• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex to Release Imported Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works Blu-ray Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote
At full retail price, Fate UBW is going to be $38.38 per episode. At the lowest possible price listed in this thread, an episode will cost $19.34.

I'll just let that sink in.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
Dumnerd wrote:
Sorry Aniplex, not this time.
I am NOT buying these import sets @ $400/$500,
then find out you're releasing the domestic sets (w/ a dub, no less)
at a lower price point.

Fool me once, shame on you!
Fool me twice, shame on me! Cool
I don't think they're trying to fool anyone. We all know that a domestic release will happen eventually. They're just giving an option to those of us who are more well off and less patient. It'll be another year at least until the dub comes out at this rate so I can see why people would do it. I myself imported Madoka Rebellion despite my eager anticipation to hear Cristina Vee play Homucifer.

Although I kind of get your pain. I imported a few Love Live BDs with English subtitles since the NISA release was region locked and no one had picked it up in Australia. And then... someone picked it up. Madman, the biggest anime distributor in the country, no less.

Seriously though, Japan really need to sort out their prices. The cost of one Season of Breaking Bad over there is about as much as I paid for the entire show. Yet it's still way cheaper than this boxset.
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
Placed my pre-order more than a month ago.

Link.

Aniplex of Bullshit keeps me laughing.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
Since when are five discs necessary for 13 episodes? Wouldn't everything be able to fit in three discs or perhaps even two?

With the standard being 2 eps. on a disc in Japan and this means it might take 6 disc, this is a bargain I think.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
13 ep shows are typically 7 volumes with the first having one episode and the rest having too. Yeah, it's pretty dumb. But as long as hardcore otaku keep giving away their shekles I doubt it's going to change.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Here we go again, ok people try to get a clue this is a "Import" so it's the Japanese Release of a hot show that has a fan base willing to put up the money to own it at the same time as Japan. So of course it's going to be expensive.

They could have put no English subtitles on it and made us English speaking fans wait about 2-3 years for a domestic release. Then no one would be complaining as usual about Aniplex. Be grateful that they even bothered to put subtitles so that you don't have to learn Japanese to enjoy it.

How is anyone surprised it's the same price as the Fate Zero import from a few years ago, only difference is the Yen to Dollar Exchange rate is much better now. So if you import it from Japan you can knock the $400.00 dollar price tag down to $250.00 or so.

So if you can wait a few years you'll be able to buy the US release at around $300.00 dollars for the whole show just like for Fate Zero which I did. I could have bought the previous series at $700.00 bucks but didn't want to own it that badly for that kind of money not because it was a rip off.

Why do people defend this crap? 300 dollars for the whole set is STILL far too expensive. The value of 24-26 episodes is around 60 dollars. Aniplex never released a realistically priced version of Fate/Zero and they won't for this either. The DVDs for Fare/Zero are still officially 69.98 for 12 episodes. That's insane. Nearly 6 dollars an episode. It's higher per hour than minimum wage for the standard dub release DVDs. Not blurays, DVDs. Blurays should be the norm, not a premium in 2014. Blurays should be 30-40 dollars per 12 episodes. Just because YOU can afford it (or their parents, in most cases of people I've seen that actually own these Aniplex sets) doesn't mean most people can. Basically buying even their cheaper version for most fans basically amounts to "Do I want to buy this and nothing else for the entire year or do I want to buy nearly a hundred hours of other anime for the same price?" Then of course there's people that just can't afford to spend 300+ dollars on an anime in a single year that just screwed over forever. Aniplex has no respect for their own fans, that's all there is to it. They only care about the premium fans with really good jobs and/or rich parents.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Already POed on Amazon, haven't been watching the streams as I want to experience it in delicious HD the first time that I watch it Very Happy!

Kougeru wrote:

Why do people defend this crap? 300 dollars for the whole set is STILL far too expensive. The value of 24-26 episodes is around 60 dollars. Aniplex never released a realistically priced version of Fate/Zero and they won't for this either. The DVDs for Fare/Zero are still officially 69.98 for 12 episodes. That's insane. Nearly 6 dollars an episode. It's higher per hour than minimum wage for the standard dub release DVDs. Not blurays, DVDs. Blurays should be the norm, not a premium in 2014. Blurays should be 30-40 dollars per 12 episodes. Just because YOU can afford it (or their parents, in most cases of people I've seen that actually own these Aniplex sets) doesn't mean most people can. Basically buying even their cheaper version for most fans basically amounts to "Do I want to buy this and nothing else for the entire year or do I want to buy nearly a hundred hours of other anime for the same price?" Then of course there's people that just can't afford to spend 300+ dollars on an anime in a single year that just screwed over forever. Aniplex has no respect for their own fans, that's all there is to it. They only care about the premium fans with really good jobs and/or rich parents.

1. You do not decide the value of anime episodes.

2. You do not have to have a "really good job" to afford the high quality sets that AoA puts out. I don't make that much money but I don't feel like i need to buy all anime that is released either. Personally i'm much more happy with 1 quality set rather than 4-5 barebone releases with plausible errors and lower quality discs. Quality > Quantity IMO.

