• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Frozen Sells All-Time Record of 2.269 Million BD/DVD Sets to Top Spirited Away, Madoka Magica

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
It just baffles me how Frozenmania has swept the nation. I have never seen such an overhyped and overexposed film before...

The movie was okay, but it was nothing spectacular at all. The songs were pretty forgetable. (Let It Go is catchy but its nothing groundbreaking like people seem to make it to be.)

I hate the animation for it. Looking at the production sketches it would have been so much better hand drawn. I also hate that Disney cannot seem to distinguish its female characters anymore.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to Disney for making Frozen being No. 1 in Japan's home video charts. That said, I have no plans of watching it anytime soon, as I think there just isn't anything spectacular within the show that would raise my interest for it, aside from computer-graphic animation not being my strong suit.

That's all I have to say here.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
TheAnagelic1 wrote:
And here comes all the Frozen doujin that a fraction of those 2 mill plus will create....

Where? I haven't seen any indication that Frozen doujins are being made, at least not anything 18+.

If Frozen was going to get doujins, it'd already have them, but it doesn't. That indicates Frozen is popular with the general audience, more likely parents who buy it to show their little kids, not anime fans. Especially not any of the hundreds of thousands more hardcore ones that go to Comiket.

Ghibli also has an inverse amount of that kind of stuff compared to how popular it is. Ghibli is often lumped in with anime in America, but in Japan there's little overlap between the markets.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
I hate the animation for it. Looking at the production sketches it would have been so much better hand drawn.

Not going to happen though. Disney tried going back to 2-D animation with The Princess and the Frog and got trounced at the box office. Children prefer 3-D CGI.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It flat-out resonated with the Japanese like a Studio Ghibli animated film would.

Just be happy for the Japanese people.

Or like Titanic resonated, for a more precise analogy of a simplistic foreign film breaking box office records.

enurtsol wrote:
Just remember that when your favorite anime gets the annual sales awards.

Last time was Spirited Away in 2001 though.

enurtsol wrote:
Exactly. Some people don't understand why middle-aged adults would watch TV series after TV series about teenagers all day. Smile

Most anime fans over the age of 30 don't watch kodomo manga adaptations. And Disney movies are kodomo movies.

And teenager stuff can be interesting for adults since the degree of complexity is similar, the usual difference is that teenager anime tends to be more aggressive and juvenile/immature in terms of sensibilities. Children's stuff is intentionally dumbed down by the authors in order to make it "accessible" to what they perceive as underdeveloped children's minds. Disney' animated films are like that most of the time: they show contempt for the intellect of their audience and I don't find them interesting overall and I don't understand why adults like them, to me it's like watching Teletubbies. In hollywood terms, the equivalent to shounen/shoujo anime would be movies like Star Wars/Hunger Games, many of these Disney films are equivalent to kodomo manga instead. I can understand how an adult might like watching Star Wars or Dragonball but Disney is a bit harder for me to grasp.

enurtsol wrote:
Only 9 foreign films have ever been nominated for Oscars Best Picture, and The Artist, a 2011 French film, won Best Picture just a couple years ago. Japan awards don't even acknowledge foreign films.

I think it's better to not acknowledge foreign films than to sometimes do. Because when you do you are implicitly saying that almost the totality of the world's movies which are good enough to be nominated for an Oscar are made locally. When you only nominate local films you are implicitly saying that it's a prize given to local films. While it might appear to be more insular it also shows that it's a prize for local productions only. If once every a hundred prizes you give the prize to a foreign production you are saying: all the world's movies outside of my little local industry are garbage with a few exceptions. Hence I find it insulting to the rest of the world.

[EDIT: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
I can understand how an adult might like watching Star Wars or Dragonball but Disney is a bit harder for me to grasp.

For me its because I like animation and Disney films are by and large beautiul to look at (I don't like the 3D as much, but some have been ok). Also something being 'for children' doesnt mean its bad. I personally think a lot of the otaku-orientated anime are far more juvenile than any kodomo or disney thing, anyway. (If one says 'I cant understand how anyone other than children can like disney', one may as well say 'I cant understand how anyone other than a little sister fetishist can like something like OreImo'.)
Sometimes I like when a movie makes me feel like a kid again, sometimes I like when a movie is beautiful, sometimes I just like it when the characters are fun and the songs memorable. Frozen just didn't have any of that to me, its got nothing to do with how childish I perceived it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
And me, I am a fan of western animation--and all animation, for that matter--in general. (Note that I always have an avatar depicting a character from western animation.) What frustrates me more than anything else when it comes to animation is the need to divide content between "for children" and "for everyone else," as if children are dumb and can't handle complex storytelling.

