• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - ANN Dash

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d.yaro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Of course Pani Poni Dash is strictly a comedy series, and the staff will go all out in terms of bizzarness. Don't expect any plot in this series; it's all comedy in order to make you laugh.

My observation (and adding to the above quote): Is there a plot to Pani Poni Dash!? Well, if I recall there isn't an obvious one that runs the length of the whole series but it's not all random nonsense confined to single episodes. There are a couple of storylines that cross two or more episodes and a connection between one character and one of the aliens which manisfests itself in seemingly standalone episodes here and there. The series does work its way to a revelation of sorts near the end but I'd be hard pressed to call it a sign of there being a plot to this thing.
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:37 pm Reply with quote
pat_payne wrote:
As for being discontinued, I wasn't aware this was a limited edition...is it?

No, that's just GATSU being sardonic and pessimistic.
pat_payne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
None of my friends are able to stand this kind of random/parody comedy with no plot, so you wouldn't be alone.

To be fair, PG, I don't mind off-the-wall random parody comedies (I can't get enough of Excel Saga and I can't wait for Nerima Daikon Bros.) but Pani Poni just was trying to hard to cram in every single cliche they could find, and it just seemed to be tryng to hard to hit all the right fanboy/fangirl notes while not having anything new or real to offer.
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
Actually if Noien can pull it together I'll be a big fan. I've really been looking for a what-in-the-world-is-going-on anime that delivers better than Madlax and Gilgamesh did.
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
I just watched the Terminator 2 yesterday on Encore!
ryusaki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote
Wow. Thanks for having the Gojira review in there at all. the original King of the Monsters,I saw that when I was 2 years old. Been a Big-G fan ever since.
sam18x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
I can definitely vouch for Noein being really scattered at the beginning. I remember my initial reaction was also like "huh? ....meh". But I came back to it later, and found that there was in fact an explanation for everything that shook me to the core.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:28 am Reply with quote
No one else is taking issue with FMP! TSR being placed in the rental pile? Most of the action and mecha lovers out there place it above the first season since it's KyoAni rather than Gonzo doing the animation. And it really hits the ground running on the action/fights/explosions from the first episode, while introducing the new adversaries. Yeah, it doesn't take the time to re-explain everything for the benefit of those who missed the previous series, but that doesn't make it a worse series.

EDIT: Question about the FMP! TSR DVD--curiosity about the subtitles, are they done in ADV-style or Funimation-style? I'm guessing ADV, but with the corporate mishmash on this series, who knows...

I'm getting PaniPoni Dash! on faith that ADV will turn out an Excel Saga-quality release--I like that kind of humor, and while I've only watched one episode fansubbed so far, I took the plunge and pre-ordered.
Quote:
Similar to series of years gone by, Noein tells the tale of two mysterious groups of people, fighting to decide the fate of the world. The key—the Dragon Torque. If it sounds familiar, it’s probably because it’s been done to death.
Ah, you mean like this series? Noein is a series that I really "wanted to like" ever since it first started airing, and after I finally watched the first disc, I was, uh... whelmed. It was okay, and had some neat visuals, but it hasn't quite inexorably grabbed my attention or blown me away. (I think I do remember fighting to stay awake a few times, as well.)

The show itself isn't the only thing in need of cleanup--Noein would've been a more enjoyable experience if not for the abundance of interlacing artifacts in the video and the English dub's inability to get a name right if their life depended on it. Then there's Manga Entertainment's other miscues, like the lack of any separate subtitle track for songs or signs, meaning that if you're listening the English dub and feel like watching the OP/ED, you've got to manually switch subtitle tracks on the fly. Definitely not up to 2006 DVD standards. Some of the subtitles themselves brought back memories of bootleg subtitles, like "If we don't stop them, this world and all of La'Cryma will be disappear!!" I thought I'd give Manga Ent. a chance since I don't have any TV series from them, but now I find myself asking, "Is it really wrong to watch fansubs of something if you pre-orderd the first 4 discs anyway?" Not that the fansubs are that much better in this case.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Derrasanc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:40 am Reply with quote
Pani Poni Dash was something I reallllllllllly enjoyed particularly because after you get used to the characters (and start loving them!) it really keeps me interested by seeing their reactions and actions to the various crazy situations that they're put in.

