• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome, new Mods (announcement on page 9).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
As some of ya'll may know, I've been occasionally voicing my grievances about Moderator burnout the last few months. And in light of that, I've decided to put forth a formal request to admin for recruiting some new mods to help alleviate my duties (ya' know, so I can actually post/talk about actual anime at some point, instead of locking threads, editing posts, tending to complaints, or approving moderated posts every time I log on).

The purpose of this thread is simple; I thought it would be interesting to have a communal-wide application/nomination process to help build a list of candidates for new Moderators. You can apply, yourself, or nominate any of your peers you think would be good Mod-material. There are, of course, some criteria admin has recommended you meet. And ultimately, the decision of who does/doesn't become a Mod will depend solely on their decision. The criteria to be met are:

- At least 2 years of forum membership.

- Have not had any disciplinary actions taken against them within the last couple of years (i.e. moderation or bans).

- Has a good understanding of Teh Rules.

- Has a pretty stable habit of posting (enough to be considered a "regular" user).

- In addition to "regular" posting, it would be preferred that those posts also be fairly intelligent (i.e. not a bunch of one-liners, soapbox arguments, lop-sided hate speeches, or grammatically ill-constructed rants; in other words, be good at being neutral/level-headed).

- Does not have a history or has shown patterns of hostility/disrespect towards the staff (i.e. personal biases, having extreme differences in opinions about editorial work, how things should be run, how the rules work, etc.)
----------------------------------

For your applications/nominations, it's not required, but would be welcomed that if you wanna' make a stronger case, then maybe adding a sentence or few of explanation as to why you chose yourself/someone would be nice.

Also, if you have any questions about the ins and outs of Moderator duties (how it works, how the responsibilities are divided, how much time of you is required, etc.), feel free to ask. It's actually a lot easier/lax than you might think.

At this point, I've made 1 personal nomination to admin, as well as had 1 volunteer, so far.

For the nomination, I recommended Psycho 101 because we've known each other for a while outside of the forums. And I figure he's been around here long enough to know the people and how things work. Yes, I also realize he has a tendency to get emotional and has had a few scuffles with other users. But I was a bit of the same way, myself, before becoming a Mod and eventually learning to phase out all my biases throughout the years. And I am confident that if given a role of responsibility, Psycho will make the necessary adjustments to accommodate for his new position. And if not, we could always fire him Razz.

The user I had volunteer to me was nbahn. I believe he posts enough, is diligent, and is pretty good at being a neutral third party kind of person that, for the purposes of fulfilling a kind of "side role" (I think he's doing school, right now, too, or is, at least, in the middle of something), he should be fine in helping around with the little things.

Like I said, Moderator duty is not as tough as you'd think. It's just that I've had the unfortunate luck of taking on most those responsibilities by myself the last few years, and I think it's finally getting to me (not to mention, I'd love to have more free time to review stuff). But yeah, if you want further details about the workings of Mod duty, just ask away.

Oh, and finally, we don't have have a set number of people we're trying to recruit, since that will depend on the number of candidates we receive. It could be a few, or it could be a bunch. It really just depends on who's willing to accept the position, how many "good" candidates we feel there are, and all that political jazz. The more Mods we get, though, I can tell you it will be a *lot* easier, in terms of workload.

So thank you all for taking the time to read and participate in this, and good luck with the applications/nominations.

Note: To keep things a little more organized, I'll maintain a list of candidates in this opening post.

Candidates

- Alan45
- Dessa
- errinundra
- Galap
- getchman
- jl07045
- nbhan
- Psycho 101
- Spastic Minnow
- TsunaReborn!
- willag

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:32 pm; edited 9 times in total
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:39 am Reply with quote
I nominate jl07045.

