• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Temporarily Suspends Vinland Saga Manga in US

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:19 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Boycotting is the opposite of what should be done, you should be doubling your efforts to buy up anything you feel worthwhile because although a lot of these publishers are fans of manga they are running a business and im a bit sick of hearing "oh that series is longer than 10 volumes so its too risky", "we'd have to shrink wrap that and that costs extra and profits are already thin" and "SPORTS STORY!? ROFL"

I'm not exactly boycotting them; I just want to know what went wrong with Vinland Saga and what they plan to do in future so it won't happen again. Until they give some sort of explanation, it's hard to want to pick up more and more series from them. It just feels like they've tried to keep the suspension of Vinland Saga hidden for as long as possible which doesn't strike me as the way they should have gone about it. They still haven't made an actual post about it on Twitter/their website; just a couple of replies that very few people would see unless they're actively looking.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:24 am Reply with quote
Ginrai1984 wrote:
don't get me wrong,personally i'm very dissapointed by this news,but the people of kodansha comics really respect their fanbase even with titles that are selling beneath expectations they tend to find middle ground to keep everyone happy,since it happened in the past with animal land from makoto raiku & cage of eden by yoshinobu yamada.

hence i'm asking to give kodansha comics a little more than the benefit of the doubt.

Cage of Eden has always been released once every three months, as has Missions of Love. Their release dates aren't to do with sales. Animal Land is though; however that never received a "temporary suspension" and was just moved to a once every six months release.

The only other title to ever receive a "temporary suspension" is Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei which is still on "temporary suspension" years later. This is why the news doesn't exaxtly fill me with confidence for Vinland Saga's future.
Ginrai1984

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:11 am Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Ginrai1984 wrote:
don't get me wrong,personally i'm very dissapointed by this news,but the people of kodansha comics really respect their fanbase even with titles that are selling beneath expectations they tend to find middle ground to keep everyone happy,since it happened in the past with animal land from makoto raiku & cage of eden by yoshinobu yamada.

hence i'm asking to give kodansha comics a little more than the benefit of the doubt.

Cage of Eden has always been released once every three months, as has Missions of Love. Their release dates aren't to do with sales. Animal Land is though; however that never received a "temporary suspension" and was just moved to a once every six months release.

The only other title to ever receive a "temporary suspension" is Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei which is still on "temporary suspension" years later. This is why the news doesn't exaxtly fill me with confidence for Vinland Saga's future.

about cage of eden being released in a 3-month per volume from the get go,you're wrong about that,there was a small hicup between volume 5&6 in which a 3-month release was present,but they actually permantly switched to a 3 month per volume shedule from volume 9.

also the switch in publication rate was a result from dissapointing sales,since it was confirmed through a intern working for kodansha comics in that period,here on the ANN forums.

(i'll try and find the message,and post the link afterwards if i can)
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
Ginrai1984 wrote:
about cage of eden being released in a 3-month per volume from the get go,you're wrong about that,there was a small hicup between volume 5&6 in which a 3-month release was present,but they actually permantly switched to a 3 month per volume shedule from volume 9.

also the switch in publication rate was a result from dissapointing sales,since it was confirmed through a intern working for kodansha comics in that period,here on the ANN forums.

(i'll try and find the message,and post the link afterwards if i can)

Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification. Guess that's just more proof that Vinland Saga is going to be another Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei. Also shows that being on the NY Times bestsellers list doesn't necessarily mean anything as Cage of Eden has appeared on the list.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Boycotting is the opposite of what should be done, you should be doubling your efforts to buy up anything you feel worthwhile because although a lot of these publishers are fans of manga they are running a business and im a bit sick of hearing "oh that series is longer than 10 volumes so its too risky", "we'd have to shrink wrap that and that costs extra and profits are already thin" and "SPORTS STORY!? ROFL"

I'm not exactly boycotting them; I just want to know what went wrong with Vinland Saga and what they plan to do in future so it won't happen again. Until they give some sort of explanation, it's hard to want to pick up more and more series from them. It just feels like they've tried to keep the suspension of Vinland Saga hidden for as long as possible which doesn't strike me as the way they should have gone about it. They still haven't made an actual post about it on Twitter/their website; just a couple of replies that very few people would see unless they're actively looking.

Yeah im no fan of the lack of clarity but its not unusual. I asked answerman about it a while back and got a good reply

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2012-05-04
partially

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this doesn't bite the dust.

This is actually one of the reasons I collect very few English manga, but a lot of anime. At least with the anime you can be sure they will finish. I have a ton of anime that are all complete. In comparison I only have a few manga yet like half the titles I started were cancelled. I now normally wait until there is at least certainty it will complete.

In fact Vinland is a title I specifically didn't collect because I saw the format and decided it was all too likely to be cancelled. If it does resume I will reconsider, it got further than I was expecting.

Of the titles I am actually getting I have been expecting an announcement on either Wandering Son or Bride's Story any month now.

Last edited by partially on Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
JonLa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
What went wrong was that nobody wants to buy it! I'm not sure that's entirely their fault. I buy very little manga these days but they got the message to me, out of all the titles, so they did make a fair effort to market it.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
I really wish people would buy this manga along with Drops of God which was a manga that Vertical cut short, but it is phenomenal, and I encourage people to support the one too since they were saying if people started buying more of the volumes they would bridge the gap from that special New World volume that jumps ahead.

Just a quick point... We did not cut Drops of God. That is on the authors themselves. They are not giving us permission to do more.

We've said this repeatedly but that series sold quite well for a company like Vertical. Maybe the authors didn't feel that way, which is partially why don't have the rights to do more.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Of the titles I am actually getting I have been expecting an announcement on either Wandering Son or Bride's Story any month now.

I just want to point out that Yen Press recently resumed/finished two series that had been on hold for a few years (Tena on S-String and Oninagi), and is otherwise quite consistent/reliable in all its releases (Touma's thorough list of unfinished series from US publishers doesn't have any entries for Yen), so I don't think you need to worry about Bride's Story or anything else from the publisher. (plus the series gets like one book a year in Japan, so it's not like there's a huge backlog to catch up on.)
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:

Just a quick point... We did not cut Drops of God. That is on the authors themselves. They are not giving us permission to do more.

We've said this repeatedly but that series sold quite well for a company like Vertical. Maybe the authors didn't feel that way, which is partially why don't have the rights to do more.

Thank you for giving that interesting input Ed. I can see why Drops of god got drop. It's unfortunate the author don't want to give US readers more of the book. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JonLa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes authors just want you to spend more on promotion and stuff than you're able to, I guess, and they expect higher sales. Sorry to hear about Drops of God. I really must try it.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
This sucks. I just bought the first 2 volumes from Rightstuf's Christmas sale.
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Just you know I replied to Kodansha Comics on twitter yesterday and they said theres nothing that they can discuss right now. But they are hoping it can offer more details in the new year.

If it's gets canceled then it's time to go back to the fan manga translation scans unless Cruncyroll rescues it. Well damn, I wish I have an tablet to read manga like normally. Sad

Last edited by kanjineogeo on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:03 pm; edited 5 times in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
kanjineogeo wrote:
Just you know I replied to Kodansha Comics on twitter yesterday and they said theres nothing that they can discuss right now. But they are hoping it can offer more details in the new year.

Well I hope Kodansha can give an explanation for the suspension of Vinland Saga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:

What what WHAT? That's another series I was buying and enjoying... Confused

This makes absolutely no sense... unless they felt going with another publisher would net them more sales because of more promotion?

Sucks for you guys... and me... Sad

But I guess there's hope then that it'll be continued if they find someone else given at least sales-wise it was a profitable venture?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6