• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Temporarily Suspends Vinland Saga Manga in US

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
I can't help but feel anger as now bad sales in the US means the UK fans have to suffer.

well we dont have our own market so we have to make do.
JonLa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they're rethinking the release strategy? Could go to single volumes or digital only? I'm reading them in the kindle app and it's brilliant.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Twage wrote:
Also, ICv2 only reflects one segment of the market, a segment for which manga is not their main business. And remember, unlike for comics, for manga 10k is a solid hit. Scale is different.

Good point. But still, tons of manga series continue to be published that I've never even seen crack the list.

RAmmsoldat wrote:
Im still going to buy the 2 volumes im missing because stopping now would only make the issue worse. I guess we're adding vinland saga to the long list of manga that is neglected by the US audience.

Thank you. It's definitely a must-own for manga fans. In my top 5 for best manga I've ever read.

kanjineogeo wrote:
I hope cruncyroll could rescue the manga and distrubute it online.

Wouldn't be the same. The volumes that Kodansha USA have produced are fantastic and include translation notes, maps, Q&A with Yukimura, and so many more little details that make them great.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
kanjineogeo wrote:
That's pretty much the reason American Anime/Manga Fans are more dumb than in Japan.

Not really, manga is easy to find in Japan and its cheap. We just don't have that culture here.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Well that sucks maybe it this happen because they released it way to fast and people couldnt keep up on it
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
well if they want to slow the release schedule down im ok with that, viz did it with excel saga and that got finished eventually.

@noblesse oblige

It is a must own, I've read past the end of the farm bit in the scans and I knew early days it was well worth buying, id been wanting it to come out for ages and was so happy when it was announced available to buy because I make every effort to get anything i enjoy bought where possible. They said its a temporary suspension so its not the end of the world though I do understand why people are worried as there have been a few series quietly dropped in the past.

its funny, i was just readying up to buy another volume of this today and then this news hit. Think i'll just head on over to amazon and pull the trigger on vol.4
animelytical

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
I can't help but feel anger as now bad sales in the US means the UK fans have to suffer.

I can't look at it like that at all. If it was solely down to the UK, the sales wouldn't reach the level they did reach. We are all in it together in this case.
animelytical

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:

I can't look at it like that at all. If it was solely down to the UK, the sales wouldn't reach the level they did reach. We are all in it together in this case.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
This has been on my to-buy list for ages, but it being hardcover omnibuses means it takes quite a big chunk out of my budget so I've been hesitant whilst I've been finishing other things. Tempted to pull the trigger now.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
They are really nice, well worth the cost and with them being omnibuses they dont actually cost that much compared to buying 2 individual volumes.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I was worried about this when I pre-ordered volume 6 and got a foggy release date.

Vinland Saga is one of the best titles to come across western borders in 20+ years. I feel so hollow and helpless to know that it may not continue. It breaks my heart that it may be dropped.

I have to wonder how much the whole amazon "cancel the pre-orders for volume 1" disaster hurt the series.

I'm begging the staff of ANN and anyone who has read Vinland Saga and enjoyed it to support the series. Write fantastic reviews and if you haven't bought volumes that have been published, then please, please, please buy them. If you were planning on getting volume 6, but simply didn't get around to placing an order, then please pre-order it now.

In this tough publishing industry, a book that sells 1,000 copies is considered a success. We CAN do this. Please support this wonderful series!!!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
At least they implied a reason. Sometimes a licensor drops a manga title here and it might not be due to low sales. When a reason isn't implied, fans can only speculate if it was low sales.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Huh, other than finishing up the Gunslinger Girl omnibus and a few random volumes bought at conventions, Vinland Saga is the only manga I've bought in years. Disappointed to hear that it's being suspended, and I hope the releases will be resumed in the near future.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
In this tough publishing industry, a book that sells 1,000 copies is considered a success. We CAN do this. Please support this wonderful series!!!

This is the issue with them not giving a reason for the suspension though; we don't know if a sales boost will mean the series can be resumed.

They've said on Twitter that they hope to give more information in the new year so I guess there's nothing to do but wait and hope for the best.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Well damn... I thought Vinland Saga would be one of the better sales in the manga department. Really hope they keep going. Sad . The releases are amazing too. I was looking forward to carrying on with the story.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6