....not to mention that I love the cast... in particular, angry Yui Horie is sooo cute ><
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:00 am Reply with quote
Zalis:
Quote:
Ah, you mean like this series?

seanny over at http://www.pelleas.net/aniBBS/viewtopic.php?t=101 called it Escaflowne '06, in response to my thread about The Girl Who Conquered Time.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
No one else is taking issue with FMP! TSR being placed in the rental pile? Most of the action and mecha lovers out there place it above the first season since it's KyoAni rather than Gonzo doing the animation. And it really hits the ground running on the action/fights/explosions from the first episode, while introducing the new adversaries. Yeah, it doesn't take the time to re-explain everything for the benefit of those who missed the previous series, but that doesn't make it a worse series.

I was a bit suprised it was in the rental pile. I would have thought it would have been shelf worthy, but hey thats just my opinion. Also, the DVD should have an Episode 0 on it that may do a bit of introduction to the series. But maybe not.

Quote:
EDIT: Question about the FMP! TSR DVD--curiosity about the subtitles, are they done in ADV-style or Funimation-style? I'm guessing ADV, but with the corporate mishmash on this series, who knows...

It's ADV style, since they were in charge of the that aspect of the series. FUNI is the distributor while ADV is the adaptor, which would include the subtitling. This was more or less mentioned on the AoD forums, I believe.

I watched the first episode of Pani Poni Dash fansubbed and it was... unique. I think I'll pick this one up at somepoint, as it looks pretty good.

I've heard good things about Noein, but I think I'll wait for a boxset on this one. It sounds like something that would be better to watch close together rather than spread out over a year. Particularly after reading a couple of posts in this thread. Doesn't sound like the kind of quality I would want to buy the individual discs for. Also, some of the comments in this thread are making me think it may not be as good as I had heard. I'll need to get some more opinions on this one.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:25 am Reply with quote
That FMP second season, isn't that really a third series after Fumufu. then?
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:43 am Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Oh my god. That Pani Poni Dash DVD cover has to be one of the funniest things I've seen in a while, in and of itself.

It's so...awesome. Shocked

If the show's anything like that, I'm sold.

For some reason I'm fondly reminded of both Tenma and Harima at the same time; her for the face, him for the suit. Anime hyper

If anyone wants to know (sorry if it was mentioned already) the cover of PPD Vol.1 is a parody of Sylvester Stallones movie "Cobra". The movie tagline is hillarious too lol. Sadly, that PPD cover art only appeared once in the show, and it was a screen transition. That said, I like PPD, so I'm definetly gonna look forward to this one.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:02 am Reply with quote
I also can't believe Noein only gets a rental shelf nod. Why must series be dumbed down to be considered ... coherent? Noein not supposed to make much sense at the beginning - this isn't a mistake or any oversight on the part of the creators, it's deliberate. Noein is very much a show about people (Haruka and friends) who don't understand what's going on - it's from their viewpoint that most events unfold, so if THEY don't "get it," why should the viewer be expected to? One of the major plot vehicles of the series IS the gradual unveiling of what's "really" going on. Dismissing this as a flaw, just because one happens not to like series that are structured this way, is not very fair.

Noien fascinated me right from the opening sequence of the first episode - I sat back and said to myself, "Wow, this is going to be awesome." It is definately one of the best shows I've seen in years and it constantly surprised me with its depth, its careful manipulation of even the tiniest details, its artistry and its emotional oomph. Do NOT dismiss this series - even if you watched the first few episodes and are wavering, stick with it - although if you're not intensely interested from the get go, I'm not sure anything I can say will save you. hehe
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:03 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
That FMP second season, isn't that really a third series after Fumufu. then?

Fumoffu? is more like Season 1.5, as it doesn't advance the plot in any way and is supposed to take place during the first season. But yes, it is actually the third series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3