• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Arrietty Film Trailer with U.K. Dub Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

BorgmanJayce wrote:

I actually feel sorry for the American Ghibli fans who will probably end up importing the British BD/DVD release if the US dub sucks ass.

What makes ya think that? Have the past US Ghibli dubs suck ass? The past US Ghibli dubs have been using Disney Channel VAs, and none of 'em have failed yet.

Ya guys should stop pretending that Ghibli films are not for the mass market - they are. Confused

Please kindly don't accuse me of being a Ghibli snob.

Well, you were pretending pretty good. Laughing
Apologies nonetheless.

BorgmanJayce wrote:

I actually like the previous Disney dubs, to be honest, especially "The Cat Returns"! (In fact I actually asked Cary Elwes who played "The Baron" in the Disney dub when he was at Collectormania in London last year if he ever got the chance to work on any more Disney Ghibli dubs, would he do so, and he said that if he got the chance he would definitely be interested in working on one again! I definitely could have seen him as Arrietty's dad in the Disney dub if he had been asked to do so)

Ha! We got Cary Elwes autograph since The Princess Bride! Laughing

BorgmanJayce wrote:

And FYI, I know that Ghibli movies ARE for the mass-market, I'm just concerned at the fact that with the US dub, rather than have well-known actors and actresses for their dub as with previous ones, they've decided to go with relative unknowns, although Will Arnett is vaguely familar to me...

Bridgit Mendler is quite well-known (or at least by face --that's how I recalled her the first time the dub cast was announced-- even if not by name) among the Disney crowd, which is followed by millions more people than do anime (especially tween-teenage girls, which Miyazaki particularly targets - why do ya think his main protagonists are usually tween/teen girls). And she's also on a music group now called Lemonade Mouth, which gets plenty playtime on Disney and teen radios (kinda like how the Jonas Brothers got so popular at their peak). Don't discount how far Disney's mass-marketing reach can go. Laughing
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

BorgmanJayce wrote:

I actually feel sorry for the American Ghibli fans who will probably end up importing the British BD/DVD release if the US dub sucks ass.

What makes ya think that? Have the past US Ghibli dubs suck ass? The past US Ghibli dubs have been using Disney Channel VAs, and none of 'em have failed yet.

Ya guys should stop pretending that Ghibli films are not for the mass market - they are. Confused

Please kindly don't accuse me of being a Ghibli snob.

Well, you were pretending pretty good. Laughing
Apologies nonetheless.

BorgmanJayce wrote:

I actually like the previous Disney dubs, to be honest, especially "The Cat Returns"! (In fact I actually asked Cary Elwes who played "The Baron" in the Disney dub when he was at Collectormania in London last year if he ever got the chance to work on any more Disney Ghibli dubs, would he do so, and he said that if he got the chance he would definitely be interested in working on one again! I definitely could have seen him as Arrietty's dad in the Disney dub if he had been asked to do so)

Ha! We got Cary Elwes autograph since The Princess Bride! Laughing

BorgmanJayce wrote:

And FYI, I know that Ghibli movies ARE for the mass-market, I'm just concerned at the fact that with the US dub, rather than have well-known actors and actresses for their dub as with previous ones, they've decided to go with relative unknowns, although Will Arnett is vaguely familar to me...

Bridgit Mendler is quite well-known (or at least by face --that's how I recalled her the first time the dub cast was announced-- even if not by name) among the Disney crowd, which is followed by millions more people than do anime (especially tween-teenage girls, which Miyazaki particularly targets - why do ya think his main protagonists are usually tween/teen girls). And she's also on a music group now called Lemonade Mouth, which gets plenty playtime on Disney and teen radios (kinda like how the Jonas Brothers got so popular at their peak). Don't discount how far Disney's mass-marketing reach can go. Laughing

I think I can understand where you're coming from in a way in why Disney are using certain people in this dub, but at the same time, it might not work in other countries which would probably show the US dub rather the UK one; especially the likes of South Africa and Australia where they're probably not as well known as the likes of those who starred in the previous dubs.

Also, over here, the Borrowers is a well-known and beloved novel which is probably another reason why Optimum decided to do their own dub rather than wait till next year.

(As for Cary Elwes, he signed my copy of "Men in Tights" on DVD and he was actually a really friendly guy and we chatted for a couple of minutes about his movies)

PS: Apology accepted. Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:

I think I can understand where you're coming from in a way in why Disney are using certain people in this dub, but at the same time, it might not work in other countries which would probably show the US dub rather the UK one; especially the likes of South Africa and Australia where they're probably not as well known as the likes of those who starred in the previous dubs.

That I actually agree. That's why I was intrigued that a separate UK dub is being made.
It makes sense in the US, but the UK dub makes more sense in Queen's lands.

BorgmanJayce wrote:

Also, over here, the Borrowers is a well-known and beloved novel which is probably another reason why Optimum decided to do their own dub rather than wait till next year.

