• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I am so looking forward to ep 4, it looks completely adorable! If we learn something about the boys' past or their relationship, that's even better!

Yumoto is hilarious, he had the best lines in this ep spoiler["I like nakedness!", "I don't like thinking", "You only let me cuddle you once a day"] Laughing
lys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Their principal holds aspoiler[ pretty boy contest every month, so the school up to the 1579th contest]. Laughing Although if that was done every spoiler[month that would take 131 years, so perhaps if serious rather than just a random number it was more common for a time]?

I won't deny it's a ridiculous(ly funny) set up no matter what, but the apparent age of the school may not be that unrealistic. There are existing private schools in Japan that are at least as old: for example, this girls' school was founded in 1884. (oh, and I just noticed a note at the end of the page—apparently Rei Hino of Sailormoon attended a (fictional) school based on this very one.)
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was a lot of fanservice at the beginning. Laughing That poor guy, though, to have such a name. Unsurprisingly, all of the characters who have become the monsters of the week have had pun-based names, but this guy...well, his first name sounds like the word for "old man", and his last name means "fifty face". So yeah, his nickname is not so much a nickname as it is a direct translation of his actual name.

Their child forms were, as expected, adorable. Wasn't expecting spoiler[them to be de-aged even further later], though. And I do wonder what Kusatsu wished for on that shooting star way back then...

Also, in my opinion, En-chan is the best looking of the Battle Lovers, so I don't think he need worry so much about his face looking "old". Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Lol, they ended up at a gay beach. For whatever reason, the amount of "manservice" reminds me of Inukami. Laughing I think that show stole my innocence. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Since then I can watch groups of muscly anime men and just laugh. Barely anyone probably remembers that show but I still consider it a personal favourite.

Also, apparently spoiler[their teacher was actually okay], despite Wombat's spoiler[obvious lies by making him say that he was not being controlled].
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Also, apparently spoiler[their teacher was actually okay], despite Wombat's spoiler[obvious lies by making him say that he was not being controlled].

I think it's more that spoiler[up until just now, he really was dead, or extremely close to it, and thanks to Wombat's advanced tech, he only just came back to life...only for Yumoto to kill him again.] But yeah, I'd have to say that spoiler[Tawarayama-sensei coming back to life] was the most surprising moment in the show so far to me.

As for the rest of the episode...well, I'm certainly the target audience for things like this, so I was quite entertained. Laughing And when Yumoto wondered if his brother would be there if he opened the door, I was honestly expecting him to find a duplicate of his brother, just with like, dark hair and a white shirt, or something, so I was as surprised by the outdoor bath as they were.

My only real disappointment was that the student council guys didn't bring Zundar along. I was kinda looking forward to seeing how the tiny green alien would enjoy a relaxing day at the beach.

Well, that and Yumoto's constant "cuddling" of the Wombat is wearing rather thin, but I know that's not going anywhere anytime soon, so...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

I liked this episode not in a funny way, but in a more emotional way. I don't think that I thought about it too hard, but the series has been kind of kind about the traits that get exploited into becoming a monster. Despite all of the jokes it does kind of say that some love can go a way to making you a better person.

There are a couple things that I have seen recently that make me think a bit from the episode. The first is that I have been watching a YouTube series recently by Yugioh parody maker, LittleKuriboh, which has been talking about depression, and a major part has been about loving yourself as a first step to cope. The spoiler[hikikomori and En under control of the monster seemed to have a problem with loving themselves].

The second thing I can think of comes from some videos I saw about Pokémon, and what someone felt about the Pokémon Swadloon, spoiler[which looked kind of similar to the monster]. In the games Swadloon spoiler[evolves from high friendship into an incredibly caring Pokémon, which apparently be impactful for being able to get out that part of life].

Rather than simple hate and saying that people are wrong, there is something about something being a bit out of control that I thought made the episode.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
The melon from episode 9 have to be my favorite monster of the week so far. http://boueibu.com/chara2.html He's so cute and Hikaru Midorikawa is one of my favorite seiyuu.

Episode 10
We learned that spoiler[the goldfish from the press club is a alien too], I wasn't shock by this but I was surprise to learned from the next week preview spoiler[ Zundar is following orders from the goldfish, I thought it was the other way around]]

I really hope this show will get a season 2.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Oh my god, that twist makes the show more better. Right off the bat after the big build up that spoiler[the world defence club would fight the student council] we have the spoiler[brother come in] and reveal that that the spoiler[shady talking goldfish is a shady talking alien producer]. The whole time spoiler[it was a TV show] which showed the spoiler[villains kind of embarrassingly trying to destroy the world]. Zundar spoiler[was a lackey trying to get a reality tv show work], and Wombat seems to most likely spoiler[been a big space hippy part of space ethics organisation trying to protect the indigenous species]. Seeing the mascots spoiler[go off at each other and point out Zundar's nose twitching] (something absolutely adorable) was incredibly funny, and really had the character feel kind of awkward.

This show has been quite meta, and they really did save their best for last. We found out that the unlikely character of spoiler[the brother had been the previous protector who saved the day by chopping], his habits during that time spoiler[making it sound like he was an axe maniac]. The news paper club was spoiler[actually reporting on the characters because of the show]. And the events went back and forth with standard spoiler[hero corrupted], and a spoiler[mech coming out of nowhere, a puffer fish] because mascot logic says that is spoiler[what happens when you mix a goldfish with a hedgehog].

