• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streaming Service Down Amid DDoS Attack

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
why attack CR it supplies a very niche group of people and not a large as audience as Sony by any means. Also true hacking makes the world go around and no network from the military to the gov is safe no matter what measures they think they have in place. I mean unless your network literally never connects and or was built without the parts necessary some can hack it.

I have seen in the tech news where connections will not even be needed for future attacks.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm a subscriber. Is my info at risk?
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Was just thinking of finishing Akame ga Kill!. What a bummer. I guess for the time being I have to continue to lead the Inquisition. I don't think I'll be able to wait for the site to get back online though, AgK is too good. I guess I have to use plan B.

Azure-Wind91 wrote:

Unlikely if it's just a DDoS attack.
Hehaho1830

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Was just thinking of finishing Akame ga Kill!. What a bummer. I guess for the time being I have to continue to lead the Inquisition. I don't think I'll be able to wait for the site to get back online though, AgK is too good. I guess I have to use plan B.

Azure-Wind91 wrote:

Unlikely if it's just a DDoS attack.

unlikely If it's Just a DDoS attack.
Kreion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
why attack CR it supplies a very niche group of people and not a large as audience as Sony by any means. Also true hacking makes the world go around and no network from the military to the gov is safe no matter what measures they think they have in place. I mean unless your network literally never connects and or was built without the parts necessary some can hack it.

I have seen in the tech news where connections will not even be needed for future attacks.

I've seen Hearthstone streamers get Ddos'd before...no one is above the petty rage of babies with an internet connection.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how they're comparing the scale of the attacks. I would imagine that the PSN and X-Box networks are larger than CR's - there have to be more gamers than anime fans in the world and the bulk of CR's traffic is offloaded to CDNs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Shocked Jesus!!! (sorry if I'm offending any ANN forumites religion)

Judging from the original BBC article and this ANN article, it looks like the same group that took down PSN and Xbox Live is going after CR. I hope they don't go after other streaming websites like Dramafever.

and just a little FYI: I think these same group of hackers are trying to DDOS ANN too according to Tempest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
If they really want to take down ANN, they can. From what I know it is almost impossible to protect against DDoS attacks. I might be wrong though.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
CR is actually probably bigger than a lot of people seem to think it is. It was pushing what? 600000 subscribers not too long ago? And I'd bet that the nonsubscribers that use it are even more. It is the dominant platform for stuff like Naruto and Fairy Tale now.

That being said, nowhere near as big as XBL or PSN. I wonder if the guys who were going after ANN were the same guys. I wonder why target ANN? I suspect that we're not as big as a CR.

According to Tempest in the other thread it's apparently an extortion attempt. Probably the case for CR as well.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Hehaho1830 wrote:
Soooo, Why Crunchyroll?

Unlike years ago, they're completely legit now.
They're of the anime subculture (If you want to go that far).
to my knowledge, Crunchyroll members don't tend to have any weird political leanings.
Crunchyroll usually doesn't tend to steal show licenses from Funimation or hulu.

I want to say that it isn't due to it being in the anime biz.

However crunchyroll does show up next to names like Netflix and hulu (at least in the background), so if someone wanted to make a statement against streaming without making a huge statement It could be a possible choice (for them).

Most likely though, is just a group of bored Hackers doing it "Because it's there" (maybe to get people to go to their Illegal streaming sites?).

at least its happening when the Japanese TV Seasons change, so we have the fewest shows being affected...

Despite being legit now, they still do a lot of things that upset people and I personally have a grudge against them so I'll admit I laughed when I read this. If anyone deserves it that has had it this month, it's CR. Also they never got punished for being illegal but rather rewarded which i still find hilarious.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if money was the reason for these widespread Distributed Denial of Service attacks. I just find it astronomical that the perpetrator is doing all this simply for the fun of it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

That being said, nowhere near as big as XBL or PSN. I wonder if the guys who were going after ANN were the same guys. I wonder why target ANN? I suspect that we're not as big as a CR.

According to Tempest in the other thread it's apparently an extortion attempt. Probably the case for CR as well.

Maybe these group of hackers hate anime, maybe?? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so that must be why I get a "We're checking your browser for DDOS protection" bounce/redirect when I visit ANN. I was wondering.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Ah, so that must be why I get a "We're checking your browser for DDOS protection" bounce/redirect when I visit ANN. I was wondering.

Yes I suspect that the group that took down PSN and Xbox Live and now CR are probably after ANN too.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this is getting pretty riGoddamndiculous.

So much for catchup binge watching. Might as well go to Netflix and watch Magi...before they get hit too Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11