• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 5 Anime of 2014 (And Ours)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daerian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
My personal top 5:

5) Mushishi 2 - it's Mushishi Wink
4) Monthly Girl Nozaki-kun - it was greatest surprise of this year for me, perfect comedy and intelligent parody in one
3) JoJo - comedy, action, fun
2) Parasyte - very good adaptation of very good manga
1) Fate UBW - story, characters, visuals
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Shiraboko i haven't watched it but as for the order how would u do it hmm? Smile

1: Log Horizon
2: Monthly Girl's Nozaki Kun
3: No Game No Life
5: Shirobako
5: Chaika The Coffin Princess

I love Log Horizon, definitely. Nozaki-kun was just too well done, altho NGNL is VERY close, in the end I think Nozaki's "lows" were well above NGNL's, and their "highs" were about even. Also, I liked Chaika, but it was really uneven, again the highs were excellent, but the lows were pretty bad. (altho, unlike some others, I LOVED the whole thing with the sister, since it was obvious nothing was going to come of it it just made for some hilarious (IMO) interjections from her at key moments.

But as a long-time animation fan, Shirobako is undoubtably better than Chaika. I don't work in the anime industry so I can't say "definitively" that it is accurate, but I have been to several anime studios and I CAN say that the "look" is 100% accurate. Even if it drags at times, it is worth it to ANY anime fan purely for whatever percentage of reality (which I'm sure is >50%) is distilled in there.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
My top 5 this year:
1. Kiseijuu (Parasyte)
2. Log Horizon
3. Aldnoah.Zero (I like mecha and it's the best one this year imo)
4. Tokyo Ghoul
5. Sidonia no Kishi (Art kinda threw me off on that one)

I like Log Horizon way more than SAO since as a seasoned MMO player I can see they actually did some homework on MMO mechanics. I have only played two Japanese MMOs (PSO2 and FFXIV) but it seems most anime try to emulate a roleless/semi-roleless system kind of like PSO2 which is much less common than the "Holy Trinity" system that majority of MMOs use. I also love the raid scenes as a raider myself. The tactics and mechanics in the show are much simpler than in real MMO raids but that is understandable since they have to tell a story and all while they're at it. spoiler[In the second encounter in the raid in Log Horizon 2 I remember thinking "Off tank the adds when he goes into his white form" and trying to figure out strategies for the encounter while watching]

Honorable Mention: Cross Ange: I kind of get why some people absolutely hate it but it's pretty interesting even without all the fan service stuff. spoiler[Especially now that they introduced people from the other side of the Singulars.]
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
The others I haven't seen or agree with/understand, but I don't get all this praise for Tokyo Ghoul. All I saw in that show was a dumb gorefest with comical villains and a terrible ending.

Well, might as well list my own top 5 (in no order):
-Sabagebu
-Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
-No Game No Life
-Inari, KonKon, Koi Iroha
-Haikyuu!!

If there's anything [else] I'm surprised about, it's the lack of Haikyu in most people's lists. I dunno, I guess I thought that was more popular.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
The others I haven't seen or agree with/understand, but I don't get all this praise for Tokyo Ghoul. All I saw in that show was a dumb gorefest with comical villains and a terrible ending.

I think you're confusing Tokyo Ghoul with Gantz
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I thought Space Dandy was good, no qualifiers needed, but I just wasn't convinced it was great. Always love shows that push the boundaries and try new things, though.

I would have to have Mushishi in the top spot. It's just fascinating and fantastic.

Next would be the brilliant Ping Pong, followed by rock-solid adaptations Kiseijuu and UBW, and then the second season of Love Live!. Barakamon was hilarious and adorable, so if I knocked out Mushishi and Love Live! for being a sequels, I'd slot it and Shirobako in. I also love that Barakamon has real kids acting; it brings such an energy and sense of fun to the show. Shirobako has moments – few and far between, to be true, though absent from most anime entirely – that are just triumphant and remind me of what I love about anime (Love Live!'s Snow Halation scene was one, and I'm not sure I've liked any concert scenes that weren't in AKB0048 and paired with ludicrous robot battles).
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:

Or maybe they're just...both the same! (note: I haven't actually seen Gantz)
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Merxamers wrote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:

Or maybe they're just...both the same! (note: I haven't actually seen Gantz)

if you REALLY want to see an insipid, mean-spirited, stupid, exploitative, maliciously sexist, racist, dull, unimaginative, and shallow story, then give Gantz a try.

