• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 5 Anime of 2014 (And Ours)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobob101

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I am so glad to see Space Dandy and Ping Pong getting the love they deserve. Leaving aside Kill La Kill, those two are the kinds of shows you just don't forget, they are super amazing in totally different ways. I am so glad to see the love a few reviewers have for Shirobako and Parasyte. Personally, I wouldn't want to include a show on my list that hasn't ended yet, but those weren't my columns. Over all, I think my list would look like this

5. Sidonia/Hoozuki (yeah, I'm cheating)

4. Tokyo Ghoul

3. JoJo

2. Ping Pong

1. Space Dandy
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
glad to see 'The World is Still Beautiful' get (a very small amount of) appreciation, and pleasantly surprised to see Noragami so high in the popular poll; may not have been stellar, but i enjoyed it.

It was kinda surprising to see Tokyo Ghoul in only 2 of the critic's top 5, though. I guess some people just couldn't handle the gore?

My personal list:
5. Knights of Sidonia
4. The World is Still Beautiful
3. Rage of Bahamut
2. Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
1. Tokyo Ghoul

Sounds like i need to watch Coffin Princess; i keep hearing good things, just haven't gotten around to watching it yet
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
5)Psycho Pass 2(8/10). I enjoyed it way more then season 1. Hang me if you want but i posted in it´s review thread to explain why. Kogami is the best anti-villian of the year and it has the best ending song. Why did you become suddenly so interesting dear anime(besides Tow Ubukata) and why couldn´t you have been a barely connected prequel to stand alone ?
4)Rage of Bahamut: Genesis(8,5/10 and growing). Best opening song and best female lead of the year. Where did you come form dear anime ? You were supposed to be a trashy card game ad.
3)Space Dandy(9/10). Bebop the comedy. That is all.
2)Parasyte (9,5/10) Why can´t you be as perfect as the manga ? Soundtrack, male lead and voice acting of the year. Episode 24(my favourite manga ending ever) can´t come soon enough.
1)Mushi-shi Season 2 (10/10). Best directing of the year and the best anime since Baccano. True art.
2014 was the best tv one in years and i can make a representable Top 10 for once since at least 5 years. Well done japan ! The creative side of the industry is now cooking with gas again. Hooray.
2015 has Durarara 2 and the LoGH reimagining(best anime ever). Onwards and upwards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Hahahaha thank god this is only a top 5 favorites and not least favorite because I would be killed for including in that one Space Dandy ^^u Well, of the few shows I saw nothing that I thought it was great, but some that were very fun still.

1-Rage of Bahamut: Simple, fun and charismatic in essence, nothing less, nothing more, and I'm cool with that. I don't love it, but it's very enjoyable.
2-Silver Spoon S2: Would rank it higher if it wasn't for some adaptation discrepances that pulled me back a little bit, but with that aside love the second half of this season.
3-My Neighbor Seki: My kind of cute gag show. Imaginative, charming, and that's it, and I'm happy with it.
4-Parasyte: Didn't expect it to like it but it was better managed than I though, good stuff.
5-Jojo Part 3: I like more the other non-stopping dynamic season than this one, but it was still very entertaining.

Last edited by justsomeaccount on Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
My Top 5 Anime For this year would definatly be these:

1: Log Horizon (Best Story Telling and World Building of the year)
2: No Game No Life (Best Outrages series of the year)
3: Chaika The Coffin Princess (Best Sleeper hit of the year)
4: Monthly Girl's Nozaki Kun (Best Comedy in a long Time)
5: Black Butler: Book Of Circus (Best Sequel/Remake of the year)

I'd swap Shirobako for Black Butler and change the order up a bit (altho Log Horizon definitely #1), but otherwise, great list.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:
My Top 5 Anime For this year would definatly be these:

1: Log Horizon (Best Story Telling and World Building of the year)
2: No Game No Life (Best Outrages series of the year)
3: Chaika The Coffin Princess (Best Sleeper hit of the year)
4: Monthly Girl's Nozaki Kun (Best Comedy in a long Time)
5: Black Butler: Book Of Circus (Best Sequel/Remake of the year)

I'd swap Shirobako for Black Butler and change the order up a bit (altho Log Horizon definitely #1), but otherwise, great list.

