• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Metropolitan Area to Establish "English Village"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Well that and Japanese students are not interesting in studying abroad as I mentioned. Even if there are couple that did studied abroad, corporations and firms back at home wouldn't hire them. So that seem to reinforce Japan's Galapagos syndrome. It's really unfortunate.

I just saw your previous post linking those articles. At least that explains a few things about this gradual disinterest in English.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Well that and Japanese students are not interesting in studying abroad as I mentioned. Even if there are couple that did studied abroad, corporations and firms back at home wouldn't hire them. So that seem to reinforce Japan's Galapagos syndrome. It's really unfortunate.

I just saw your previous post linking those articles. At least that explains a few things about this gradual disinterest in English.

Yes I do believe that could be one of the factor. I've also been observing Japan attitude to foreigners and the way most Japanese restaurants, and other stores are putting up signs forbidding foreigners to enter them, it seem to indicate that Japan is not willing to "internationalize", and that xenophobic atmosphere seem to be effecting the Japanese youth to not "think outside the box" (as in studying abroad). It's like Japan's modern day equivalent of Sakoku.

EDIT: I decided to withdraw that statement about how most Japanese restaurants and facilities put up "no foreigner" signs since I can't back it up with recent evidence, so it would be considered a blanket statement and countless debate, so hence the strike.

Last edited by mdo7 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
If Japan creates an 'English village', it will be seen as a farce, if Japan doesn't try to reach out to foreigners, they will be seen as unfit to host the Olympic Games.

I'm very impressed by how all of you are listing reasons why this *is certainly going to fail*, but what the hell do you expect Japan to do?

Have any of you who complained and moaned about Japanese not having the right attitude towards English, made any suggestions of how to change that attitude?

No! None of you did. So stop your damn pessimistic judging long enough to see what will actually happen in the future. At least the Japanese are trying and not entirely ignoring foreigners.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
The point is that they don't have to create an "English Village." That there is any serious considerations for it displays their lack of knowledge about how to make foreigners feel welcome and is potentially insulting and condescending.

Japan has hosted the Olympics before and never had to set up any internationally-themed districts.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:

I'm very impressed by how all of you are listing reasons why this *is certainly going to fail*, but what the hell do you expect Japan to do?

Have any of you who complained and moaned about Japanese not having the right attitude towards English, made any suggestions of how to change that attitude?

No! None of you did. So stop your damn pessimistic judging long enough to see what will actually happen in the future. At least the Japanese are trying and not entirely ignoring foreigners.

If you read my previous post about how Japanese students are not studying abroad, then you see why many people on ANN commenting this "English village" is not going to do well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greboruri

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I've also been observing Japan attitude to foreigners and the way most Japanese restaurants, and other stores are putting up signs forbidding foreigners to enter them

Personally I've never had any problems entering any restaurant in Japan while I was over there, even in small towns. Ditto for every shop I entered. I also found that most Japanese people I've come across, those in service industries and the general public, are quite friendly and helpful, if a little cautious. Thousands of other visitors and residents probably have had the same experience as myself.

I know xenophobia does exist there and people have had bad experiences and have been discriminated because of their race, but to suggest that "most Japanese restaurants, and other stores are putting up signs forbidding foreigners to enter them" is utter, utter bullshit. Unless the country has changed massively in the last two years I have visited, that statement is nonsense. mdo7, please provide evidence for your extraordinary statement. And I don't mean one or two random signs. I want actual proof that most Japanese restaurants and stores have these signs up.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
@AwaysAnnoyed

I have to side with mdo7 [and others] on this. Until there are native Japanese that are really serious in grasping the English language, English projects like the English Village are destined to have little to no effect from their efforts of reaching out to foreigners.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:

I know xenophobia does exist there and people have had bad experiences and have been discriminated because of their race, but to suggest that "most Japanese restaurants, and other stores are putting up signs forbidding foreigners to enter them" is utter, utter bullshit. Unless the country has changed massively in the last two years I have visited, that statement is nonsense. mdo7, please provide evidence for your extraordinary statement. And I don't mean one or two random signs. I want actual proof that most Japanese restaurants and stores have these signs up.

I got these from Debito just not long ago (dated Nov 25, 2014), and this was taken from Hiroshima, these are nightclub showing off "Japanese only" sign. Have you been to Hiroshima recently BTW?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
@Greboruri

I was in Japan earlier this year with the family and never experienced any of this xenophobia mdo7 keeps insisting is everywhere. I have to wonder if he's ever actually been to Japan.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I got these from Debito just not long ago (dated Nov 25, 2014), and this was taken from Hiroshima, these are nightclub showing off "Japanese only" sign. Have you been to Hiroshima recently BTW?

Going in March, but are you seriously suggesting Hiroshima is different to the rest of Japan? The links only show a handful of mainly bars, clubs and onsen over a 12 year period. Literally a handful. Most are extremely obscure bars, clubs and the occasional restaurant which most tourists and residents would never come across.

This is NOT evidence that "most Japanese restaurants, and other stores are putting up signs forbidding foreigners to enter them". I explicitly asked for evidence, not random signs, but you gave me random signs. The signs are in stark contrast to my own personal experiences there. At this point I'm going to assume you've never been to Japan.

