• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Vote For the Manga Series They Want to See End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny123100

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
D.Gray Man, this is a series I for one really want to end. It's been I think years since a new chapter was released, and I don't think the series is going to ever get an ending, let alone a continuation. If possible I'd like her to continue working on it so it could get finished up, but I don't know if she's still really sick, or if she got better and is just on a long hiatus now or what. So I at least hope one day this series gets continued or at least ends.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
I stopped paying attention/caring about Detective Conan when there would be multiple seasons of him solving crimes and not get anywhere closer to going back to his original age or whatever. I'm sure the murder mysteries had gotten stale as well (you can only murder someone in so many ways with so many motives).

Can someone please tell me how much the actual story has progressed and if Ran and her father found out that Conan is actually Shinichi?

Pretty much the same for me. If it ever ends, I'd be interested to watch the last season just to see how it turns out, but it was too much spinning in circles for me.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'd love to see a proper ending to D.N.Angel.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
"Series i want to see end?"

Well, if by "end", they mean "reach a satisfying conclusion, then i'd have to go with Billy Bat. The mysteries have been building up for years now, so i think it's about time we start getting some answers!
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
The ones I'd like to see end are the ones headed for a climax that just can't seem to get there for some reason. CLAMP's "X" is the first thing that came to mind.
embermoto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
I would love to see an ending to Detective Conan. This series got me interested in the mystery genre and I know love to read all kinds of mysteries. I want the series to have a proper ending that wraps up all of the major plot threads like who the leader of the B.O. is and if Shinchi will ever get is body back. I also want to see some of the major relationships finally be official like Ranxshinchi, heijixkazuha, satoxtakagi and kaitoxaoka. also want to see Ran's reaction when she finds out just who Conan is. The thing about this manga is that it does seem like Gosho Aoyama knows where he is going with the story. I mean he definitely knows how he wants to end it, its just he is not quit sore how to get to that ending. I do hope that he has written down this ending some where in his notes so that should anything happen to him some one elsa would be able to take over and finish the story.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
One Piece can go on for another 10 years I think.

At this rate, One Piece will keep going until the day Eiichiro Oda dies. What's remarkable is that it's going to stay interesting all the way until then.

Student no.0 wrote:
If you ask me, HxH ended for me where the anime left off. Would totally pick up after that if Togashi's health issues are stable enough for him to work without pushing himself to a harmful extent and there's a good amount of material for me to binge-read.

I heard that he prefers to work without any assistants and is quite hostile to his editors. I'd bet that is the reason for his ailing health.

whiskeyii wrote:
On a whim to see if the Unicorn Chronicles of my childhood ever wrapped up, I discovered the third book "Dark Whispers", which is readily available for $12-$15, hardcover only. The fourth and allegedly final book ("The Last Hunt"), however, only has one edition out and goes for a whopping $500. Minimum. In book form, at least.

EDIT: I stand corrected. The Last Hunt is now $400 new, $200 used. What savings! XDDD

That sounds like the sort of book that should be made available for e-readers. For a book to get that high in price means it's scarce, or at least that there were way fewer books printed than there are people who want to read it. Whoever makes Dark Whispers available electronically will earn a fortune.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
Tite Kubo's way of dealing with writer's block is to introduce a whole lot of characters, then worry about writing them later. Each time he does this though, he struggles more and more with juggling them all.

The problem I have is that Kubo is just stalling at this point--or, as I mentioned earlier, filibustering, as he's just going through the motions at this point but, at the same time, doesn't want Bleach to end. I think the new adversaries are uncompelling and forgettable as characters not because their powers are not being used well (it's nothing compared to the Fullbring arc as far as waste of interesting powers go), but because Kubo creates so many characters that he can't really find a purpose for them all and instead reduces them simply to people who get in the way of the heroes.

American comic book writers rarely care about whether any character is using his or her powers creatively or in interesting ways, but even during its downs, it can still produce stories better than where Bleach is at now because every character has some significance to the story as a whole.

Currently, the only adversaries in this current arc who really matter in the plot are spoiler[Yhwach, Royd and Loyd, Robert, Giselle, Quilge, and Jugram]. All of the others can just be written out of the story, and all that'd happen is that some of the characters on Ichigo's side of the conflict would have no one to fight. That the series is so bogged down in battles that have no real bearing on the story and nothing significant at stake is why Bleach has become so tiresome and why its pacing is accused of being so slow.

