• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Due Recognition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
I do think SaGa Frontier had a lot of potential, but the game just wasn't finished to any degree of satisfaction. Asellus' story is a pretty good example. It puts forth some interesting ideas, but it didn't get enough space to develop them. I would've preferred Square remaking it instead of the Game Boy SaGas.

SaGa Frontier 2 had a great start with Gustave's storyline and that gorgeous watercolor style, but the Knights family arc wasn't quite as interesting. I remember replaying a sub-quest just so Cordelia wouldn't die, and I was disappointed when it didn't affect the game much beyond sticking her in the background of a later scene. It was more linear than SaGa Frontier, but the story didn't take advantage of that.

I am aware. Frontier had a lot of stuff cut out of the final product and it's evident when you get the developers room ending after beating all seven characters' stories. And of course, the awesome folks at Cutting Room Floor documented what was left out of the retail release. Quite startling how much didn't make it in, especially from Asellus's story. They needed more time. I imagine the game would have been really memorable with all the options they left out.

Regarding Frontier 2, I'm of the opposite opinion. The Knights tale was the real meat of the main story while Gustave's just kind of faded out since it ended more abruptly (though neither side was short on tragic losses and melancholic overtones). I'm also not sure what you mean by the game not taking advantage of being linear. It did a pretty good job of it, considering how well paced the jump from segment to segment was. You never have to spend a lot of time in any one portion of either story, and the sidequests and extra areas let you build up your team without penalties, since monsters do not get stronger with you (another big difference from the other SaGas). I think the major problem was the fact you couldn't get too attached to any one team of characters since almost all of them retire from fighting eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4