• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yo-kai Watch Film Beats Out Disney's Big Hero 6 at Japanese Box Office

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Japanese trailers/covers/names tend to be more reflective of the content of the film compared to America. For example, Frozen is called Anna and the Snow Queen in Japan, which is closer to the story the film is based on. The title "Frozen' was chosen because Disney felt having a female in the title would alienate boys from wanting to see it. Tangled/Rapunzel is the same way. Wreck-It Ralph was also called Sugar Rush in Japan.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:11 am Reply with quote
Incidentally, Frozen is #1 on holiday wish lists of girls in America this season, supplanting Barbie who had been #1 for 11 years in a row. “Frozen” was also the most searched movie in 2014, according to Google (I imagine there's a way to distinguish the movie from simply the word frozen).

Fedora-san wrote:

Japanese trailers/covers/names tend to be more reflective of the content of the film compared to America. For example, Frozen is called Anna and the Snow Queen in Japan, which is closer to the story the film is based on. The title "Frozen' was chosen because Disney felt having a female in the title would alienate boys from wanting to see it. Tangled/Rapunzel is the same way. Wreck-It Ralph was also called Sugar Rush in Japan.

Maybe, though not always for the better. (In the case of Wreck-It Ralph, it is more about Ralph than the kart racing game and the theme song.) Sometimes, the Japanese titles are too literal or spoilerific:

Despicable Me --> Mysterious Theif Gru's Moon Theft
Being John Malkovich --> Malkovich's Hole
Ratatouille --> Remy's Delicious Restaurant
Up --> Grandpa Carl's Flying House
Jersey Girl --> I Love My Father The Best In All The World
The Butler --> Tears of the President's Butler
Apocalypse Now --> Apocalypse of Hell
Final Destination 3 --> Final Deadcoaster
The Constant Gardener --> Nairobi Bees
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon --> Green Destiny
The Men Who Stare at Goats --> A Goat & A Man & A Man & A Wall
You Only Live Twice --> 007 Dies Twice
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off --> Ferris, Suddenly One Morning
The Manchurian Candidate (1962) --> The Sniper Without a Shadow
British Bonus: Moon --> The Man Who Was Imprisoned on the Moon (spoilerific!)
Army of Darkness --> Captain Supermarket (this title gives away the funny little surprise twist at the end of the movie!)(but the Japanese poster makes up for it! Laughing )

leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
I like how the original title of the movie is still on that poster. It must have confused Japanese movie-goers as to what this "Army of Darkness" soup was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3