• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: France's Japan Expo Award Winners Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Ok, rofl. Why are we giving a shit about this expo again? Anime hyper

So that John Casey will give his comment about Kingdom Hearts. I am disappointed that it was so short. Laughing

Oh, apologies. If you expected a soap box, you'll only get two words: Peace Walker.

Those two words easily null and void any significance that this Expo had, and it makes any awards they give out meaningless. Wink As far as the eye can see, this is nothing but a bad popularity contest.

Get a couple hundred tween girls together, and they'll tell you Twilight is the best book ever written.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't particularly lose sleep over what shows or persons receive this or that recognition around the world. But, for the record, apparently this outcome was simply the result of a public voting process. In other words, it's definitely not worth worrying too much about that.

John Casey wrote:
Entertaining =/= good show. Code Geass is, bluntly put, so hilariously bad and hammy that it's freakishly awesome.

I wouldn't mind saying that about the second season, R2, but I believe the first season of Code Geass did manage to be both entertaining and relatively good for the most part. You're free to disagree, of course, but for me the series included plenty of interesting elements that could be appreciated by reasonable individuals and not just screaming masses or those who are otherwise easily amused.

Sure, the show was all about exaggerated emotions, gestures and drama. But if the intention wasn't to go for realism or restraint, I don't see such excesses as necessarily a bad thing. Who says "good shows" can't be crazy and implausible?
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

Sure, the show was all about exaggerated emotions, gestures and drama. But if the intention wasn't to go for realism or restraint, I don't see such excesses as necessarily a bad thing. Who says "good shows" can't be crazy and implausible?

Lol, that's exactly why I said the show was such utter cheesecake that it was awesome.

I LOVE Code Geass. Don't get me wrong. But at the same time, it'll never be high-brow wholesome fine theater. So, I honestly find it pretty funny when people treat it as this incredibly deep political thriller filled with gritty social commentary.

Honestly, just about everything does a better job with that. Code Geass is just popcorn. But godamn if it isn't some tasty, buttery popcorn goodness.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, sure. I'm not talking about expecting Legend of the Galactic Heroes quality here. That's besides the point. I do believe, however, there is a large gray area between absolute high-brow and low-brow entertainment. You could say Code Geass swings towards both directions at different times. There's tons of popcorn but also a few pieces of meat, even if it's not a particularly expensive one. I often say the show should usually be taken half-seriously, at most, but that still requires acknowledging some of the better parts. Mind you, this is just my personal viewpoint.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Black Butler... Best adaption? What have those people been smoking? Black Butler's Anime is Black Butler in name only.

They took the manga, removed most of the story, and added 200% more yaoi subtext. The second season even added twelve year old boys' bare asses. The hell?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:57 am Reply with quote
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
Quote:
Best Series Adaptation of Manga: Black Butler

Um... Really? Are you serious? Did these guys even read the manga? The story lines were completely different in the manga and anime...
I gotta disagree with most of whats on this Award Winner's list. =/

there is no rule said that you have to follow the manga. the anime that follow the manga 100%, will never win this kind of award.
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
Also, let's not forget that this event holds place in France, so they vote the releases in France (unless they said else).
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
The second season even added twelve year old boys' bare asses. The hell?

So did Dragon Ball. =_= In spades.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
If there are two things that never change those things are high school girls and Code Geass "critics". I don't believe there's a single thing left to be said about stuff like Code Geass, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, NGE TV etc.
Caly12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:35 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Quote:
Best Release: The Vision of Escaflowne

Aw, it's ok France. You're only...what, 14 years behind on that one?

The price is not for serie but packaging :

I'm not agree with some price, but don't forget, is only with anime and manga release in France
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
They took the manga, removed most of the story, and added 200% more yaoi subtext. The second season even added twelve year old boys' bare asses. The hell?

So they improved it then Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2