• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei Herz! Slated for Summer 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

Lol the west is funny like that they can't tolerate things with obsessive fanservice from a foreign country

The West is fine with fanservice, so long as they look "of age" enough.
Once they're of age, ya could whore or twerk them out for all they care.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Calsolum wrote:

Lol the west is funny like that they can't tolerate things with obsessive fanservice from a foreign country

Lol, western hypocrisy at its best. Panties and boobies in anime? Weird and for pedophiles.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=od__L4Lxcxo
^This in commercials? Totally fine.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Yeah I'm not going to lie, I REALLY hope the story picks up for the show in this 3rd season. While the 1st season was underwhelming it was harmless in the fact it was a decent series with a bit of mystery foreshadowing future events.

The 2nd season just felt like a middle finger to me. The fanservice levels were obviously kicked up quite a bit, the humor always felt like it was trying to hard and it introduced a horribly under characterized/perverted loli that I hated.

I still can't get over how Kuro's arc was handled. Instead of making her a sympathetic or understandable character the anime simply hides her entire backstory until her "redemption" episode and instead focuses on her sexual antics a LARGE majority of the time. Needless to say it was really annoying. And I hated it just about every time she was on screen. It's bad enough that anime tries to make EVERYBODY ELSE out to be the bad guy but the little asshat doesn't even apologize for trying to murder Illya multiple times for no damn reason. She even pulled that "You'll never understand me!" line. Ugh........ Sorry but if someone tried to murder me and was always being a vague bitch about her intentions I wouldn't give a shit about her feelings either! Evil or Very Mad

People can say what they want about Yukine from Noragami but at least he ended up apologizing for all the shit he put everyone through spoiler[(even if he was more or less forced too)]. I can appreciate him as a character much more than Kuro.

The final fight in the series was really unsatisfying too. Not only did it take up multiple episodes but technically NOTHING happened. It ended in a spoiler[stalemate]. With very little being accomplished in the mist of it all. Sure you can give it too them that they even spoiler[survived the attack] but considering their opponent not only didn't take them seriously most of the time but also sported the "Terminator" walk it didn't feel like much of an accomplishment.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
@leatherhead333
I half agree with what you've said

The most noteworthy scene was kuro/ilya vs alter saber the rest of it was bit of fanservice here and there and in my opinion there wasn't enough story to justify it so I wouldn't recommend it to 'average ' people. The 2nd season kicked it up to 11 and Kuro smooching everyone else was unnecessary (won't lie it was a little funny when she did it to the teach). But as a bonus the action was also dialed up too and though it was a stalemate I thought the battle itself was entertaining enough(that buttler just moved up in ranking) .
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Calsolum wrote:

The West is fine with fanservice (in cartoons), so long as they look "of age" enough.

If the first sentence was true then Cross Ange would not have received the knee-jerk reaction of being called trash.

if the second sentence was true then fanservicey series would not be openly bullied in english forums being called inferior, unworthy of a second season, ruining anime as a whole etc.

leatherhead333 wrote:
Sorry but if someone tried to murder me and was always being a vague bitch about her intentions I wouldn't give a shit about her feelings either! Evil or Very Mad

Funny that you mention it, but that is what happened this past fall seasonin FSN:UWB, not once, but twice. First Tohsaka Rin tries to kill Shiro (which successfully evades any damage) and then Archer mortally wounds Shiro (the reason he did not die should be put in spoiler tags, so I will simply omit it).

So maybe when the protagonists do not die as easily as average humans, it is easier to forgive or maybe you have a problem with the narrative of FSN as a whole.

leatherhead333 wrote:
The final fight in the series was really unsatisfying too.

Maybe the problem is that the series assumes familiarity with the franchise. Otherwise in season one the fight against alter saber would seem as an ass-pull. In the second season you are supposed to know that the final fight is against the Juggernaut (as in x-men, the terminator is a wimp in comparison), Just in case you change your mind, the fight at the end of 2wei herz will make the fight at the end of 2wei seem like walking your dog in the park
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

leatherhead333 wrote:
Sorry but if someone tried to murder me and was always being a vague bitch about her intentions I wouldn't give a shit about her feelings either! Evil or Very Mad

Funny that you mention it, but that is what happened this past fall seasonin FSN:UWB, not once, but twice. First Tohsaka Rin tries to kill Shiro (which successfully evades any damage) and then Archer mortally wounds Shiro (the reason he did not die should be put in spoiler tags, so I will simply omit it).

So maybe when the protagonists do not die as easily as average humans, it is easier to forgive or maybe you have a problem with the narrative of FSN as a whole.