Heck, I wanted the Japanese to use British accents! Laughing

BorgmanJayce wrote:

(As for Cary Elwes, he signed my copy of "Men in Tights" on DVD and he was actually a really friendly guy and we chatted for a couple of minutes about his movies)

PS: Apology accepted. Very Happy

Hey, no prob. (Didn't know he still lived there.)
mudduck454

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
would love to have a tri-audio of this one, with the original japanese, and both english dubs.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
This is more of a job for Anipages, but anyone remember this 80s cartoon where there was a whole bunch of mice and one of 'em drove a a car and wore an outfit which looked like Bat from Fist of the North Star? 'Cus that's what Arriety reminds me of.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
I had the same thought.

Looking at whom they cast in the US dub, it looks like they're aggressively targeting the witless tween audience in North America: the very same who lap up the mindless live-action dramedy (Drama + Comedy = Dramedy) drivel Disney regurgitates.

Which leads me to believe the US dub is for them, while the UK dub is for everyone else, i.e. anyone who isn't a mindless tween.

Um...... that's the same audience that Miyazaki targets in Japan!
What, ya think Miyazaki primarily targets animation connoisseurs?!
Lemme guess, ya hate kids, doncha? Laughing

Hate kids? Only when they're on my lawn or meddling -with their great dane- in my attempts to haunt the abandoned sawmill in a ghost pirate costume, leaving me free to dig up the Aztec gold buried there in.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
This English dub sounds fine to me. So why does Disney need to localize this? It seems to me they could cut costs with just licensing this dub, and then we would get it sooner. How much localization is needed in an English to English translation? ...and because of it the U.S. gets it later.

By the time the Disney version is on the shelves, everyone will have pirated the British version. Disney should know better. *facepalm*
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
would love to have a tri-audio of this one, with the original japanese, and both english dubs.

But would you be willing to spend several extra dollars for another track altogether? Because just having a English dub makes the DVD slightly more expensive, having an additional dub would likely raise the overal price of the DVD and might turn off some fans.

It might not raise the price, but tri-audio versons of anime are seldom very cheap.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Quote:
2) What accent is Ronan using there?

An English accent?

I figured, but which?
GhostShell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I like what I hear so far in regards to the U.K. dub. For this particular title, I wouldn't hesitate to import it, as opposed to picking up the U.S. dub version. However, the reason mainly is because of the way it looks and the origin of the source material. I have many Disney-released Ghibli titles and have quite enjoyed listening to the various VAs that were used, whether from the U.S. or living in the U.S. (Patrick Stewart comes to mind). Disney has generally put out decent quality products. I'm also willing to give the U.S. dub version a fair chance and it would be interesting to compare the two.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:06 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
This English dub sounds fine to me. So why does Disney need to localize this? It seems to me they could cut costs with just licensing this dub, and then we would get it sooner.

Maybe it's the Brits who particularly requested this, given that it's based on a popular British book.

Obviously, Disney wants to make one that would sell more in America, especially if they'll run it in theaters.

tuxedocat wrote:

By the time the Disney version is on the shelves, everyone will have pirated the British version. Disney should know better. *facepalm*

Disney mainly sells to families, mom and pop with kids, in the hundred-thousands or even millions of copies. I don't think Disney is worried too much about otakus who'd pirate it (and many of those otakus would buy it anyways, given their respect to Miyazaki).

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:

But would you be willing to spend several extra dollars for another track altogether? Because just having a English dub makes the DVD slightly more expensive, having an additional dub would likely raise the overal price of the DVD and might turn off some fans.

Maybe not the DVD, given the DVD's spec limitations. But as an extra incentive for the Blu-ray, it should be worth it.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
They ought to put both dubs on the blu-ray. Though I guess that means Disney will have to pay more money for the rights... so it's unlikely...

I'd personally prefer the British accents! Do the UK and US blu-rays share the same region?
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:

It might not raise the price, but tri-audio versons of anime are seldom very cheap.

Disney's Porco Rosso included the Jean Reno french track on the DVD along with the english and japanese. So it's not out of the realm of possibility. But as most here said, I just can't see Disney seeing the reasoning of putting two differemt english tracks on the home format just for the more picky people.

Also, Bandai's GITS 2 Innocence was tri-audio and the DVD is very cheap. Or at least it was when i bought it a few weeks ago. Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling Disney's target audience in this would understand the live action version better than this one.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:

Confused

How would that affect quality? As long as they can act, who cares how well known they are?

And Amy Poehler is quite known. She's a comedienne, but comediennes have actually done quite well with Ghibli. Status wise she's like Tina Fey when she was on SNL--not yet famous, but reasonably known on TV. Heck, she was even in a movie with Tina Fey! (Not a good one, but alas...)

I see the desire to have the UK dub since this story is of UK origins, but to basically torpedoe the U.S. dub as already being crap is ridiculous, since Disney really has never done a truly bad Ghibli dub. (I'm nitpicky on some, though).

To me, casting celebrities never really was a big deal. To say that all big name actors cannot voice act also sounds like a generalization to me. As far as the Disney Ghibli dubs go, I am of the very opinion that none of them are bad in any way. There may be some that are better than others and not every vocal choice is perfect, but to say that the voice actors have done a bad job on them is just not very fair.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2