• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Vote For the Manga Series They Want to See End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Lusbox wrote:
HxH I stopped reading and put out of my mind after the chimera ants just cus I didn't want to start a never ending arc, wouldn't complain if he carried on writing tho.

You might want to read and/or watch the Election arc after the Chimera ants. It's finished, it's quite well-done, and its ending would be a perfectly acceptable finale for the series even if no further arcs are completed.

Last edited by vanfanel on Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Out of the list, I'd love to see Glass Mask end. I'd love to know if spoiler[Maya finally is able to become the Crimson Goddess and whether she'll finally be able to be with Masumi or Sakurakouji, or whether she'll lose the role of the Crimson Goddess to Ayumi.] Alas, I doubt we'll ever see it in the US. I think the manga is too old and in too much of a niche that someone doesn't want to bother licensing it. The niche reason is likely also why the anime didn't sell well for Sentai Filmworks and we'll likely never see the second set come out.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Case Closed. I just want to see Rachel finally learn Conan's identity. When watching the anime, there was a part of me that cared about THAT aspect of the story more than the mystery-of-the-day. Even when I reminded myself that there was no way she was going to find out anytime soon, I would always hold out hope she MIGHT finally learn the truth whenever she came close. Ugh. Something tells me the series might not even end with her finding out. That would suck. That would really suck.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Count me as part of the multitude of people that wonder how Bleach isn't in the top 10. I enjoyed the series up to the Lost Agent arc.

I'd also like Kaze Hikaru to end if only because the longer it goes on, the longer it will take to be released in the states.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I'm glad the Ah My Goddess! and Eva finally ended after so many years. Right now, I can only hope and dream for X. CLAMP goes all over the place with things (Gate 7 on hold for... more xxxHOLiC and Tsubasa!!) but geeze X is so close it just needs to happen one day...

Unless I missed something Oh My Goddess is still running in publication. I imagine given the time it's been out an end might be coming soon, but I have not heard word of it happening as of yet. Where did you see/hear this?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Naruto, because it never ended to me, and it's been in hiatus since at least half of the time-skip.

Seriously, I want mostly see the end of Glass no Kamen and One Piece; secondarily, of Nana and Hunter x Hunter, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kreion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
Count me as part of the multitude of people that wonder how Bleach isn't in the top 10. I enjoyed the series up to the Lost Agent arc.

I'd also like Kaze Hikaru to end if only because the longer it goes on, the longer it will take to be released in the states.

The Lost Agent arc is arguably the best arc in terms of characters, pacing and emotional impact though...I will never understand why people dislike it. It's a short, bitter arc - whilst the first arc is arguably more memorably it's only defining moment is the betrayal of Aizen, otherwise it's just shounen 101.

I'll be honest, Bleach's strong point has never been its story. Kubo like playing with symbolism and word meanings but he's never manages to weave that into a cohesive narrative well. I agree that he makes too many characters but disagree that all of them are forgettable. As Nodt, Shutura, Bambietta, Ichibei and Zombie guy/girl are examples of characters which were interesting or enjoyable. Kubo's problem is just narrowing his scatter shot down and focusing on the interesting characters.

As someone who still reads Bleach I'm fine with it chugging along - just as I was fine with Medaka Box chugging along when that was going no where and just messing about with powers. Albiet the latter was probably more intentional knowing NisioIsin but the point stands that I don't really need an ending for Bleach right now. Similarly there aren't any series which I would wish an ending upon whilst not being a fan of it since all that's doing is wanting something someone else enjoys to stop...it's a bit of an asshole move. With that said I do hope that in Kubo's next series he either only does the art, or does a straight up seinen or something. The Masaki/Ryuken/Isshin backstory was a lovely bit of storytelling in its own right.

On series I want to have a nice conclusive ending...D.Gray Man most certainly.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I have long thought that Tite Kubo's talents are best used for a series where someone else does the story and he does the drawing. The man can draw, and he's very good at dynamic poses and angles for fights, but his ability to tell a story is exceeded by his ambitious. I don't know if he can swallow his pride and be like Takeshi Obata though.

I mean, I would love to read a series written by Nisioisin or the Baccano! guy and drawn by Kubo. Or even written by a newcomer and drawn by Kubo.