That being said, a story needs not be complex to be compelling. This has long been Disney's and Pixar's approach: They are simple and straightforward, but they are carefully crafted in every process of their production that they resonate emotionally with a large amount of the moviegoing crowds all over the world. I can enjoy the themes of Cold War paranoia the level of government control in The Iron Giant, but I can also enjoy Ratatouille even though its themes are spelled out directly to the viewer (and both were written by Brad Bird).

To me, Tangled and Frozen both play out like classic Disney princess movies. They are full of heart and passion, and while Frozen in particular is simple, it is innocently simple. While it is far from the best Disney movie ever made in my opinion, and its sheer popularity baffles me too, I would say it's still a very good movie. It did what it wanted to do.

Now, Saludos Amigos--THAT is a Disney film devoid of heart and passion.

(One last note: Most of the western animation I consume is actually TV shows. On the topic of Disney, one of the co-creators of Phineas and Ferb stated that the show is aimed at everyone but does not exclude children. Shows like these and Adventure Time demonstrate that content does not need to be dumbed down to make it accessible for children--doing so would be an insult to them, and they can identify bad storytelling just as well as adults can. It's why Sesame Street has had such enduring success: The people who write the skits make sure they also find them funny.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Just remember that when your favorite anime gets the annual sales awards.

Last time was Spirited Away in 2001 though.

Off the top of the head:

Top-Selling Blu-ray Discs in Japan: 2013 - Evangelion: 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo

Top-Selling Blu-ray Discs in Japan: 2012 - Mobile Suit Gundam UC 5

Jose Cruz wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Exactly. Some people don't understand why middle-aged adults would watch TV series after TV series about teenagers all day. Smile

Most anime fans over the age of 30 don't watch kodomo manga adaptations.

You might wanna check up on that.
Heck in Japan, the hot stuff right now is Youkai Watch (not manga but definitely kodomo).

Jose Cruz wrote:

And Disney movies are kodomo movies.

It's fairy tales (modern fairy tales, not Grimm), like the Tale of Princess Kaguya.
Many people like fairy tales.

Point is, careful of your use of retarded, because to many people, middle-aged adults watching TV series after TV series about teenagers all day is seen as arrested development. Think about that when someone watches nothing but the old CW channel.

Jose Cruz wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Only 9 foreign films have ever been nominated for Oscars Best Picture, and The Artist, a 2011 French film, won Best Picture just a couple years ago. Japan awards don't even acknowledge foreign films.

I think it's better to not acknowledge foreign films than to sometimes do. Because when you do you are implicitly saying that almost the totality of the world's movies which are good enough to be nominated for an Oscar are made locally. When you only nominate local films you are implicitly saying that it's a prize given to local films. While it might appear to be more insular it also shows that it's a prize for local productions only. If once every a hundred prizes you give the prize to a foreign production you are saying: all the world's movies outside of my little local industry are garbage with a few exceptions. Hence I find it insulting to the rest of the world.

Tell that to the countries who cry bloody foul whenever the Oscars ignore them. Happens every year.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Tell that to the countries who cry bloody foul whenever the Oscars ignore them. Happens every year.

Well aside from British films, I will agree that the oscars don't give foreign films that much recognition (well best foreign films section of the Academy is less significant). That's why I lose faith in the Oscars (Academy Awards).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Academy Awards want ratings, so they're not going to stuff the nominations with foreign films Joe Murrica from Nebraska has never heard of. They want bankable A-listers attending the ceremony because we tune in for them.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Academy Awards want ratings, so they're not going to stuff the nominations with foreign films Joe Murrica from Nebraska has never heard of. They want bankable A-listers attending the ceremony because we tune in for them.

You don't think I know that. That's why I already stated that I lose faith with the Academy/Oscars.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4