two weeks before they all came back. Accomplishments!
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Yep, a lot of women were received rape and death threats, and in some cases forced from their homes or jobs. Gamergate must be so proud of itself.

Oh, and Kotaku lost a few advertisers for like two weeks before they all came back. Accomplishments!

Except that GG did not send those death threats and nobody was forced out of their home(Wu was caugth be bullshitting about leaving her home). Kotaku already said the lost millions because Of Sam Biddle's tweet, so eh.. ye..

But you know, you're free to believe whatever you want.
EvilTaxi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
Yeah... you all keep on believing that your whining on the internet about "ethics" matters.

GG is about as effective as those protesters on the streets (not at all). Sure, there will be some coverage and obligatory outrage, but at the end of the day everything will all go back to the way it was. Mainstream gaming journalism will continue to be influenced by the industry money, cops will continue to get the benefit of the doubt, and life will go on.

The only way to change the powers that be is to be one of those powers yourself.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
OK so pro-gamergate and anti-gamergate have both said something, both "sides" have been represented in this thread, so now Gamergate discussion is over. Doesn't need to turn into a circular screaming match. The end.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Can we all agree the Lucky Chole thing was silly?

What's silly was people taking Harada seriously. He's similar to Kamiya in terms of trolling idiots on Twitter. Or really any Japanese developer. Japanese developers tend to be very blunt and don't take rudeness very lightly.

But if you can get past how he deals with those people, he has some interesting insight on the industry. I especially like Harada's opinion on why Arcades died in America but are still a thriving community in Japan and it's a view I always held myself.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

Or really any Japanese developer. Japanese developers tend to be very blunt and don't take rudeness very lightly.

But if you can get past how he deals with those people, he has some interesting insight on the industry.

Oh yeah, take Keiji Inafune and Hideo Kojima
Paradox295

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This year brought about a lot of bickering over small and strange things. The greatest was Gamergate, a movement seemingly fomented over complaints of “social justice warriors” controlling game journalism and colluding with developers. Gamergate was absurd and poorly substantiated when broken down to its base elements, but it was also serious: people were harassed, other people lost jobs, and companies pulled ads from websites (and, when it came to Intel, put them back). And it's still going on in some capacity. After enduring that, it was a comfort when, in the last weeks of the year, a controversy arose about nothing more serious than a catgirl cosplayer in a Tekken game.

The short of it: Tekken 7 introduced a new character named Lucky Chloe, and some fans didn't like her catpaw sleeves and headphones and minidress. So series producer Katsuhiro Harada told them he might remove Chloe from the American versions, since fans there prefer beefy boring grizzled guys with MMA gloves and imposing stubble. Speculation ensued over whether Harada is joking (he probably is) and just how Lucky Chloe fits into a fighting game that has such dignified sights as samurai cyborgs, lion-headed wrestlers who never remove their masks, and an ending where a schoolgirl travels back in time to stop an angry old man from throwing his son off a cliff.

The best thing to come out of this so far is Diepod's vision of Chloe sneaking into American players' good graces (above), which Harada seems to like. After such a fuss, I hope that Lucky Chloe arrives in Tekken games everywhere and inspires arguments and vaguely horrifying artwork for years to come.

H-Hey, Todd. Clarify something for me, here.

What stance did the GamerGate people have on this one? Because, uh. I seem to recall them being pro-Lucky Chloe.

This makes it seem like GamerGate were the crowd wanting the character removed from Tekken, when in reality, it was NeoGAF (a board which bans you for saying anything sympathetic towards GamerGate) who did. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=947059

In fact, a quick glance at /r/KotakuInAction, notorious hub for GamerGate discussion, shows you that crowd were in fact against removing the character, who as you just said are in favour of keeping, too. http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2own4l/neogaf_has_no_right_to_dictate_to_devs_anything/

Unless, you were not confused and you just wrote an article containing a paragraph saying how "absurd and poorly substantiated " GamerGate was...

...followed by two more paragraphs explaining your agreement with them.

But nobody would do such a silly thing like that, would they? Wink
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Bringing up Lucky Chloe again I see. For those of you that didn't see this post via Twitter on another thread (I don't know if this indicate that Lucky Chloe may be in the US version after all):

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Oh yeah, take Keiji Inafune and Hideo Kojima

Kojima's in a league of his own. He can pretty much do whatever he wants and no one's going to question him. Inafune's views seem really outdated though, probably as a result of him being irrelevant for the last 10 years and having to use Kickstarter to do anything recently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4