• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - ANN Dash

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Noein tells the tale of two mysterious groups of people, fighting to decide the fate of the world.

Wait...there are TWO groups? What's the other one? Razz

One of the many things I liked about Noein is that, even though it's definitely fantastical in nature, it has elements of hard scifi as well. The main plot is based on real theoretical quantum physics...several theories, actually. But I would recommend against looking at the Wiki article on Noein to find out what those theories are, unless you want to be totally spoiled. Wink

I also really loved how they experimented with different animation styles from episode to episode. The fight between spoiler[Karasu and Fukurou] in episode 12 was one of the most incredible, fluidly kinetic action scenes I've EVER seen in anime...and that says a lot, considering I've been watching anime for nearly a quarter of a century now. It makes sense though, when you look at who the animation director for that episode was. Yeah, that's the same guy who did the infamous Naruto vs. Sasuke fight, among many other things. One of my animator idols, to be sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think Noein's better than you're making it out to be. I've only watched the first two episodes so far (the next DVD doesn't come out for a while so why not take my time?). While I won't say it's completely unconventional, I never really got a feeling of cliche yet. If anything it feels new.

Sure, some of the character movements look bizarre at times, but it never stops animating, and it almost always looks great to amazing (never less than above average). Music is great, and while I haven't noticed any mispronounciation's yet, the dub cast is well done. Yeah, perhaps I don't have a comepletely firm grip on the story, but it really does feel like I understand everything I'm supposed to understand... things that will be touched on later...
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
It's ADV style, since they were in charge of the that aspect of the series. FUNI is the distributor while ADV is the adaptor, which would include the subtitling. This was more or less mentioned on the AoD forums, I believe.

It's ADV's translation but FUNimation went with their subtitle font. It is not the yellow larger subtitles that ADV uses but the smaller white ones.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:49 am Reply with quote
Hmmm... The impression I'm getting about Bamboo's take on FMP 2nd Raid is that it's only a rental if you haven't seen the first season or read the manga first. All of her other comments about it seem very positive.
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Pani Poni Dash is an otaku's dream, and a translator's nightmare. It contains an uncountable number of references of anime, video games, dating sims, Japanese and US movies, comedians, and more, with some dating back to the 70's. The amount of references really puts an homage show like Excel Saga to shame. They are littered on the blackboard, notebooks, people's heads, you name it, it could have a reference. Certain episodes consistently poke fun at a single series throughout an episode. I found myself on the floor during a particular episode with a large number of Neon Genesis Evangelion references. (I could recognize them very easily.)

If you haven't seen a large amount of anime, especially the other Peach Moon series Moon Phase, you probably wouldn't find PPD all that funny, just really, really absurd. Funny, but not hilarious. The more references you can recognize, the harder you'll laugh.

If you frequent this site, there's a good chance you'll have seen a lot of the series/movies they reference, and probably played a couple of the games (or at least the genres) they abuse. It's definitely worth it.

I really love the animation style of the series, and the box fits it flawlessly.
scortia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Yay more posts about Noein!

Ditto Kamon's comments... especially about that fight sequence under the spoiler tag. It was so different and so beautifully done. Wow, what an episode that was. I dare say, perfection.

And I really don't see a tie to X TV... The situations between Lacryma and Shangrila aren't at all similar to the Dragons of Earth vs those of Heaven. Yeah it is similar to Escaflowne quite a bit... but what do you expect, it's the same director. Escaflowne is Kazuki's best series imho, so of course he'll look back at what he like from it to explore in a different way.

The characterization in Noein is just so comfortable and real that I love it. But those of you who mentioned wanting to wait until the boxset comes out I can't blame you because it is a good series to see all at once. It's hard enough to follow as it is without months between episodes. BUT it happens to be a good enough series that it is worth seeing asap too. Razz
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:32 am Reply with quote
I picked up FMP and I must say I agree with the others- it should not be in the rental pile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3