Why jl07045 should be a moderator:
Not only is jl07045 one of the most intelligent posters on this site, he/she is also one of the most enjoyable to debate with because he/she does not resort, to my knowledge, to petty tactics to try to win an argument. Furthermore, another point of excellence is that jl07045 will admit when they are wrong, which is an excellent character trait for a moderator because it is much easier for a user to deal with a moderator when they know that a moderator is reasonable, well-balanced, and willing to admit when they are wrong.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
I have a lot of respect for nbahn, I'm glad he volunteered. He's active, interested in making the forum better and doesn't get into petty arguments with people. He's a genuinely nice guy with a lot of patience and a good work ethic, and I think if he's chosen he won't let the site down. So yeah, for what it's worth I vouch for him.

Tony K. wrote:
For the nomination, I recommended Psycho 101...

Eh, I'm doubtful. Psycho 101 doesn't just get into "scuffles", he actively picks fights with people for fun.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Eh, I'm doubtful. Psycho 101 doesn't just get into "scuffles", he actively picks fights with people for fun.

Heh. Yeah, I know he, you, and Blood-, in particular, have a pretty rocky history with one another. And when I suggested Psycho in the Staff forum, even Zac seemed apprehensive about the idea. But Tempest seems to think, otherwise.

Even Psycho was baffled why I chose him. Although, honestly, I'm not asking for much from any of the candidates. If there ends up being enough of us, I just wanna' be able to act like a somewhat normal user again.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I can accept nbahn as moderator. He seem like a fair-minded guy and he's active on ANN rule. He seem to carried enough rule and knowledge of ANN rules to be able to become a moderator.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I've cast my mind for someone to nominate. Having given it much thought, I would like to nominate errinundra to be a moderator.

He's no spring chicken (I think he once said he was in his mid fifties?), but that arguably works in his favour. He's respected, doesn't often get into pissing matches with people, is usually very levelheaded and evenhanded, posts consistently, and seems to have a decent amount of spare time on his hands (if the lengthy reviews he writes are anything to go by). I think he'd be as safe a pair of hands as you're likely to find.

Now, I don't know if he actually wants to be a mod, but assuming he's not against it I reckon he deserves to be seriously considered.

Tony K. wrote:
Although, honestly, I'm not asking for much from any of the candidates. If there ends up being enough of us, I just wanna' be able to act like a somewhat normal user again.

I feel ya. Plus I enjoy reading your Blu Ray reviews, if you had the time to write more of them that would be swell. (Do people still say swell?)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Now, I don't know if he actually wants to be a mod, but assuming he's not against it I reckon he deserves to be seriously considered.

I'm sending PMs to everyone that gets nominated, so they can either endorse or decline the offers themselves.

dtm42 wrote:
I feel ya. Plus I enjoy reading your Blu Ray reviews, if you had the time to write more of them that would be swell. (Do people still say swell?)

I think only athletes still use the word to refer to their body parts after a rough game Razz. But I appreciate the sentiment.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42
I think you will find that Psycho101 has been fairly calm and a lot more diplomatic lately. Of course I would say the same about you which may have some bearing on the matter. My point being that people do change over time.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Heh. Yeah, I know he, you, and Blood-, in particular, have a pretty rocky history with one another. And when I suggested Psycho in the Staff forum, even Zac seemed apprehensive about the idea. But Tempest seems to think, otherwise.

Even Psycho was baffled why I chose him. Although, honestly, I'm not asking for much from any of the candidates. If there ends up being enough of us, I just wanna' be able to act like a somewhat normal user again.

You really don't know me DTM so please don't pretend you do. I do not pick fights for fun, nor at all for that matter. Your personal bias against me is well known so I'm not going to comment further than that.

As for the nomination I honestly did not expect it nor did I even agree with it at first. I honestly thought Tony had lost his damn mind. I figured when he mentioned the idea to Zac that he too would lose his mind. I know my history. Yes, I can be brash at times. Yes I can be emotional. Yes I have a problem with people who attack or verbally abuse others and bully them. I do not care for pompous full of themselves blowhards. And yes I make those points well known, So why in the world did I accept Tony's proposal to me about being a mod? I honestly almost said no. My immediate response was no, but I sat back and decided to think on it.