Illya is the only fate series I have watched so I can't really say much about UWB (though I plan to watch it soon). But even so I doubt that it was executed in EXACTLY the same way and if it is that's a pity.

Personally I'm just not a fan of making a character unlikeable until we get an info dump on their past's to suddenly justify it all. It just feels really cheap. Like the writer is trying to force you to like someone they intended you to completely despise at first. There are a number of villains who have done worse things than Kuro but I still managed to like because of how their characterization was handled. Throughout the story revealing bits and pieces of a characters past while showcasing things like how their mindset has changed from how it used to be, inner monologues etc. don't always make what they are doing justifiable but more understandable to the average human being.

With Kuro though we are simply given nothing to work with. She's selfish, impulsive and is basically just a walking fanservice ploy. Someone familiar with the Fate series might have figured out her origin but again since it's the only one I've personally watched I had no real idea what her deal was. Nor did I care. Because in my opinion I felt like she had plenty of ways to handle the situation differently. But since we are never given much insight on her character to begin with I couldn't understand what she was going through at all.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
atram151 wrote:

This is the magical girl/SOL spinoff of a ero VN, it was always a niche thing. All of the material that has been animated so far was written between 2007-2011 and the studio hasn't put in any fanservice that wasn't also present in the manga and in some case has toned it down.
It was probably never expected to be anything more than a small time manga, which it still is, but Fate is a popular title especially after Zero and the then rumors of a new Stay/Night, thus it gets animated as well.

I personally don't find the fanservice nearly as obtrusive as you make out to be, but it really has no effect on me either way. I watch for the Fate series and the action which in the manga currently rivals the parts of the original series, but that won't be shown till 2016 at the earliest. Assuming they keep making it, and there is no indication they would stop.

Again, not trying to change any opinions or deny any criticisms, just give some background on the series.
Its a 7-year old niche, spinoff Fateservice manga of the popular ero VN presented just as it was written years ago, fanservice and all, that sells well enough to keep be made, and I for one couldn't be more excited.

I'm the same. However, I like fanservice and am always okay to see it in series like these. Not in everything, of course since I like a ton of different things, but this is about Prisma Illya. The action are some of the best parts of this series and what I look most forward to.

It's my favorite Fate because it has fun with the series and to some extent, makes fun of itself. And yeah, the manga has been really good currently. Plot's fantastic.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Lol, western hypocrisy at its best. Panties and boobies in anime? Weird and for pedophiles.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=od__L4Lxcxo
^This in commercials? Totally fine.

Hey, so long as it's of age, they won't care much.

mangamuscle wrote:

If the first sentence was true then Cross Ange would not have received the knee-jerk reaction of being called trash.

if the second sentence was true then fanservicey series would not be openly bullied in english forums being called inferior, unworthy of a second season, ruining anime as a whole etc.

Most anime fanservice aren't of age, so that's likely why.
And sometimes, it's trash regardless of fanservice.
kanechin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
Besides the few sights of lingerie and bath scenes (which I'm totally cool with) I don't see a lot of fanservice in Prisma Illya, I say there isn't enough. Now it's going to be another year long wait (because BD version) for uncensored Illya ecchi.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:
Besides the few sights of lingerie and bath scenes (which I'm totally cool with) I don't see a lot of fanservice in Prisma Illya, I say there isn't enough. Now it's going to be another year long wait (because BD version) for uncensored Illya ecchi.

Um is that sarcasm? If I weren't on a phone I'd have the perfect pic for this (if you google 'futurama sarcastic or brutally honest')

I thought there was quite alot but I guess it's very possible there was just a few incredibly risqué scenes that just happened to stick. I don't recall anything being censored either... Though it's been quite some time since I last saw it and the 'fine' details didn't really strike me as memorable(it was pretty funny though) .
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
I thought there was quite alot but I guess it's very possible there was just a few incredibly risqué scenes that just happened to stick. I don't recall anything being censored either... Though it's been quite some time since I last saw it and the 'fine' details didn't really strike me as memorable(it was pretty funny though) .

I know I am a minority of a minority, but nude prepubescent bodies are not my thing (if somebody wants to make a ruckus about it, I think they had a boner after watching said scenes); now Luviagelita Edelfelt, Sella, Leysritt and Irisviel von Einzbern, yep, there was too little fan service scenes with them involved. For me it was hilarious how Kuro forcefully extracted mana from Illya and friends, specially loved Illya's wtf reactions, would love for Kuro to make Taiga her bitch, har, har Twisted Evil

Anyway looking forward next season, wondering if they will dial up or down some scenes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2