• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Parade (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExcelMadoka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I had a random question. In the most recent two episodes, (episodes 8 and 9), I noticed something or perhaps I may have overlooked something. IN the other previous episodes, you're given the story as to how the pair died, right? If that is so, how did the younger male (who was the killer of the detective who watched as his sister was raped and beaten) die? Maybe I overlooked something.

Removed the quote. Saw no need for it. --willag
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
The stalker spoiler[stabbed Shimada before Shimada killed him, so he likely bled out]
ExcelMadoka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Ah! I thought I overlooked something. Thanks!
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Some of Decim's background.
He was always a weird one..
Decim said some big words!
Time to judge the black-haired girl...
Old main card game was to seal their fate.
That old lady was interesting.
So the black-haired girl's name is Chiyuki.. was about time that came out!
Still... all that didn't help to bring forth more of her memories.
Last two episodes should be very interesting!]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

That was spoiler[heartwarming! Well imo, it's also interesting to..see that Decim is beginning to question his role as an arbiter. Unlike the previous episodes, this one really had a lighthearted mood. The game was chill and I like how the old lady was able to reflect more of her past and didn't regret her life at this point; even in the after life.]

Nice. I want to see what they will do with Decim soon though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
A game with a significant difference this week, since Decim spoiler[decided to forego the usual life-or-death pressure and opted simply to let the game play out while letting the players talk about themselves. ]

Nona said she spoiler[sent a special guest to Decim for the purpose of judging Chiyuki, it seems this week's guest is the complete opposite to last week's in that she lacked a paired contestant and lived a full life with no regrets or sins. ] With guests like these, the outcome wouldn't be a surprise but Nona patently has something up her sleeve.

Now that Oculus spoiler[has caught on to Nona's little secret, both Nona and Decim are in some trouble. The signs are all there whereby the two overstaying guests will likely have to play off against each other. ]

We have now seen 7 out of the 9 games available for guests to choose from, will the series throw viewers a bone and complete the set? Or will that wait for a possible OVA?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

This was interesting. Imo, spoiler[it is somewhat late to focus on Onna but I'm glad we learn more about her including her skill and passion for ice skating (she did quite well too!) And with that, we only have 1 more episode left of this thrilling psychological ride.]

Overall good episode although I am somewhat surprised by spoiler[Ginti] at the end...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Some things got explained again.
Chiyuki's time has come..
Seems like the usual approach won't work with her.
Looks like she managed to pull some spoiler[emotions from Decim.
Seems like she was a ballerina.
That career went down the drain & so did her life..]

Can't wait to see what final episode is gonna look like!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I want the soundtrack, the scene with spoiler[Chiyuki skating and the full Chavvot theme on the piano as she runs through her life's memories is for me one of the most memorable of the series. ]

I had thought spoiler[Chiyuki and Mayu were going to face off against each other, but Ginti's method of "evicting" the overstaying guests surprised me since he struck me as the type to devise something more sadistic to get Mayu to show her dark side. Still, it's an effective tactic and he got enough out of her decision to send them both on. I think Mayu and Harada getting into the lift together with the connection they shared would be more the exception than the rule in souls intertwining in the void. ]

With this episode, lots of little details in the OP animation are much clearer than before. In some ways, the OP was a spoiler for things to come but I'd be surprised if people saw them coming from the start.

One thing that always amazes me is how spoiler[well-equipped Decim's bar is for his guests. I'm not sure "skating rink" is covered in any of the games the arbiters have to oversee. ]
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Hot damn, with each episode this series just keeps topping itself. The entire first half with Chiyuki figure skating brought me to tears. The soundtrack, the visuals, Chiyuki's backstory were all gorgeous. The second half also delivered a powerful punch with Mayu and Harada, and then the gentle understanding between Decim and Chiyuki.

@Harleyquin - My impression is that spoiler[Mayu chose to enter the elevator, not so much that Ginti made a judgment (though it might be a combination of both). She wasn't willing to force someone to switch with Harada, but neither did she want Harada to have to stay in the Void by himself. So she devoted herself to an eternity in the Void with him.]

Now, what I found very interesting was that spoiler[Harada, for just a moment, did return to his doll body, which makes me think that it is possible for souls to return from the Void. That's assuming that Ginti wasn't lying about sending Harada to the Void in the first place and his soul was lying dormant within his body. Maybe it's only possible to retrieve recent victims sent to the Void.]

As for the next episode, I'm thinking that spoiler[Decim will enter the Void with Chiyuki? I'm uncertain what he could gain from such a move. A chance to speak with those he judged?]

I'm really looking forward to next week's episode.

---

EDIT: After a rewatch, I guess she did press the button. The way she looked at her hand, her discussion with Ginti, and her surprise on the elevator is leaning towards that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Was that spoiler[Light Yagami]? It kind of reminds me of something from that series (spoiler[Death Note]) where it was said that spoiler[people get sent to the void]. It is kind of ironic as spoiler[Harada's] voice actor also voiced spoiler[Light]. I wonder if she was spoiler[tricked into trying to sacrifice someone and thus she got sent to the void], or he was spoiler[somehow being nice in letting their souls combine].

And I will echo others thoughts on how well done the spoiler[skating] scene was.
Speevesx101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
God I love this anime!

I'm really upset that I'm going to have to say goodbye to one of the best anime I've seen in a long time.....

Now to the episode, I was pretty disappointed by the fact that the writers decided to make Chiyuki's story be a suicide.....I was hoping that her fate was going to be more "interesting' then that, It was just SOO predictable. But oh well. And then on top of that Ginti sent mayu and harada to the void? are they trying to kill their audience with feels? Because if so its working......Have a good day anime community
Misibe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I have been impressed with this series from the start, and this episode was no exception. The only disappointment, to me, was spoiler[Chiyuki's rather cliché backstory, with the career ending injury/suicide combo.]
I'm really excited for tomorrow's episode. It'll be really interesting to see how it all comes together.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale):
Well, I liked the amount of spoiler[sympathy Decim seems to show as well as it shows a contrast to his usual stoic personality. I also felt bad for Chiyaki and her fate after seeing more of her background including family. Her family shows a lot of grief and that's an example of what human emotion is like. The feels of this episode/finale hit hard Anime cry]

Overall, a pretty solid show by Madhouse. A few episodes had some pacing problems imo but most of it was still thrilling with the amount of themes explored into what I see this as a compelling human drama. Rating it as Excellent.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Chiyuki doing some re-living.]
Well, at least now she knows her situation.
The spoiler[new experience made her regret her choice.
Decim felt Chiyuki's pain]
. No way!
Finally some emotions.
That was a sad goodbye..
Nice final episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8