• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex to Release Imported Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works Blu-ray Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:58 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

That's where I'm tied up right now too. I already have a pre-order in for the Amazon.jp one, but I really do want the English Translation booklet. My main question now is just whether or not the on disk extras are going to have subtitles(for either set) and whether that translation booklet is going to include the novel along with the 50 page booklet. Super conflicted right now.... Confused

Maybe just contact the site and ask? You're probably one of the few willing to pay that price for the LE, so I'd be surprised if they weren't generous with the details.
shi666san

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:01 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Razzuel wrote:
Unless the dollar to yen exchange rate drops by the time March rolls around, you're better off importing this. I don't think a translation book is worth the extra 100+ dollars.
Yep. To quote this post from The Fandom Post...
Quote:
Here's where we're at as of right now:

LE
Amazon Japan listed MSRP: ¥42,120
Amazon Japan listed discounted price (26% off): ¥31,168
Actual Amazon Japan discounted price (less 8% Japanese tax): ¥28,859
Shipping to North America: ¥800
Handling for one Blu-ray disc item: ¥300
Total: ¥29,959
Total in USD (exchange rate at the time of this posting is 119.28): $251.17

LE w/ Amazon Japan exclusive tapestry
Amazon Japan listed price (full LE MSRP, no discount): ¥42,120
Actual Amazon Japan price (less 8% Japanese tax): ¥39,000
Shipping to North America: ¥800
Handling for one Blu-ray disc item: ¥300
Total: ¥40,100
Total in USD (exchange rate at the time of this posting is 119.28): $336.18

So, really what it comes down to for some folks is this (compared to the LE at Amazon Japan): is the translation booklet and a yet-to-be-detailed wall scroll worth an additional $162.81 (give or take) to you?

Alternately, if you really want something to hang on your wall (compared to the LE with tapestry at Amazon Japan): is the translation booklet worth an additional $77.80 (give or take) to you?
That is the difference here, it's more expensive than Fate/Zero S1, and that used an even worse exchange rate, around $1=80 JPY when the yen was strong.

Really wanting English translations for the production booklet, but that price difference, this is going to be a tough decision for me.

I was going to mention that you can also get the BD set (along with the tapestry) for ¥35,800 on ami.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:09 am Reply with quote
Import sets like these generally don't subtitle or translate the extra content. So other than the extra translation guide for the 50 page interview for the US Import Version don't expect the Novel and other bonus content to have the same treatment if you import it.

This set is really for people who don't care about a English Dub and want to own the show now, and can't wait 2-3 years.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:12 am Reply with quote
And only $398.98? What a steal! (Though I take it this means there were no singles for the Japanese release?)
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:23 am Reply with quote
I'd love to import this but the English Dub of Fate/Zero was absolutely fantastic. I wonder what Hanabee are going to do with the Aussie release
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:32 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Import sets like these generally don't subtitle or translate the extra content. So other than the extra translation guide for the 50 page interview for the US Import Version don't expect the Novel and other bonus content to have the same treatment if you import it.

This set is really for people who don't care about a English Dub and want to own the show now, and can't wait 2-3 years.

That's what I'm expecting given my experience with Aniplex US import versions, but as whiskeyii suggested, I'll still probably give them a call to double check. If it doesn't that just makes my decision much easier anyway.

kevinx59 wrote:
And only $398.98? What a steal! (Though I take it this means there were no singles for the Japanese release?)

That's what they did with Fate/Zero, as far as I know, so I'm expecting the same thing here. I don't know what other series, if any, Aniplex has released like that, but I'm glad they do it with Fate at least.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:49 am Reply with quote
If I was a big Fate fan, then I would buy this set in a heartbeat. Right now, I need to finish my collection on other import anime titles first so I would have to put this on a hold.

I have great respect for fans who bought Fate/Zero BD box. One time, I remember seeing a fan who had that boxset for Gen Urobuchi autograph session at a convention. I told him that he is giving the ultimate respect for the writer because ghetto posters and pirated merchandises still lurk around.
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:12 am Reply with quote
Wait, does this mean the Japanese release is subtitled? The amazon.jp listing doesn't mention that at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:55 am Reply with quote
I'd love to own this set but the price is too rich for my blood.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:23 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'd love to own this set but the price is too rich for my blood.

Okay. Let's not start "Aniplex is rip-off" ranting.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah...think I'll wait for the release that has an english dub and is only around $150.

I simply can't understand how a 13 episode set could be this expensive.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote
NegativeZero wrote:
Wait, does this mean the Japanese release is subtitled? The amazon.jp listing doesn't mention that at all.

I'd think so. They said it's the imported Japanese release, and unless the discs already had subs they'd have to reprint them. I don't have any Aniplex releases to check that fact, but that would be the logical conclusion...

Those who don't particularly care for the translated booklet are better off with just importing the Japanese release. Heck, even with the wall scroll edition and customs fee(?) you might come on top...

At least you have it better, here in Finland there's a customs fee of 24% on importing stuff like anime/manga/games/figurines, and that's calculated on both the price and shipping. Makes me almost rip my hair on stuff like calendars...
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote
Sorry Aniplex, not this time.
I am NOT buying these import sets @ $400/$500,
then find out you're releasing the domestic sets (w/ a dub, no less)
at a lower price point.

Fool me once, shame on you!
Fool me twice, shame on me! Cool
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
Since when are five discs necessary for 13 episodes? Wouldn't everything be able to fit in three discs or perhaps even two?

This is ANIPLEX we're talking about. If they could release 13 discs they would. Twisted Evil
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
So, Japan's economy blows up, the yen goes up to like ~200 yen per dollar, and suddenly Aniplex of America's biggest competition is its own parent company through direct imports!

That's a future I'd pay to see... Wait actually no please god no, I get paid in yen don't I?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6