• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex to Release Imported Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works Blu-ray Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamutzero89

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, I knew this was coming so I put aside 20$ each month since the series was first announced, I can now afford this without problems. Gonna go with Amazon.jp though, yen is to cheap to pass this up.
Nimitz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Okay. Let's not start "Aniplex is rip-off" ranting.

Might as well shout "STOP" at an avalanche.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Nimitz wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Okay. Let's not start "Aniplex is rip-off" ranting.

Might as well shout "STOP" at an avalanche.

I can easily do that. I could also rewind and foward it. Razz
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
the DVDs for Fate/Zero are still officially 69.98 for 12 episodes. That's insane. Nearly 6 dollars an episode. It's higher per hour than minimum wage for the standard dub release DVDs.
Still lower than typical DVD prices from every company 10 years ago, which would often be $100-130 for 12 episodes if you wanted an artbox of varying quality. And that's $125-$162 in today's dollars.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I love the show to death but that's too much money for 13 episodes, still want that wall scroll though
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
traveling wrote:
The whole "Aniplex's prices are too high" yadayada ya thing is the most unproductive conversation on this site and it is becoming very tiring. It doesn't help that we have it with anything even remotely related to Aniplex. It's usually the same opportunistic porters that repeat what they've bitched about in every thread.

I think we do it in the hopes that one of those assclowns lurks around here and reads this stuff - you know, wish for a miracle and they juuuuust might get the hint - seeing as a select few ANN readers are pretty much AoA's only customer base...

But again, expectations should be managed. And as John Malkovich said it best, hopes are those things you cling to when reality has left you nothing else.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
traveling wrote:
The whole "Aniplex's prices are too high" yadayada ya thing is the most unproductive conversation on this site and it is becoming very tiring. It doesn't help that we have it with anything even remotely related to Aniplex. It's usually the same opportunistic porters that repeat what they've bitched about in every thread.

I think we do it in the hopes that one of those assclowns lurks around here and reads this stuff - you know, wish for a miracle and they juuuuust might get the hint - seeing as a select few ANN readers are pretty much AoA's only customer base...

But again, expectations should be managed. And as John Malkovich said it best, hopes are those things you cling to when reality has left you nothing else.

And when you form your opinion like that I'm sure they'll give it their utmost time and attention. Yup.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
Which is why I choose to be more productive about it! Like with this thread, brought to you by My Thread™.

Well, to be perfectly honest, that's not an effort to get their attention so much as find a bazillion-times better alternative. But, deep down somewhere in the icy recesses of my cold heart, I had hoped that losing their customers to another region would illicit some kind of change, or hell, even a response. But alas....Aniplex representatives are every bit the dicks they made themselves out to be on Facebook, Twitter, various conventions..... Uh... Honestly. I don't even know what I was thinking...erm, thinking that. Silly optimistic me!

It's actually kind of funny how vehemently they police and/or ignore any questions or comments regarding their pricing strategy, yet make no efforts to remotely do anything with it. You'd think if they were so strongly confident of their strategy, they'd address it and defend it. But instead...nothing. And that makes me think there's a serious lack of communication going on somewhere.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Still lower than typical DVD prices from every company 10 years ago, which would often be $100-130 for 12 episodes if you wanted an artbox of varying quality. And that's $125-$162 in today's dollars.

That might be true, but they're the only US company that uses this sort of pricing strategy. So I think that the situation 10 years ago is irrelevant to how things are today.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
traveling wrote:

a select few ANN readers are pretty much AoA's only customer base...

This is hugely untrue.
geowrian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote
Why do collectors ruin everything good? /bait

But seriously, that's both the reason we get these kinds of releases at all and the reason they charge such absurd prices for them. Personally, I'd prefer fewer releases like this but at "affordable" prices instead of high-end luxury prices.

The company will continue to do it as long as they can find enough people to pay those prices. If you don't like the absurd prices, then then don't buy it and contact the company to tell them why you aren't buying it (so they aren't guessing at the cause of people not happy with their releases).
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Why do people defend this crap? 300 dollars for the whole set is STILL far too expensive. The value of 24-26 episodes is around 60 dollars. Aniplex never released a realistically priced version of Fate/Zero and they won't for this either. The DVDs for Fare/Zero are still officially 69.98 for 12 episodes. That's insane. Nearly 6 dollars an episode. It's higher per hour than minimum wage for the standard dub release DVDs. Not blurays, DVDs. Blurays should be the norm, not a premium in 2014. Blurays should be 30-40 dollars per 12 episodes. Just because YOU can afford it (or their parents, in most cases of people I've seen that actually own these Aniplex sets) doesn't mean most people can. Basically buying even their cheaper version for most fans basically amounts to "Do I want to buy this and nothing else for the entire year or do I want to buy nearly a hundred hours of other anime for the same price?" Then of course there's people that just can't afford to spend 300+ dollars on an anime in a single year that just screwed over forever. Aniplex has no respect for their own fans, that's all there is to it. They only care about the premium fans with really good jobs and/or rich parents.
Fate/Zero on DVD is still cheaper than what FUNimation (And others) used to charge...
http://i.imgur.com/hCgLi8P.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/u6HenEh.jpg

Sorry, but FUNimation wasn't always your cheap pal. And guess what, when singles disappeared in 2010, sales didn't increase enough. Prices lowered, yet revenue lowered, cheap didn't save the industry.
http://i.imgur.com/u6hVSjI.jpg

And 12 episodes on BD should be $30-$40? LOL, NO company charges this much for a brand new show. Your typical FUNimation part 1 LE is $52.50 when it's not on-sale at Rightstuf ($42 when on-sale, or right when it first goes up for pre-order). Even if you go with the RE of part 1, the price still isn't $40. Sentai does the same thing, brand new shows in parts are that same price as FUNi LE's, and when they do a complete set, well...
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/JYvgzyBiO0hXAfZbkv/browse/item/102847/4/0/0

So I guess everything is overpriced...

And aren't you entitled? Who are you to tell everyone how much a show is worth, and that anyone who can afford these must have rich parents? I work part-time at a movie theater for minimum wage, and I can afford this. It requires me to save my money. I'd also still have enough money to buy some other things for the rest of the year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

How is "don't want to wait a long time for a release" and "want the same HQ as Japan" a cockblock? I get "disposable income" and "English dub" (for dub lovers, I guess), but the rest... everyone should want HQ and fast speed.

guess it varies from person to person. for myself, I don't care how long it takes, and as long as the show isn't blurry, I'm good

Then wait for the significantly cheaper domestic release rather than buying the expensive import. Why is that so hard for people to comprehend?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Then wait for the significantly cheaper domestic release rather than buying the expensive import. Why is that so hard for people to comprehend?

chill out man, I'm definitely not one of the people complaining here
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
That might be true, but they're the only US company that uses this sort of pricing strategy. So I think that the situation 10 years ago is irrelevant to how things are today.
It is relevant, because it shows that while AoA's model (which NISA sometimes approaches) is an outlier compared to the rest of today's market, it's still part of an overall downward trend that's been going on for decades -- per-episode prices in the VHS era were even higher, especially if you wanted both language tracks.

鏡 wrote:
Leland Lee wrote:
a select few ANN readers are pretty much AoA's only customer base...

This is hugely untrue.
Yeah, surely there are a few fandompost readers in there as well Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6