Shiraboko i haven't watched it but as for the order how would u do it hmm? Smile
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

It was kinda surprising to see Tokyo Ghoul in only 2 of the critic's top 5, though. I guess some people just couldn't handle the gore?

I just had a busy year, so I didn't have time to watch everything I wanted to. Since I was fairly certain that would get a physical release, I decided to wait for it.

And I swear I'm not a robot and that I sleep! My idea of "downtime" is just a little different than everyone else's... Laughing
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Tokyo Ghoul yet either, though the way Hope has talked it up I'm gonna try to marathon it before the new season starts in January.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Pretty decent lists honestly or should I say I actually recognized, watched and or enjoyed many of the titles listed for many of the same reasons which realistically I don't expect to happen much anymore. Specifically the love for Space Dandy which especially with it's second season has been a tour de force of creativity, amusement and just some stunning imaginative visuals of the like I'm not convinced we're going to see again for quite a while.

I could say the same for Ping Pong too, but to me it was in the long run much more down to Earth and short compared to Space Dandy which was literally changing up it's own dynamic and structure every week. I'm also absolutely stunned that it was funded by Aniplex of all entities considering how for the money they normally are and how it just doesn't seem like something that could conceivably been intended to make money. If they'd focus more of their energies and resources on that sort of thing as opposed to just continually chasing that otaku yen by hyping the latest Urobuchi story concept thing kit bashed with other popular otaku people or the latest iteration of the Monogatari series or whatever other popular light novel trash is out there then maybe I wouldn't loathe their presence quite so much.

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Now, I don't want to say that your opinion is wrong if Space Dandy isn't in your top 5, but your opinion is wrong, and you should feel bad.

Okay, not really, but Space Dandy kicks ass.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Maybe stick to Tokyo Ghoul(8,5/10) the manga. It is the superior version by far.
Just a friendly advice or at least try it when you finish. Pierrot threw out nearly half the story and a lot of characterization. So only the nice opening song will resonate with me. So no Root of A for me unless the now original story is up to snuff.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
My favorites this year were Space Dandy and Rage of Bahamut, but it's true I didn't really watch too many other things because not a lot of shows interested me. I'm still waiting on Reconguista in G, which is a fine show, but it's not blowing me away like I'd prefer.

Favaro from Bahamut is my favorite new anime character in a long while. Guy's like fantasy-Lupin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I just had a busy year, so I didn't have time to watch everything I wanted to. Since I was fairly certain that would get a physical release, I decided to wait for it.

And I swear I'm not a robot and that I sleep! My idea of "downtime" is just a little different than everyone else's... Laughing

I understand completely; i haven't had the time to watch half of what i want to either. I still need to catch up on Log Horizon and Jojo's, and haven't watched Barakuman, Chaika, Garo, Terror in Resonance, Your Lie in April, Mushi-shi, or even Space Dandy (pls don't hate me).

It feels like i'm in this weird spot where i don't watch nearly enough anime to converse with ANN folks, but NO ONE i know in real life has heard of ANY of the shows i am watching :/
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll list my top 5, too Smile

In no particular order:
Terror in Resonance
Space Dandy
Parasyte -the Maxim-
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
Rage of Bahamut: Genesis

I would've ranked them, but I haven't finished Space Dandy nor Nozaki-kun, so... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

penguintruth wrote:

Favaro from Bahamut is my favorite new anime character in a long while. Guy's like fantasy-Lupin

Oh, Favaro's awesome! One of my new favorite characters. Very Happy
Pipoko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I think overall the first 3 seasons of the year didn't have that much to offer, but there's a lot of good stuff right now, I find it hard to actually rank. So in no particular order:

Noragami
Tokyo Ghoul
Rage of Bahamut
Fate Stay Night
Parasyte

All are series I would consider excellent, there's other good stuff, but these popped out to me among the stuff I've watched this year, there are also some I haven't watched, which I hear are really good. Also, three of them are still incomplete. This season's been great.

Last edited by Pipoko on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9