• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome, new Mods (announcement on page 9).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7
And if you do not approve of their actions by the end of the review period, what will you do then?
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I'd say they are all banned for poor service and disgracing the site. It's not like anyone will really Psycho or Willag especially, one less loon... Though Willag does give fabulous gifts so maybe forgiven Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I never realized that you could willag someone. It sounds absolutely... delicious tempting.

Do tell, Tsunafish, how does one willag? ANN forum-appropriate descriptions only. I am a mod, so I must uphold my B+ standards.

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@mdo7
And if you do not approve of their actions by the end of the review period, what will you do then?

He will whip them with a wet noodle and exhort them to greater efforts.

Wink
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I never realized that you could willag someone. It sounds absolutely... delicious tempting.

Do tell, Tsunafish, how does one willag? ANN forum-appropriate descriptions only. I am a mod, so I must uphold my B+ standards.

Wink

My dear, you want to know how to Willag, well... YOU CAN'T HANDLE WILLAGGING!

But if you insist I will tell and its a surprisingly simple process.

First off you need to live and breath the crazy cat lady from the Simpsons for 3 months this way you should pick up some mannerisms, then you move onto phase 2 (P2 for short). P2 involves 50V shocks being sent through you when someone talks to you; this way you screw your face up as a reflex when you try to hold a conversation. Once complete you can Willag to your hearts content; there is also a position in the book of Karamsutra but that's not so ANN appropriate - that if you wish can be explained in our sacred sub area Very Happy
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Well jokes aside (Yes Tsuna and One-Eye's humor make me a chuckle a bit). Laughing

I'll be monitoring the moderators response to any of the post I reported, and see how fast they respond to the post I reported. I'll also monitor their behavior on how they take care of trolls, casual users, and longtime users (like me). I expect our rookie moderators to uphold teh rules, and I expect them to not be power hungry and don't turn into troll. In case if you didn't know, I have heard of stories from people who use forum (not ANN but other forum) told me stories about moderators abusing their power and acting like trolls and bending (and violating) forum rules (like corrupted cop getting involved with illegal activities).

If I do see any inappropriate behaviors or questionable/suspicious activities from any of the rookie moderators, I'll take a screen snapshot of that activities (in case if the moderators in question tried to delete/cover up evidence) and present it to Zac and Tempest via PM, and not on ANN feedback forum.

But so far, our rookie moderators are doing a good job and I expected it to be that way. I know none of them will abuse their power or turn into internet trolls on this forum.

Sorry, mdo, I thought I clicked the "quote" button, but I hit the "edit" button instead and unintentionally modified your post. --willag
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
why?
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
why?

Well, just to make sure. Think of me as a unofficial monitor. Want to make sure if the moderators Zac and Tempest selected was the right one.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
and that seems entirely appropriate to you?
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
getchman wrote:
why?

Well, just to make sure. Think of me as a unofficial monitor. Want to make sure if the moderators Zac and Tempest selected was the right one.

Why is your opinion more important than any other normal user's? Nothing gives you the right to appoint yourself to such a position. I'm sure Zac etc will be the first to know if anyone is messing about so it's really none of your business.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
and that seems entirely appropriate to you?

Well, I just want to make sure they do their job.

st_owly wrote:

Why is your opinion more important than theirs? I'm sure they'll be the first to know if anyone is messing about.

Ok, calm down. I'm not trying to take the moderators down or tick them off. I just want to make sure they do their job and being honest. Have you ever heard of the term: Power can corrupt even the honest law-abiding people. There was a interesting study on what happen if power was given to the honest people:

Medical Daily

Science Daily

I just want to make sure our rookie moderators don't go too far with their new power. There's a reason why police have internal affairs for (but then again who monitors internal affair?).

I don't have anything against the new rookie moderators, but I want to make sure they uphold the ANN rule and not scare away many people from going onto ANN.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Who polices da po-po???

I for one can rest easy knowing that mdo7 is on the job.

(...hee hee hee...)
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Who polices da po-po???

I for one can rest easy knowing that mdo7 is on the job.

(...hee hee hee...)

Yep, that's why I didn't want to be a ANN moderator, I don't know what would happen if I got that moderator power (well that and I don't watch a lot of anime like I used to) despite having a strong sense of justice. But yeah, someone has to make sure a newly given power person does not go corrupt.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7

While I can appreciate your enthusiasm to make this a better forum, you're stepping on Zac's, Chris', and all of the admins' and moderators' toes. They were the ones who voted us into this position, and they're quite aware of how we are doing. They can review our actions (how we choose to respond to reported posts and moderated threads), and I'm certain if several of us started going too far they'd probably hear some complaints and ask us to back off.

As to reviewing how quickly we respond to your reported posts, about half of the time we don't find the reported post a problem and so we don't do anything. We'll leave the post as is and close out the report. There's no way for you to measure our response time on those things because on your end it looks like nothing has been done. But we did review it and determined it acceptable.

If you have concerns about how we've handled something, feel free to PM us or comment about it here. But don't be taking it upon yourself to be our monitor. That's Zac's and the admin's jobs, not yours.

Thank you.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
getchman wrote:
why?

No offense mdo but that is not your call to make.

mdo7 wrote:

Well, I just want to make sure they do their job.

mdo7 wrote:

I just want to make sure our rookie moderators don't go too far with their new power.

It is rather presumptuous and arrogant to think that it is your job to monitor us or grade our performance. It can also be seen as backseat moderating which btw is a violation of rule 8.C here. It is one thing to report any posts by a moderator you feel were excessive or rude, it is another thing entirely to say you are going to grade them, monitor them, report them behind their backs (which suggests we'd simply delete any complaints made against us in the feedback section), and pass judgment yourself. Furthermore grading us weekly is also rather arrogant and honestly a bit offensive. As is repeatedly calling us "rookie" moderators as if we're somehow below the quality of other moderators here or deserve less respect than you'd show another moderator or staff member. We appreciate people's enthusiasm to make this place better as Willag said, but saying you're basically going to monitor and judge the staff here yourself does not help.

As far as reports go I'm sorry mdo but the mods are not your personal morality and defense force here. We do read every report we get but just because you, or someone else, reports something does not automatically mean it violates any rules or requires any action. We also respond to them when we can and when we see them. We do not respond to one user's reports faster than another users.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13