I note that website you linked to seems to be run by white middle class men who probably haven't experienced a single second of discrimination until they saw a crude "Japanese Only" sign on a dingy, half arsed pool hall next to a convenience store and were enraged they were being discriminated against. A lot of the stories accompanying the pictures also seem to indicate that the management only put them up after rude and obnoxious behaviour by one or more foreigners. While I don't agree at all with what these businesses did, a fair wack of foreign visitors and those working temporarily there think they can get away with murder because they're foreign, which is pretty poor form. A little respect and understanding for local customs goes a long way.

Edit: Just realised that website is the work of serial complainer Debito Arudou. If he hates the place so bloody much, why doesn't he go home?
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:

Edit: Just realised that website is the work of serial complainer Debito Arudou. If he hates the place so bloody much, why doesn't he go home?

Well, he was the one that brought up discrimination in Japan since he lived in Japan, he's the only one that was able to shed some spotlight on discrimination in Japan. If it wasn't for him, then discrimination in Japan would've more widespread. At least he's helping, I don't expect him to leave Japan anytime soon.

Oh and one more thing, he gave up his US citizenship to become a Japanese citizen so he can stay and combat and bring awareness of discrimination in Japan.

I wish Zac and Justin could interview Debito on ANNcast, that would be something I like to hear.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Well, he was the one that brought up discrimination in Japan since he lived in Japan, he's the only one that was able to shed some spotlight on discrimination in Japan. If it wasn't for him, then discrimination in Japan would've more widespread. At least he's helping, I don't expect him to leave Japan anytime soon.

Wow, he got rid of some obscure book, embarrassed a handful of obscure businesses and continually complains about the country. What a top bloke.

mdo7 wrote:
Oh and one more thing, he gave up his US citizenship to become a Japanese citizen so he can stay and combat and bring awareness of discrimination in Japan.

What a bloody hero. He's the modern day Rosa Parks. Nelson Mandela's got nothing on him.

mdo7 wrote:
I wish Zac and Justin could interview Debito on ANNcast, that would be something I like to hear.

Yes, an hour long awkward interview with some right wing loon sounds like so much fun.

Edit: Hey mdo7, how's that evidence coming along for the your claim that "most Japanese restaurants, and other stores are putting up signs forbidding foreigners to enter them"?
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Wow, he got rid of some obscure book, embarrassed a handful of obscure businesses and continually complains about the country. What a top bloke.

mdo7 wrote:

What a bloody hero. He's the modern day Rosa Parks. Nelson Mandela's got nothing on him.

mdo7 wrote:

Yes, an hour long awkward interview with some right wing loon sounds like so much fun.

Dude, what's your problem? I mean yeah you never seen discrimination in Japan, but that doesn't mean it's eliminated completely (I'm sure there's discrimination in your country). But it's there and it's really rampart, maybe you should read this, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more cases like this. Maybe you should also read this and I'll quote:

ANN wrote:
Aoki: Japan has a large manga industry, with a lot of homegrown talent. Have you run into any problems?

Cummings: I talk to these people on the phone, but when we meet, they get this look of shock, of "you're a big white dude. How did this happen." I've had people ask me, "Which parent was in the Marines?"… I've had meetings where we talked for hours and it was going great, but then they'd say, "It's a shame we can't hire you because you're a foreigner."

One more thing: this is getting off topic, this is about Japan's English village not racism in Japan. If you want to talk about racism in Japan, do it over the PM.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Dude, what's your problem? I mean yeah you never seen discrimination in Japan, but that doesn't mean it's eliminated completely (I'm sure there's discrimination in your country).

I wrote several times that there was discrimination in Japan. That can't be disputed. The problem was your claim that "most Japanese restaurants, and other stores are putting up signs forbidding foreigners to enter them" was so utterly strange, stupid and completely untrue I felt to really had to be corrected. Bafflingly, even now you seems to take the word of a lone, bitter ex-pat American over the hundreds of thousands of people who visit the country every year, whom close to 100% have no issue entering ANY restaurant or shop of their choosing.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:

I wrote several times that there was discrimination in Japan. That can't be disputed. The problem was your claim that "most Japanese restaurants, and other stores are putting up signs forbidding foreigners to enter them" was so utterly strange, stupid and completely untrue I felt to really had to be corrected. Bafflingly, even now you seems to take the word of a lone, bitter ex-pat American over the hundreds of thousands of people who visit the country every year, whom close to 100% have no issue entering ANY restaurant or shop of their choosing.

I wish I could find recent pictures but I can't because the pictures are outdated or foreigners are getting tired of posting these pictures up and people outside of Japan are already saying "OK we get it, Japan has racism problem". But I wouldn't be surprised there maybe more of those, but it's also possible that Japanese business are no longer putting those up (who knows). I only heard from expats living in Japan recently that had issues with Japanese restaurants/businesses with these "no foreigner allowed" signs. Is it possible Japanese resturants/businesses are taking foreigners more seriously, it's possible. But I don't know how rampart the "no foreigners allowed" signs are in Japan, but racism and discrimination exist in Japan and it's rampart.

However, I'll withdraw that statement about most Japanese forbidding foreigners in restaurants to make you happy and since I can't provide pictures nor recent evidence (other then Debito) that confirm what I said, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's sign like those in Japan. I do have plan to go to Japan, if I do see signs forbidding foreigners, I'll gladly take pictures and send it to you via PM.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5