• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mentions of Australia in anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Early on in Yawara! when Yawara goes to farewell Jody at the airport, Sydney is on the departure board just below Jody's destination Toronto.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:29 am Reply with quote
Not that it is specificly a mention of Australia, but a character in Itsuka Tenma no Kuro-Usagi was drinking a can of VB beer.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
In Mind Game there's a fantasy sequence involving an interstellar swimming race. The commentator announces, "Representing Earth is Matt 'Beyond Thorpe' Myon". Myon is one of the characters in the film. Mind Game came out in 2004. Ian Thorpe had been dominating world swimming for the 4 or 5 years up until that point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Just watching Casshan: Robot Hunter. I wasn't expecting Australia to be so important in it! Australia is a major centre of human resistance to the machines in the story.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:30 am Reply with quote
There is a episode of Sky girls which show a map and it shows Australia showing Tasmania and Adelaide to Darwin under water and from Brisbane to the Victoria boarder and a bit of Western Australia have become islands.From the gigantic bombs exploded to get rid of the worms.
theprophetagp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:24 am Reply with quote
In Patlabor 2 during the scene where the JASDF flight radar mainframe is being hacked into, there's a shot of a QANTAS plane on the ground at one of Tokyo's airports. QANTAS at the time of Patlabor 2's production and release in Japan was in the process of being privatised by the Keating Labor Government.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blinkin

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:57 am Reply with quote
In a anime about boxing called 'Hajime no Ippo', the main characters rival/friend fights an Australian boxer named Arnie "Crocodile" Gregory for the OPBF Featherweight Title.

Arnie's specialty punch is called 'Bloody Cross', he also has a mullet and wears a akubra, what a legend.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
I've just found an anime, Lucy-May of the Sourthern Rainbow that's entirely set in Australia. It was the 1982 edition of World Masterpiece Theatre, 50 episodes long, and based upon the novel Southern Rainbow by Phillis Piddington, a fellow Melburnian.

How about that? I wonder if there's a fansub around.

The first three episodes have been fansubbed. It's f**king brilliant. It tells the story of an English family that emigrates to Australia in 1837. Here are some screen shots.

The first five are from the OP.

Mountain Ash! I'm a fan already.

The next three are from the first episode.

Lucy-May (right) is quite the little pixie. She reminds of the younger daughter in Totoro.

The last one is from the second episode. How the aborigines behaved didn't ring true.
Re the koala - I must have heard the word "kawaii" about forty times.

Last edited by Errinundra on Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I know it has been a while but this is a thread that warrants updating whenever a new anime (or rediscovered oldie) has Australian references.

Free! Eternal Summer just had to mention competition swimming in Australia, right? Well, it dedicated an entire episode (ep 12) to Rin's and Haru's visit to Australia to swim at the 2000 Olympics swimming venue in Sydney.

For sure it has the picture postcode images you'd expect...

... but it also captured the feel of Sydney in summer quite well. Some of the details are impressive. My favourite is the Victorian era hotel the boys stay in.

While that is good, it's the internal architecture that is spot on.

I have lived in and visited many Victorian era buildings and so much about this staircase and landing is absolutely authentic, except that normally there would be banisters on the staircase. The proportions, the placement of the landing and second flight, the doors, the architraves and skirting boards, the staircase pillars, the cubicle under the stairs and the colours of the lino and walls are utterly redolent of the feel and appearance of residential buildings from that time. The modern hand rail on the first flight would be an insurance or regulatory requirement.

Also impressive is the way the Japanese producers employed Australian actors to play the roles in the Japanese release. Not only that but the characters somehow looked Australian.

The concierge (Lib Campbell) was terrific; I loved her "not my problem" attitude.

The accents of Rin's home-away-from-home parents (Tellina Lee and Andrew Bongiorno) were good but the enunciation and delivery were just a tad precise and slow. Their home was convincing, though.

The Australian swimmer was a total clanger. William Winkler sounded more English than Australian. Mind you, the Australian accent is closely related to cockney.

Last edited by Errinundra on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Free! Eternal Summer just had to mention competition swimming in Australia, right? Well, it dedicated an entire episode (ep 12) to Rin's and Haru's visit to Australia to swim at the 2000 Olympics swimming venue in Sydney.

As someone who lived in Sydney it was particularly cool, things like the central station and double decker trains.
Xande

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
One of the International cures from Happiness Charge Pretty Cure! is Cure Southern Cross, from Sydney.

Kiddy Phenil, one of the main characters from Silent Möbius, is an Australian Aboriginal.

Derek from Digimon Adventure is from Queensland, as well as a classroom of students seen briefly in the who witnessed the battle against Diaboromon.

Reever Wenhamm from D. Gray Man is Australian.
Lahmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
In 'ef: a tale of memories', one of the characters live in Australia. The town he resides in is a replica of another town located in Japan, I think it's called Ottawa? But yeah, they even reference 000 as the emergency number, lol. A few neat touches here and there, nothing too big.
Mr Nelg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:03 am Reply with quote
There are a number of others that I see people have missed.

Australia appeared in Ninja Senshi Tobikage (Ninja Robots) In Episodes 33 & 34, the show gose to Australia. Nothing really to say about it other than it looks like any other generic country. Although the only thing identifying the country is one hell of a bizarre looking Australian flag. I mean, look at that thing.

Rhea Gall Force
This one is actually set in Australia, but again, it could be anywhere. The plot has humanity surviving in a Terminator style future, where the resistance is trying to prevent humanity on Mars from blowing up the whole continent with their death ray to win the war.

Full Metal Panic
In the second season I think, there's a very quick shot of the main naval base in Sydney. Its very breif.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:54 am Reply with quote
This is the crater left after Hanemura destroys one of the branches of the Tree of Genesis in Sydney.

I love the play on words in the subtitles, though they could have shown some respect and used Australian spelling conventions.

2018 edit: I forgot to mention that the image is from Blast of Tempest.

Last edited by Errinundra on Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:33 am; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
No mention of RahXephon? Huh. One character spoiler[lost her family years before the main story after a single dolem savaged a number of Australian cities. Her family were in Australia at the time on vacation and their deaths were the reason for her anger towards the Mu, hatred she still finds hard to let go.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4