• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Honey and Clover question

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hisdon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I hear so much about this series, seen a bunch of stuff, but I am not really sure if I could get into it. So my easy to answer question...

What would you compare it to? Are there any other really mainstream our popular series that resemble it that maybe I have seen some of? Thanks in advance.
bahumut75

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't really know is there is anything really mainstream that I would relate it to exactly. It is a romantic comedy for the most part, but its rather different from most shows in that genre I've seen. Personally, I didn't enjoy it near as much as I "should" have given all the rave reviews about it, and the fact that I normally love romance shows. The first season isn't really bad, it definatelly has alot of romantic content, and it also has a good number of funny parts too. It just didn't really click for me, I don't know if it was the art style, or if it was the fact that it seemed to move REALLY slow - but it was something. I did however, rather enjoy the second season, but I felt like that moved alot faster and alot more really happened. If you like romantic comedies then you should at least give it a shot, at least in relation to what I've seen its kind of unique.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
No, there is nothing to compare it to. It's as unique as Ghost in the Shell or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

It's about realistic life in college. With romance and comedy. If you're a college student who isn't spoiled like a brat, you will relate to it. In fact, it's not the anime that's so great in Honey and Clover, it's relating yourself to the characters that's so great (and I mean in certain aspects, not YOU = ONE CHARACTER). So if you can't do that in the first episode or two, then don't waste your time.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:33 am Reply with quote
Anime like this don't really tend to be mainstream/popular, so there's not a whole lot of great comparisons...Anime-planet comes up with His & Her Circumstances and Koi Kaze, which aren't exactly on the mark: H&H=too angsty and "LOLHighSchoolCrazy," KK=too serious/disturbing to be good comparisons.

About the closest thing I can come up with is Boys Be, a romance/drama about a group of guys in high school and their dealings with girls--BB generally keeps things realistic, though it's a bit more fanservicey than what I've seen of H&C, which is about 3 or 4 episodes. Idk, if you think you can enjoy a slower-paced story about life, love, and the pursuit of happiness, give H&C a shot...I wish I could say more, but I think I'll like H&C when I watch the rest of it, and there are plenty of other well-known forumites who know the series better.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I think H&C is kind of a "niche" anime. You have to sort of be into that kind of category or be willing to try new genres. With all the masses of shonen round here, I sadly doubt H&C will be a hit. But with good marketing and people who will give this a chance, I think it will do okay.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
To me, Honey and Clover most closely resembles a new series from this season, Asatte no Houkou. Looking at it objectively, I can't find very many similarities between the two, but when watching Asatte no Houkou, I was automatically reminded of the relaxed atmosphere and watercolor animation of H&C. Honey and Clover and Asatte no Houkou both are intermingled with both drama and a refreshing slice-of-life feel, although comedy is definitely more imminent in H&C than Asatte no Houkou. Not to mention, they're both produced by J.C. Staff.
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
C'mon.... comparing Honey and Clover to Asatte no Houkou is pure blasphemy :-)

No, seriously: I've seen the first two episodes of Asatte no houkou (& read some sumaries of further episodes) and it's nowhere near the excellency of H & C. The first series with its characters and relationships wants to appeal badly to the otaku-crowd, whereas the relationships in Honey and Clover are way more real, like life itself. The characters in Honey and Clover are three-dimensional and complex. No wonder the series is such a huge hit in Japan among general audiences.

I don't know a series to compare to H & C, the show is rather unique. It ressembles more J-Dorama than anime in general. I agree with Azathrael that you have to relate yourself to some of the main characters from the very first episodes on, or you'll just be bored. You have to relate to characters which must make their own choices for their own future lives - those choices are not always audience friendly because of the unpredictability of the events - like in mature drama. Nevertheless, I think everyone should give this series a try. In my opinion definitely an A+ series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1