I can't imagine someone watching Tokyo Ghoul and coming away with the conclusion of it being a 'dumb gorefest'. I fully understand that everyone has their own opinion, but i disagree with you in every possible way concerning that series.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:
Shiraboko i haven't watched it but as for the order how would u do it hmm? Smile

1: Log Horizon
2: Monthly Girl's Nozaki Kun
3: No Game No Life
5: Shirobako
5: Chaika The Coffin Princess

I love Log Horizon, definitely. Nozaki-kun was just too well done, altho NGNL is VERY close, in the end I think Nozaki's "lows" were well above NGNL's, and their "highs" were about even. Also, I liked Chaika, but it was really uneven, again the highs were excellent, but the lows were pretty bad. (altho, unlike some others, I LOVED the whole thing with the sister, since it was obvious nothing was going to come of it it just made for some hilarious (IMO) interjections from her at key moments.

But as a long-time animation fan, Shirobako is undoubtably better than Chaika. I don't work in the anime industry so I can't say "definitively" that it is accurate, but I have been to several anime studios and I CAN say that the "look" is 100% accurate. Even if it drags at times, it is worth it to ANY anime fan purely for whatever percentage of reality (which I'm sure is >50%) is distilled in there.

Everyone has their favorites of the year and realistically not everyone is going to be the same as everyone has different tastes but it is nice to see there are people out there who have similarities with one another so yeah very good choices Smile
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I can't imagine someone watching Tokyo Ghoul and coming away with the conclusion of it being a 'dumb gorefest'. I fully understand that everyone has their own opinion, but i disagree with you in every possible way concerning that series.

Good to know that you care enough to come out and say it.

The villains were dumb. The ending was non-existent. The protagonist was a stereotypical weakling and a coward (somewhat understandably in this case, but it's still annoying). The show flourished on having excessive violence and gore. I don't mind blood in my anime, but I don't want it to be all that's supposed to keep me in.

Mind you, it wasn't terrible, and there were certainly worse shows this year, but it's nowhere near my top 5, 10, 15, or even 20 of the year.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
My top 5 in no order:

Terror in Resonance
Mushishi season 2
Parasyte
Fate/ Stay Night
Space Dandy (specially the "second season")

Honorable mention: 'Barakamon'

I will hopefully be getting most of these in Blu-Ray, except for Fate/ Stay Night and Mushishi, because they will probably cost $400+. Damn $Aniplex$ Confused
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I voted for five, although, to be honest, the only anime I remember for sure that I voted for were Space Dandy and Kokkuri-san and everything else I voted for were pretty much "oh, that was okay too, I guess" status.

I think I voted for Wizard Barristers, not so much for story or characters but rather because it's the only anime of which I am aware that has ever featured a Real Canadian Superstore (renamed "The Great Assortment Storesuper" for legal reasons, but any Canadian who lives near a Superstore can easily tell what it's supposed to be). I even did a Google Street View search of various Vancouver-area Real Canadian Superstores and determined that the specific Real Canadian Superstore the animators used as a reference was probably the Westwood Superstore in Coquitlam, which my youngest brother has shopped at quite a few times in real life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Space Dandy was in so many people's top 5s and that Haikyuu!! was in no ones (as that's one of my top 5)
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, the voted-in top 5 are exactly as expected; other than Tokyo Ghoul. Apparently that's the "hooray for blood 'n guts!" show for this year. I think one of my votes went to Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun, for being one of those rare anime comedies that's actually funny, instead of awkardly forced ridiculousness. Number 11. Had to dig pretty deep to find the others. I must be becoming a hipster...

No Game No Life was profoundly offensive... Parasyte precisely triggers my squeamishness, so I can't bring myself to watch it. Other than that I just found most of the big-ticket shows sort of dull.

Space Dandy is basically Zapp Branigan: The Early Years, which sounds fun until you realize how annoying and one-note Zapp would be as a main character... the first episode felt sort of like watching a fireworks show while the kid next to you shouts random comments about the wondrousness of boobs. Very confusing. Fate/Stay Night is about as well-done as it can be and has the highest of production values, but is inevitably dragged down a bit by the dumbness of its source material. Felt sort of like Wolf Children: beautiful on the surface, but deep down rather ordinary, and possibly sexist.

Yuki Yuna has been a very interesting surprise (says the predictable Madoka fanatic), as was Zvezda Plot, this year's edition of "not at all like the stupid garbage you expected from the promos." Chaika was a fun fantasy-oid thing, and One Week Friends was the most emotional romance I've seen in a while, even if they pulled the typical anime thing of not really having a proper conclusion (which doesn't really bother me much anyway).
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I can accept this list for once. Except Space Dandy. ugh
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9