In general this show had a good premise, I really liked this idea of magical boys as a parody yet also participator of magical girl themes. And I think that is what kind of let it down, it was too much of a standard children magical girl show with lessons and monsters of the week, even if there was some interesting or funny plays on the tropes. The premise was good, where it wanted to take the premise was good, but all the stuff in the middle was just kind of meh, some wasted opportunities.

I rate it as Decent, I did not lose my time, but I really hooped that it could have done better, but a couple key parts do feel like a must see, creating some funny ideas, like pretty much cheating on the tropes;

And the ED also said that there was very special news at the end, and it was that *drum roll*, spoiler[their teacher was apparently brought back to life off screen by Wombat's people. A purposely anticlimactic, yet also reassuring piece of news.]
Glamrgrl104

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
At first I was like why am I watching this? it is so campy it is hilarious. I have quite enjoyed it a little predictable yes but it just reminds me of sailor moon spoof I can't hate it.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed this show, and am sad to see it over, but I do think this was quite a good ending for it! There were so many good bits, like Gora, spoiler[Akoya punching the press society guy in the face], spoiler[the powered-up super forms] (wouldn't be a true magical girl parody without them! Also, I totally use "more better" in casual conversation all the time, so that naming scheme was probably even more amusing to me Razz ), and the mascots arguing with each other. I actually laughed out loud when Zundar said "You have a pouch, and that's just gross." Laughing

And I'm glad that spoiler[Atsushi and Kinshiro managed to make up and become friends again], although I never really doubted that it would happen. And of course, it couldn't end any other way than spoiler[all of them together at the bath house.]

From the way the ending played out, there really doesn't seem to be any room for any kind of sequel, although I suppose if they tried, they could make some sort of movie, as one final parody of magical girl shows (since so many of them seem to end up getting movies).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
As far as I can tell, there was never a thread for the second series, so I'm posting here.

Season II

It was ok. I enjoyed getting more Goura time, and learning more about his past. I preferred the hedgehog to the squirrel. More of the jokes landed for me in this season. And the final callback to everyone was cool. I also appreciated the closure of the tag where spoiler[we learned Sensei wasn't left to rot after all.] Smile Overall, I didn't waste my time, but I hope they're done.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
The comedy was definitely better this season and we didn't have episodes that felt like complete wastes (there were like 3 of those in S1). Even the laziest Christmas episode was pretty funny. But the entire season felt lacking in the character development department. Apart from the Io and Ryu episode at least one ship sailed this year, we didn't get much from other characters that weren't Yumoto or Gora. Since the biggest mistery (spoiler[dead teacher's status]) has been cleared, I don't think they plan on doing more of this. I wouldn't mind if they did, but I'm also okay with what we've got. And it's a nice feeling to have a show that has a satisfactory ending but that also leaves the possibility for more open.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

Yeah, we did not exactly have much discussion did we. I think that it comes from after while it kind of loses the novelty and especially this season it was kind of lacking in character development. I too think that this season was funnier. A favourite understated joke was that the Beppu brothers were kind of pointless in that they had no plan beyond send a monster out and feel frustrated when eventually the monster loses. And it did feel like the jokes with the monsters landed more like the awkward situation with the Christmas monster, the fact they refused to fight the new years monster, and how Yamato converted the valentines day monsters. The last couple episodes were among the best brand of humour was in these last couple of episodes where we get the weird situation of Zundar with the characters pointing out the odd setting. And really this last episode that had such gags the awkward meeting of Goura with the bird alien (a creepy shoebill), the silly reedit of his time as a hero, the Earth Defence club trying to straighten out the confusing inconsistencies in the plot like how the Beppu brothers went into space, and the just kind of mild annoyance from Zundar over the return of "more better" forms. Also the hyping up of a special announcement at the end, which was just a throw away that their teacher was still not actually dead.

I liked Zunda in the first season, but I would be lying if I said that I did not enjoy Dadacha's smooth "welcome to the Vepp theatre, the idol song finishing with his awkward face hug, and his kind of team mum act. Also moments like how they kidnapped and threatened him last episode or how we saw the Beppu brothers swat him away with an "eww" as children. Oh I remembered that I found it funny the detail that at the amusement park Wombat had the teacher carrying the whiteboard after he used it earlier in what would otherwise be a throw away prop. In general though there was kind of a lack of steam. I kind of feel like pointing to Osomatsu-san that since the first season of this managed to kind of become popular with lightly poking fun at things similar to what this show does, like the odd personalities, mismatched elements, and using totally boring things as a catalyst of events. Earth Defence Club kind of has a lack of punch in comparison, even if that is part of the joke.

I rate it again as Decent (6/10) in that it did not waste my time. It was not bad, but I think that there is a pretty hard barrier preventing it from getting any higher, and there does not feel like any reason for more. This is kind of done.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote
So love is really over now, eh?

What i enjoyed the most about this show was probably that it never ever took itself seriously, even when the "drama" kicked in.

And yes, i'm also relieved that spoiler[no senseis were (permanently) harmed] during the production of this show. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2