• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Temporarily Suspends Vinland Saga Manga in US

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I hope cruncyroll could rescue the manga and distrubute it online.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Those ICv2 lists you see publicized have no numbers attached to them, so they're not really useful, to be honest. You can be king of a bad week (industry-wise) and still be not particularly impressive in the overall picture.

Wait for late February or so for the 2014 BookScan top 750 in comics list to be released on Comic Book Resources if you want some picture to work with.

Edit: Comment on scale...
A manga vol selling 10k in the USA is not so much 'a solid hit', but more like.... hmmmm, let's say a couple thousand more than the highest selling volume of Bleach* in 2013 via methods and stores tracked by BookScan. Well, a couple thousand and a few hundred.
Alternatively, 10,000 would place 115th in BookScan's list of comics.

*why Bleach as an example? Because it's 'known' for being big in the western manga/anime fandom. Now by this point it's an outdated reputation, according to recent BookScan numbers, but we know how reality lags behind reputation by a number of years when it comes to popular reference pools.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Definitely going to put me off picking up new series from Kodansha USA until they offer a reason/excuse and tell us what their plans are to continue the series. If they had any intentions of releasing the series I'd have thought powering through and releasing volumes 6 & 7 whilst they're riding high on Titan money would be the best time to do so. Then they'd be caught up and only have to release a new omnibus every year or so.

I really hope they offer more clarification though as just quietly mentioning it in a reply on Twitter doesn't show enough respect for people who have used their money to support the series in my opinion. Plus cancelled licences have a very negative impact on the industry so a plan of action would be much appreciated to negate that.

It seems clear from Kodansha's twitter/tumblr accounts that they're all big fans of the series as well, and unhappy with whatever circumstances led to this decision (could be something on the Japanese side or out of their hands, we don't know). I hope for some clarity (and a return to regular releases) as well, but if anyone takes this as a reason to stop buying Kodansha books, I think that would encourage the exact opposite effect of what we want to happen.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Terrible news indeed.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
This is very unfortunate. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
noblesse: I'm guessing that other Viking story on cable cut into their sales. So what they should've done is advertise the manga on there.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:

It seems clear from Kodansha's twitter/tumblr accounts that they're all big fans of the series as well, and unhappy with whatever circumstances led to this decision (could be something on the Japanese side or out of their hands, we don't know). I hope for some clarity (and a return to regular releases) as well, but if anyone takes this as a reason to stop buying Kodansha books, I think that would encourage the exact opposite effect of what we want to happen.

According to Ben Applegate's twitter he seems to imply that it was weak sales that led to this.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:

I'm still going to continue with titles I am currently purchasing but the publisher plays a role in determining series I pick up in future when I have limited disposable income. & dropping a series with little to no explanation makes me wary of investing in new series when I have no clue what caused the "suspension". £50 is a lot of money to spend on a series for it to be dropped with no reason given. When Seven Seas lost the license for Blood Alone, they explained the issue of the JP publisher changing so fans could understand. When Viz stopped releasing Gintama, Reborn!, etc they admitted it was did to low sales & became more careful in selecting future licenses. But being kept in the dark is frustrating as we have no clue why this has happened or what they're planning to do to rectify the situation. Hopefully they're preparing a statement.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Good lord. I just bought 1-5.. They should at the very least power through till book 7 as it's the end of Farmland Saga. If it's not a total flop then they should do it for the fans since they still make some money from it.
TheS829

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd guess it's because their main market is just heavily Shounen/Shoujo. Not enough people who want Seinen, and too many of those who just find other ways to read it.
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty much the reason American Anime/Manga Fans are more dumb than in Japan.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Im still going to buy the 2 volumes im missing because stopping now would only make the issue worse. I guess we're adding vinland saga to the long list of manga that is neglected by the US audience.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but feel anger as now bad sales in the US means the UK fans have to suffer.
skafreak51

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty depressing if it does get canceled. I guess this is one reason I slowed down on buying manga. There's no reason a comic with such amazing quality should get shafted. I wouldn't of invested in buying 5 large, hardcover copies of the first 5 volumes if I knew this would happen.

And a little top for people citing bad sales as a reason (from a guy who has some higher knowledge about sales numbers,) yes, it is entirely possible, but I doubt that's the reason, or at least the only reason. There are series that have much lower sales and still get releases in the US.
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
That sucks, Vinland Saga & Gundam Origin were the only manga I bought this year. I never even knew Vinland Saga sold so poorly, I just assumed it did well.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6