3. It's true that Aniplex mostly caters to collectors but I don't see any problems with that. Companies like Funimation & Sentai releases a lot more anime but barely ever caters to collectors which saddens me. AoA is a good counterweight to that.

4. I feel that AoA respects their fans much more than lets say Funimation. For instance, Aniplex will stream their shows pretty much EVERYWHERE. They make it available on so many platforms and in so many different countries. Can't say the same thing for Funimation that loves locking their website streams AND disc releases.

5. AoA also regularly brings over amazing people from Japan to events, whether it be VAs, staff members or singers.

Aniplex does so much awesome stuff, yet some horse beaters still cannot let go off the fact that Aniplex charges more than traditional licensors, which is quite sad really. You don't HAVE to buy the physical release, as they make their shows available on so many different platforms.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
I like the Fate series like most anime fans, but that price... Man, that's steep. I can buy several figures with that money.

that unfortunately have been the MO for aniplex and NIS america. distributing their series at insane prices that only the most hardcore otakus would buy. sure while they have a crapload of extras in their sets,that is way too freaking much. most of us that arent rich are better off waiting for the US release cause at least that one will both have and english dub as well as the extras without the outrageous price tag.

whiskeyii wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a different company than the ones who released the first version of FSN, right?

EDIT: Also really surprised to see a simultaneous release. Wonder why they chose to do it that way.

kinda obvious really. is too keep a control and to prevent illegal streaming / fansubbing of their product.

also it was studio deen that did the first fsn which used all three routes but ended with the fate / saber route which in my opinion is the best route and of course might be the official route since some parts of the fate route have been mentioned in hollow ataraxia which is the sequel to FSN.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

...For instance, Aniplex will stream their shows pretty much EVERYWHERE. They make it available on so many platforms and in so many different countries.

Not true. Case in point, Fate Unlimited is region-blocked on Crunchy at least in this part of Europe...
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
The price is a major turn off for me
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

also it was studio deen that did the first fsn which used all three routes but ended with the fate / saber route which in my opinion is the best route and of course might be the official route since some parts of the fate route have been mentioned in hollow ataraxia which is the sequel to FSN.

Actually, Hollow Ataraxia takes elements from all three routes. There isn't any one official route in FSN; they're all cannon according to Nasu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
They only care about the premium fans with really good jobs and/or rich parents.

Did it ever occur to you that those people ARE the target for PREMIUM items? My lord, why is this to hard to understand? Aniplex caters to people who have a lot of disposable money. Those are their main customers. They don't really care about other groups of people because they always sell all of their premium items. Why should they release a cheaper version later? They would just get less people buying the premium version. They are a business, not a charity.

tl:dr: I support the business model of Aniples, and I can't even afford their premium releases.

Aniples customers:
1. Have a lot of disposable income.
2. Want the same high quality Japan has on their BD.
3. Do not like waiting for a show to be released.
4. Do not care about English dubbing.

Does that sound like the customers of say, Funimation or Sentai?
No, because Aniplex targets a different demographic: collectors.
Funi and Sentai target more casual

Last edited by DmonHiro on Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

Aniplex does so much awesome stuff, yet some horse beaters still cannot let go off the fact that Aniplex charges more than traditional licensors, which is quite sad really. You don't HAVE to buy the physical release, as they make their shows available on so many different platforms.

It pains me that people have gotten to a point where they truly believe this. Not only are they the greediest company I've ever seen in anime, at the end of the day most of their titles are trash even, they've just gotten so good at convincing people that everything they do is worth some high premium price that they've managed to be successful at it and continue driving the standards of the industry if not down at least in a really uncomfortable direction.

DmonHiro wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
They only care about the premium fans with really good jobs and/or rich parents.

Did it ever occur to you that those people ARE the target for PREMIUM items? My lord, why is this to hard to understand? Aniplex caters to people who have a lot of disposable money. Those are their main customers. They don't really care about other groups of people because they always sell all of their premium items. Why should they release a cheaper version later? They would just get less people buying the premium version. They are a business, not a charity.

tl:dr: I support the business model of Aniples, and I can't even afford their premium releases.

Again because people that think like this exist is why a trash company like Aniplex exists. Again not even just talking about the pricing, their titles are by and large overhyped garbage barely worth the watch even at the end of the day yet they are really good at convincing and hyping people up to think they're must buys and the next bleeding edge thing everyone who is anyone has to own similar to how Triple AAA gaming companies work. Of course people are free too and will reward bad corporate behavior and mediocrity because this is the anime fanbase and it's all about that now.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Again because people that think like this exist is why a trash company like Aniplex exists. Again not even just talking about the pricing, their titles are by and large overhyped garbage barely worth the watch even at the end of the day.

If you consider their shows garbage, then why exactly do you even care about their pricing. This seems like a severe case of sour grapes to me.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Wait how much for 13eps of an anime that I all ready own
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6