The Fullbring arc, I'd bet, disappointed people because it looked like it would build up to something bigger than it was and ended sooner than expected. Boy, that's quite a change from how Bleach is normally seen. The tone was very different from previous parts in the series, much like how Shrek Forever After was hated by some people because it wasn't as reliant on pop cultural jokes and had a darker, more somber feel to it.

As for why I feel many of these fights in this current arc are meaningless, I can definitely see how peripheral characters get substantial amounts of character growth, most notably Rukia. I still think that most of the others got no development at all though, and that most of the fights existed because Kubo has too many characters and needed something for them all to do. It still slowed down the pacing a lot, as most of these fights could be wrapped up in one chapter, or even skipped. In One Piece, a recent arc had spoiler[Usopp fighting Treból and Sugar at once. We see Usopp land the first hit on Treból, then cut to other characters doing things. The next chapter, we cut back to the fight, and Usopp's already been defeated. You can look in the background and see most of Usopp's signature tools and weapons and deduce what happened]. Where Kubo would need 40 to 50 pages and a lot of exposition, Oda accomplished it in 3 with zero expository dialogue.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
I figure following through the endless fights that Kubo's gigantic cast would require would indeed be boring, but since this is the final arc I really hoped to see some characters have one last time to shine. spoiler[The Visoreds have been 100% wasted, with Shinji disappearing randomly and Kensei and Rose getting killed in the most stupid way]. Kubo teased with the possibility of spoiler[giving Yumichika and Hisagi Bankais], but both characters were completely sidelined for the final battle. And there were also some battles that would've been exciting or interesting, and Kubo chose to skip them in such a way that it feels lazy, especially the ones with spoiler[the Royal Guard]. These characters were spoiler[hyped so much, but in the end we only saw them about to face some enemies and next we knew, they were all defeated or dead]

I do believe Kubo can write a good story (the Everything but the Rain and Turn Back the Pendulum mini arcs should be proof of that), and build interesting, likable and well developed characters. Ichigo's journey alone has been immensely satisfying because we've seen him grow up so much, and many of the supporting characters' back stories were interesting and well-written. I think his biggest problem is that he tries to bite more than he can chew and eventually he was juggling with too many characters. Also, that he has this odious tendency of making every villain overpowered and omniscient.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
^
I think that's my biggest issue with Bleach. It has way, way too many characters that it can't balance. Some waste away on the sidelines, some are pretty much forgotten and go unmentioned for long stretches of time, and others are promptly killed without serving much purpose. It's really too bad, because many of them have unique, cool-looking designs. Kubo is great at designing characters.

I can't imagine Bleach having a really satisfying conclusion; I think it's meandered too long. At the least, I don't think every character will be given a proper send-off, particularly the ones who have been basically missing for so long. Will they reappear at the end to prove they exist?
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
Danny123100 wrote:
D.Gray Man, this is a series I for one really want to end. It's been I think years since a new chapter was released, and I don't think the series is going to ever get an ending, let alone a continuation. If possible I'd like her to continue working on it so it could get finished up, but I don't know if she's still really sick, or if she got better and is just on a long hiatus now or what. So I at least hope one day this series gets continued or at least ends.

If you haven't been keeping up with the latest DGM news, Hoshino-sensei has been working on 219 last year. She also opened up an Instagram account last year to let her fans know that she's alive and kicking. She posted some of 219's images on her Instagram that were eventually pulled for being spoilerific. (As of today, she got a cold. Awww...) Remember, she went on a hiatus due to poor health/arthritis problem. Looks like she recovered nicely.

Also, we had no answers resolved in D.Gray-Man so rest assured, we will see a continuation this year. It's all up to Jump SQ's publishing team as to when they decide it's the right time to publish 219. Wink

We got a long way to go with D.Gray-Man's story. It's going to be an epic ride. One of the few shounen mangas that literally have no filler, except for the spoiler[zombie ghost arc], a lot of character development, and a good story altogether.

Speaking of endings, other than wanting to see an end to Detective Conan, I'm still waiting for Yukiru (bunny)-sensei to get back to D.N.Angel + Lagoon Engine, and CLAMP to go back to ALL of their unfinished works. That's more like a continuation wishful thinking for those two mangaka/mangaka group.

Detective Conan got almost a lot of its story resolved, but I haven't caught up since the spoiler[now we know which side you three new characters are in + Akai identity reveal]. I don't know what's going on now. There were so many filler cases that didn't involve the BO that it drove me nuts enough to put it on a hiatus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7