• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Absolute Duo (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:07 am Reply with quote
Re: Miyabi spoiler[repercussions for going rogue] - remember gents that the "magnificent breasts" defense is in play here, so I expect spoiler[nothing more than perhaps a good spanking.]
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Re: Miyabi spoiler[repercussions for going rogue] - remember gents that the "magnificent breasts" defense is in play here, so I expect spoiler[nothing more than perhaps a good spanking.]

Hopefully... *rawr*

[/img]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Pretty intense final battle. A solid conclusion overall.

As a whole it was a pretty good show. People might complain that it doesn't do anything original but what it does do it does well. I'd be up for a second season and probably check out the novels too.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Well Tor sure is a tank. spoiler[Multiple gunshot wounds, impaled by a sword and a wound on his shoulder, and he can still fight back like it's nothing.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
The OP seems to indicate he's some kind of zombie, and maybe that's not so metaphorical.

I can't really agree that it did what it did well. The show stuck to the formula, but not out of any love for the formula. It may as well have been written by a robot, for how little it indulged in the things that make that formula fun to watch.

Edit: Well, that may be a bit overly negative. Early on, I had hopes the show might be interesting, but it just refused to build on what it had established.

Also, absolute worst Light Novel Technobabble.
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
The ending left much to be desired. I enjoyed the series immensely as a whole, but I was hoping for a little more *pop* or twist to the finale. It was a bit predictable. I will give it that. My biggest gripe with this particular episode is when Tor spoiler[just gets right back up at the exact right time to save the day and has enough power and energy to perform an impressive final strike to K.]

An otherwise lackluster episode to an otherwise great series. here's to hoping for a lot more!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
eh, that was ok. it was entertaining, but was kinda underwhelmed for most of the show. better than World Break
Yttrbio wrote:

Also, absolute worst Light Novel Technobabble.

Nah, that dishonor goes to Mahouka
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:07 am Reply with quote
Absolute Duo has done nothing specially bad, nothing specially good.

Pro: characters actually talk about their feelings, instead of going round. Ms. Rabbit becoming more than a bridge rabbit.

Cons: nth "loser with a power bigger than what it seems win the day and the girls" LN adaptation, over, make way for the next one.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:05 am Reply with quote
"Dark Professor BunBun!" Laughing

I rated this show Decent even though I recognize that, on a semi-objective basis, it is probably at best So-So. It didn't shit the bed, but it didn't do anything particularly interesting, either. Yet, I basically dug it. Dark Professor BunBun helped as did Miyabi's bigguns. I kinda want those two to have their own show...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:22 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Nah, that dishonor goes to Mahouka

No, definitely goes to this show. There are actually scenes where people go "Hm, hold on, let me think of a random English word to call this."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote
Random? Hardly. In fact, there phrases here are often achingly prosaic. El Awake? Okay, the El is random, but Awake is pretty on the nose. As is Exceed, Destruction and Blaze. Actually, there really weren't that many terms used and certainly not anything out of bounds for shows of this sort.

eta: now that I think about it, World Trigger is probably the King of Technobabble. Over half of each episode is usually given over to info dumps of one kind or another and then the info gets repeated in their chibi theatre thing at the end.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
No, definitely goes to this show. There are actually scenes where people go "Hm, hold on, let me think of a random English word to call this."

Although I found the use of English words to be silly and unnecessary, they still made sense and were easy to comprehend. On the other hand look at the plot description for Mahouka on wikipedia for example. You can also just go to Mahouka wikia and just find some page about magic. That show was filled with so much of its own terminology that you needed a Mahouka encyclopedia (thankfully we had you, lol) just to keep up with what was being said.

All this just made me remember that Thesis thing from episode 23 for example. Was a bit of a head-scratcher.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I want to be positive, but first I have to say some negative things, especially with this episode. It was kind of a mess, not in that it tried to do too much, but it stuck a formulae so much that it did not seem to flow properly. First it was that the villain seemed to be evil for evil's sake, the show did spoiler[seem to want to say that he was also in pain and used and whatnot, but he just seemed to go from being defeated to wanting to destroy everything]. I especially want to point out that the glasses guy spoiler[running at him did indeed sound intense as he called him a bastard or something, but it just did not seem to match the scene where the war game had just ended and a opponent just appeared]. I would say it was too intense.

The whole episode seemed to just be a back and forth of standard fighting formulae of these type of genre that you could totally drone out and know the general direction of what was going on. Granted spoiler[him getting stabbed] is an interesting turn, but it also felt spoiler[so extreme that it was unrealistic that he just got up without continuously having to hold his guts together that had gotten stabbed]. It kind of ruined the spoiler[fear of losing when we see him doing things like that]. spoiler[Going berserk] is also a good turn, but it also felt just like last time that one could see that it would easily go the same way, there should have been ways to make it look like it was a new level and to show the emotional baggage. It stays at about passable, but also quite mediocre.

Moving onto more of what I would say about the series as a whole. I liked the teacher. From first appearances as just some clumsy woman in a maid and rabbit suit acting cutesy, to a psychotic slasher, and spoiler[finishing with having a heart of gold that would protect her students]. The teacher was just an interesting character that kind of drove this series that can act cutesy, play along with the harem-esq themes, or go completely dark. She was an adult, granted wearing a maid outfit with rabbit ears, and she was generally fun. I would like to say that highlights what I liked in general about this series in having fun. Plus it took a chance to kind of give focus to the romantic interest of one of the secondary characters in a likable way.

In conclusion, this series is a cliché, but it still has fun, there is not too much special, but you might find a couple things that can catch your eye. I rate it Decent, it may have waivered at moments, but I did not waste my time. Bunny teacher raises it up a bit, as did Miyabi for personal opinions...... and gothic lolis are my guilty pleasure. And a callback to the well timed scene of Julie during the shopping.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Cons: nth "loser with a power bigger than what it seems win the day and the girls" LN adaptation, over, make way for the next one.

I don't think the word 'loser' applies to Tor (aside from the fact he's lost stuff). While his Blaze is a bit unusual it's never portrayed as being inferior and he's never come off as an underdog. He's quite compotent in combat and social situations so he doesn't really fit in with other weak willed harem protags. He doesn't come off as particularly overpowered either.

Cam0 wrote:
Although I found the use of English words to be silly and unnecessary, they still made sense and were easy to comprehend. On the other hand look at the plot description for Mahouka on wikipedia for example. You can also just go to Mahouka wikia and just find some page about magic. That show was filled with so much of its own terminology that you needed a Mahouka encyclopedia (thankfully we had you, lol) just to keep up with what was being said.

Well I think that was more an issue of the Mahouka anime being inconsistent about explaining which things it explains. Still, most of Mahouka's techno babble is rooted in real science.

Let's just meet each other half way and say that A Certain series is the worst Laughing

DuskyPredator wrote:
Granted spoiler[him getting stabbed] is an interesting turn, but it also felt spoiler[so extreme that it was unrealistic that he just got up without continuously having to hold his guts together that had gotten stabbed].

NANOMACHINES, SON! Laughing
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
That Duo oath at the end there sure sounded a whole lot like marriage vows.

Not that this anime is particularly complex, but I would never understand those two in such a supposedly intense spiritual relationship while living together aren't actually doing it with each other. If it were me I wouldn't see any way of keeping my hands off of her.

I'm afraid Lilith will have to settle for #2 position. Miyabi #3 and she has the self esteem for it. Tomoe could stand outside and hand in towels when asked.

Not a whole lot else to get out of this anime is there? Still I was entertained enough to rate in Decent or maybe one bump higher.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7