• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streaming Service Down Amid DDoS Attack

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Momokochan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
wtf crunchyroll is such a random site to DDoS. why would they do that?
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
Can't believe I missed this! Just didn't have the time to watch Yona today yet...

So does this mean Crunchyroll really hit the big time? First ads on TV and now this!
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Can't believe I missed this! Just didn't have the time to watch Yona today yet...

So does this mean Crunchyroll really hit the big time? First ads on TV and now this!

There was no new episode today. Also, no Majin Bone either and Trinity Seven ended so nothing was streamed on CR today.

Looks like I missed nothing pretty much except without access to their forums or news.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I think like a lot of series that doesn't have a new ep this week because of new years stuff.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
#829750 wrote:
Weazul-chan wrote:

I remember waiting a good year to get the second half of something I was watching back in the day because of the speed of the fansubs AND the minimum tape requirements for the distros I used.

Shocked Shocked Shocked I think I would have gotten very very frustrated.

I lived in a small city pre-2006. I didn't have access to a distributor and none of my local stores carried anime. None, Nada, zip.
Internet was the only possible way to watch things. Though I didn't really watch much on the internet until i found fan subs on youtube in like mid 2007.
it was frustrating finding distros back in the day. I found a few off of Anime Web Turnpike back in the day that took money orders back in the day so I was okay as far as that went. altho until I got my first job back in the '98/'99 holiday season it was all bought with scrounge money. I had no bank account at the time and my dad wasn't gonna go letting me give him money and then have him write a check for the stuff so finding one that took money orders was a necessity, not all did that.

and the Musicland (later a Sam Goody) in town had a small section of anime (which grew eventually, before it went under when we finally got a Best Buy) and the local Blockbuster had a couple shelves of animated stuff, some of it was stuff like Watership Down, Wizards, and so on that was western animation but PG-13 or higher, but some of it was anime. I think being less than 25 minutes away from what use to be the biggest anime convention in the state kind of helped a bit even if the city I live in is kind of small (until Youmacon started in Detroit the free to attend JAFAX, about 23 minutes away, was the largest by a longshot in Michigan, but I've had bad experiences at Youmacon so I'd still say JAFAX is better, but I've heard good things about Shutocon tho).

but, yeah, VHS fansub wait times could be TERRIBLE. and finding a distro could be a pain in the ass, especially if you wanted some rarer stuff (a lot of the distros with webpages were mostly easy to find stuff, and if you wanted something a bit more obscure you'd have to hunt for it, like I never found the fansub of Windaria until after someone digitized it, and I wanted to see how different the Japanese version was from the English dub, which I knew had been edited and altered somewhat, just not how much). at least typically the internet made finding them a little easier, even if you had to try using several search engines to find them since we didn't have google yet.

at least all the waiting and frustration I went thru back in the day means a little frustration like this mess with CR getting DDoSed pretty much nothing.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

There was no new episode today. Also, no Majin Bone either and Trinity Seven ended so nothing was streamed on CR today.

Looks like I missed nothing pretty much except without access to their forums or news.

Funi posted on Twitter that they had a new ep of Yona up, so I thought CR did, too. But Funi's a week or two behind CR, so I guess they just used this week to catch up.

As for what we missed, Crunchyroll is losing the rights to a few shows today, including the first season of Encouragement of Climb and Pupa. I was hoping to catch them both before they went offline Sad

Back in the day...maybe it's because I grew up religious, but I've always felt super guilty about "stealing" my media (music, movies, etc). That's not to say that I didn't use torrent sites or even that I don't occasionally use them today, but that I felt super guilty about it. I remember once breaking and throwing out a whole bunch of CD-RWs (remember those?) full of anime--Inuyasha, Ranma, Haruhi...
I had RentAnime and Netflix mail service accounts at one point. I kind of miss those days of getting anime DVDs on the mail and then *having* to watch them if you wanted to get the next disc. It's too easy to put off older streaming shows without any sort of deadline-esque incentive.

I think we can all agree that anime streaming services have been the best way to combat piracy and any given individual's temptation to watch illegal content. Crunchyroll really paved the way to that end, and I hope they're not affected negatively by this attack.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
My subscription auto-renewal literally just went through yesterday, was my first day off from work in a while (worked Christmas Eve into Christmas Day, then of course had to do Christmas stuff on Christmas before going back to work the next day and working through the weekend). Was planning to use this day off to catch up on a bunch of stuff that I've fallen behind on all season, and now I can't even do that. All because some asinine fools with more time than sense thought, "Hey, let's go and cause other people problems so we can make ourselves feel better".
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
Hope this makes somebody's day: I'm a CR subscriber, and Crunchyroll seems be back online for me!
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
joelgundam00 wrote:
On a side note, Kotaku just posted a very informative article on how a DDOS Attack works. It's a very good read.

Nice read. Thanks for sharing.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
No, they are not, there is no real sense of urgency just like there was no intention in the USA to improve airport security (like they did in Europe DECADES before) prior to 9/11. Sadly you need to reach Fukushima like catastrophe levels for the big boss to get serious about paying for upgraded security.

Well, y'know, hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight from one's armchair is seemingly infallible. I have at least as much disdain for corporations as the average person, but I also think your average professional anything tends to know more about why that thing is harder than it sounds than a layperson does.

Anyway, looks like both Crunchyroll and my ever-unreliable internet are back up, so that's good I guess.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:13 am Reply with quote
Virgin Squad! Darn you and your Gum Gums!!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I had the impression that if Crunchyroll would suffer a direct attack like this, the motive behind it would've been because they're a legitimate anime distributor, and Crunchyroll, as an online-only entity, would be the one most affected by a DDoS attack.

To this day, I continue to encounter people, mostly offline, who seem to be big fans of fansubbing groups, and they quite strongly resent how anime and manga localization had really taken off from the late 90's and onwards. There are two main motivations for this: They don't like the way the anime and manga are adapted into English and REALLY don't like the way these adaptations displace their fansubbed versions; or the fansubbers they follow will stop translating a series they follow because an official English version will come out.

For instance, I recently tutored this kid who absolutely refuses to watch anime on Hulu, Netflix, or Crunchyroll, and in fact torrents all of his anime. When I asked why, even though all three have free subscriptions, he said it's because he can't stand watching the commercials. I'm guessing he's still too young to understand the idea of how money works, since he's at the age where he's unfamiliar with the concept of a paycheck, but you also would have a lot of teenagers and adults too immature to understand or too selfish to care, and it's these teenagers and/or adults whom I feel would be most likely to DDoS attack Crunchyroll: As revenge for killing off the fansubs they love so much, or perhaps as a small attack against the anime localization business they want wiped out.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote
By the way, did anyone hear if Crunchyroll streaming has become better this year?

I had to drop Crunchyroll last year because often times in 1080p mode their servers were painfully slow, and the video player was always buffering. I could not bear that disservice, I hated it with passion, and had to cancel my subscription.

However, if they finally upgraded their servers and it works as good as YouTube, then many like myself could return to them.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
AnimeTenchou wrote:

idk, it's been online here in the UK since I posted that it was, videos and all.

I see. At the time it must have been working in the UL, but not in the U.S. Well I just tried visiting today and it works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
Good news, I can access Crunchyroll again. Very Happy

I take it that they now resolved the DDOS issue. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11