I also personally believe this fight between Yhwach and Ichibe is the worst instance of stalling Kubo has done for this arc. The battle had gone on for about 6 chapters or so, but so little happened in each chapter, and there was little sense of progresson of the fight until spoiler[Yhwach's Almighty kicked in]. This was something that could've been done in one chapter.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:27 am; edited 2 times in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
^@theNightster Use spoiler tags

Yeah, that fight was awesome alright, up until Kubo pulled spoiler[The Almighty] out of his ass. spoiler[Ichibei's powers] were so creative and amazing they wowed me off my shoes, but the entire fight left a bad aftertaste with the way it ended. I already have low tolerance for smug Overpowered villains (don't get me started on the Deicide arc. 23 weeks (half a bloody year!) of Aizen being almighty, omniscient and overpowered. Hahaha. F*ck you Kubo), but there's nothing I detest more thanspoiler[ watching a villain getting their ass handed to them week after week after week in awesometastic fashion only for the whole thing to end with "Haha, just kidding" and the villain walking away unscathed.] If there were at leastspoiler[ any lasting injury or after-effect from the battle I'd be cooler with it, but this whole "I'm actually Almighty and completely immune to anything you will ever attempt to do"]. Agh. I just hate it with the fire of a thousand burning suns. Kubo already pulled the same crap when spoiler[Yhwach faced Yamamoto], he's basically done the exact same crap TWICE in the same arc, and it just makes me irrationally frustrated. We already knew it was going to happen, so it wasn't even edgy or exciting, just bloody clichéd and annoying

Last edited by CrowLia on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
Detective Conan can be fun if some important characters got killed, Sadly I don't see that happening at all so yeah just end it. Twisted Evil
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

I figure you're talking of the manga up to where it is right now in the US (or wherever you live?) because those villains you mention are spoiler[all way out of the picture right now, with small to no chances of being relevant again]. Actually, aside from spoiler[Yhwach], I can't even remember the names of the relevant villains in turn.

I actually don't think the bad guys in the Lost Agent arc were wasted, there were only a handful of them, for starters, and each of them was distinctive and memorable, and even those who were defeated quickly got a chance to tell their story. Besides, with the exception of Riruka whose fight with Rukia was kind of meh, all the others also served to show the growth of the Shinigami after their long absence.

Talking about the Fullbringers, spoiler[that's another loose end that Kubo reopened for inexplicable reasons.] *Grunt*
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
Saint Seiya. Most people are unaware, but Next Dimension is no more a sequel to the 80s manga than "The Two Towers" and "The Return of The King" are sequels of "The Fellowship of The Ring". It's one long story that's going nowhere. Masami Kurumada has seemingly lost interest, he's constantly picking up new projects and pushing ND to the back-burner. ND isn't really going anywhere anyway, from what little I can tell(Chapters getting translated into English are so rare it's not funny)

Berserk. It's nearly as old as Saint Seiya, still incomplete. It deserves an ending, a great ending. I understand the writer is not in the best of health? That would explain releasing two or three chapters a year.

Give Bleach a mercy execution.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
I listed the ones that have plot relevance, not the ones who are still alive. I follow Viz's Shonen Jump, which as of this writing is one chapter behind the Japanese release, so I know most of those characters have perished. However, those characters did affect the story in some way or another before they met their end, whereas all of the others never moved the plot forward at all and only served to pad out this arc. I apologize for being unclear.

For the record, these are what they did to be plot relevant: spoiler[Yhwach's relevance is obvious--he's the antagonist. Royd and Loyd helped Yhwach kill Yamamoto, whom Yhwach couldn't defeat on his own. Robert provided exposition about Auswälen and unintentionally fatally demonstrated it. Giselle zombified a number of powerful good guys and turned them to her side. Quilge, by fighting Ichigo, imprisoned him in a cage for a while and allowed Ichigo to learn firsthand how the Wandenreich functions. Jugram, as Yhwach's assistant, gave Yhwach someone to speak to and allows for exposition to the reader.]

You can cut out the battles between spoiler[Renji and Mask, Kenpachi and Gremmy, Rukia and Äs, Hitsugaya and Cang Du], and so forth, and what's currently going on in the manga would still play out exactly the same. They serve no narrative purpose.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
rikku45

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:54 am Reply with quote
I don't want one piece to end. At least it has another few years.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:06 am Reply with quote
[Post about Bleach]
Even if spoiler[Rukia vs As Nodt and Kenpachi vs Gremmy] didn't further the plot at all, they were good fights -the kind that are worth the time they take- because they show us some development from the characters, especifically spoiler[Rukia's Bankai and how close she and Byakuya have become, and Kenpachi and Yachiru's power (this one also provided a glorious line from Kenpachi "Inside that head of yours you imagined me as an unimaginable monster, and that unimaginable monster ended up killing you".)]. I'd also add spoiler[Renji vs Mask the somethinSuperstar] on that same category. It was extremely nice to see these characters that we've come to love have some more development, instead of staying stale and worthless spoiler[Chad and Orihime I'm looking at YOU goddamnit] and having a good opportunity to shine before the big finale (especially because these characters were all supposed to be training to become stronger). spoiler[Hitsugaya vs Cang Du] could've been a good fight in that sense -also because spoiler[we saw the effects of Hollowfying Bankais, another plot point Kubo completely forgot about - if it hadn't been cut out so stupidly]. spoiler[Quilge's fight with Ichigo] might have served a purpose, but it was downright terribly boring, and spoiler[none of the knowledge Ichigo acquired from it seems to have been of any use whatsoever]. I'd take spoiler[Rukia vs As] a thousand times over that.

I'd also argue the plot relevance of spoiler[Giselle's zombies]. They were pure shock value, but they achieved nothing at all. The only possible relevance of that action will be spoiler[whether those characters are still hanging around when the whole thing is done -and I'm guessing they will, if Orihime's powers can be relied on for anything (haha)]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7