At the end of the day I agreed to his nomination and proposal because I felt like if this came to happen I could give back to a place that honestly I have gained much from over the years. As cheesy and sappy and corny as this will sound ANN is not a simple forum to me. It is a community. One in which I have made many real friendships through. I have been here many years. I have been here longer than most active members minus staff of course. I have watched great users and friends come and go. New ones rise up as others move on. There are many users, past and current, I am honest and legitimate friends with. We talk on chat, facebook, and skype. We play online games together. I've met several users here. Staff included. Despite what many may think about Zac I can say in person he is a very friendly and courteous individual. We had a nice 5-10 minute chat one Otakon when I talked to him after the ANN panel. I've met many other staff and many regular users as well. I do secret santa with several of them at another forum and others here as well. My current gf of 5 years is a member here. We met here. We were both going through bad break ups and after talking on the phone and skype for a while made the leap. She moved down to move in with me and 5 years later we're still together. I post more than her by far due to her work schedule.

The point is I have made many good friends that have made my life better via ANN. I have my current gf thanks to ANN. Without her I'd not have changed my careers to get back to working with animals. I'd not have the cats I have now. I can't imagine not having the furballs. So as sappy as it sounds I have gained a lot directly or indirectly due to ANN. I accepted Tony's proposal because it would give me a chance to in a way repay what I have gained. I know how to separate my feelings from my actions. I've never really worried about that here before because I never in my 8 pushing 9 years here imagined I'd be in this position.

I know they're sappy and cheesy reasons but they are the truth. I'm also not used to more publicly discussing my feelings like that. Now whether or not the staff, or users, want me or accept me as a mod is up to them. If so, than great I can give back like I said. If not, than it's just business as usual for me. I will say is if the admins do decide on me as one of the new mods I will try my best to listen to them and their directions whatever they may be. I'm not going to promise to be perfect because I'm not, no one is. I simply will promise to try my best. That's all I got to say on the subject really. Whoever gets selected as the new mods good luck with the role.

edit---Fixed some grammatical errors.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Well Psycho, I do find your backstory very interesting to read. Good luck if you get selected as moderator. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to accept the nomination. Thanks, dtm42. I'm about to leave for work so I'll post a more detailed response/application this evening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, mdo7 and dtm42, for your consideration. (I have no idea just how I missed this thread.) I'm going to work on a draft extolling/promoting myself (but at the same time is not misleading in any way, shape or form); so I should have something in a few hours.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Thank you, mdo7 and dtm42, for your consideration. (I have no idea just how I missed this thread.) I'm going to work on a draft extolling/promoting myself (but at the same time is not misleading in any way, shape or form); so I should have something in a few hours.

Good luck if you become moderator and you're welcome. Smile
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I would, first of all, like to begin by directing the reader to this posting (please note, however, that when I wrote that posting that that I was both living in Maryland and involved in politics – neither of which is true of me today) from this thread.

I think that that posting adequately highlights my reluctance to wield power for fear of becoming corrupted by it. Another fear of mine is being called upon to referee an argument between dtm42 and blood-. Those two just despise each other and yet I find myself admiring different aspects of their online personalities. I guess that that at the end of the day I just want everyone to get along.

What else to say? Well, I am currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in psychology from Wayne State University with the aim of gaining admittance to the graduate program in Wayne's School of Social Work (I was persuaded by a family member to forego any further attempts at any computer certifications) .
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I do have another person in mind that I would like to nominate as moderator, Dessa. She's been on ANN for a long time, I like her thought and input. I don't think she has any problem with ANN nor the forumites. I also recalled she mention that she's a moderator on another website (similar to ANN). She does contribute a lot for ANN like this thread for example and she made a good suggestion on excessive quoting. So I would like Dessa to be on the list of candidate to be a new ANN moderator.

Edit: I like to apologize to Dessa for calling her a he when I found out the user a she. Dessa, I apologize for calling you a man. Embarassed

Last edited by mdo7 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13