• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legend of Zelda; Majora's Mask 3D Trailers, Release Date Unveiled (Update)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pikopika

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Whoohoo! It won't be long now~
flackenstien

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has never played a Zelder game, and wants more games for their 2DS, would Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask be a better intro to the series?

I'm assuming Ocarina of Time, as it is seemingly more traditional, but I personally find the vibe of Majora's Mask more interesting.
There's also the issue of getting an unused copy of Ocarina of Time, it doesn't seem like it's in stock on Gamestop or Amazon (for a decent price).

Link Between Worlds is also a thing, but.. not really digging the vibe.
pikopika

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
flackenstien wrote:
As someone who has never played a Zelder game, and wants more games for their 2DS, would Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask be a better intro to the series?

I'm assuming Ocarina of Time, as it is seemingly more traditional, but I personally find the vibe of Majora's Mask more interesting.
There's also the issue of getting an unused copy of Ocarina of Time, it doesn't seem like it's in stock on Gamestop or Amazon (for a decent price).

Link Between Worlds is also a thing, but.. not really digging the vibe.

I personally played The Minish Cap for my first game, but any The Legend of Zelda game is good. You can have no idea about the storyline or gameplay, but I am 99% sure a player will enjoy the experience (unless you do not like puzzles). If you want to choose between Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, or A Link Between Worlds, however, I recommend Ocarina of Time.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait, I been wanting to play Majora's Mask for a long time, so I'm glad it's coming out so soon.

I also notice the game is rated cero B in Japan, I wonder why? I know it's a dark game, but I'm just a bit surprised.

Last edited by Break Xerxes on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
This is the only console Zelda game I haven't played, so I am excited for it to be on the 3DS. (I tried renting it from Blockbuster some years back but of course they refused to provide the memory card thing you needed for it and other games like Donkey Kong 64)

I studied the Hyrule Historia and now I am familiar with the storyline and characters and such, but I am curious as to how the time works. Is there really a time limit? Like, you can't explore to your leisure?
RoverTX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
There is a song which resets time to the time the game story starts. So as long as you play it before time runs out you can start over again. It can get complicated because certain things reset and other don't when you rewind time.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Is there really a time limit? Like, you can't explore to your leisure?

Yes, there's a time limit in this title. The title lasts three days before the Moon crashes into the earth, causing a massive inferno. However, if you play the Song of Time, you be able to travel back to the First Day with your progress saved (although all items and Rupees you've collected will be gone unless they're in the Storage and Bank, respectively).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
^
Would also like to add that you can slow down time by playing the Song of Time backwards, and skip time ahead by playing each note in the Song of Time twice. Honestly the "time limit" is barely a thing. The only time when it's important is when you're doing the side quests. So you don't need to worry about the time limit. It's hardly a time limit.

When you play the Song of Time, you will loose any arrows or bombs or rupees you have, but you can place your rupees into the bank before you do, and you won't loose them. Bombs and arrows and such are easily obtained in bushes and stuff and just by playing the game.

Really, all of this makes it sound bad, but playing this game when I was younger, it never affected me. I never noticed it. So please don't worry.

And there are owl statues where you can temporarily save your game, so you don't have to play the Song of Time all the time to save and loose your things. In the Japanese version, you couldn't save at them. (Their other function is for warping). I don't know if you'll still be able to do this in the 3DS version, but apparently there are new statues as well called "Feather Statues" where you can save your game.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quote
Majora 's Mask is my favorite Zelda game so I NEED that 3ds. Preordering it asap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Ocarina is an actual Zelda game, Majora's Mask was a monotonous time trial rush job adding to the handful of horrible expansion pak games.

People still being nostalgic for the 90's hyped this garbage to no end. I just hope it does decent numbers.
SasuSaku14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
I guess I have even more of a reason to save my points on a gift card website for a 2DS now. I want to try this game but can't just go to a store and buy a 2DS. I don't make enough money at my work study for that.
But, meh. I'm about a third of the way there in points for the gift cards... I just need to get enough for either this game, Pokemon, or Naruto to go with it.
I'd rather get Alpha Sapphire, but I've never played thus Zelda game before...
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to play Majora's Mask again, it's my most favourite game of all time! Very Happy

I don't know it has already been mentioned, but MM gameplay is much more varied than OoT one, thanks to Link's transformations. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Count me in as one of those who isn't a big fan of MM. I don't really get the hype. The 3 day cycle is interesting in concept, but it gets annoying, and the whole feel of the game just rubs me the wrong way.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I love MM, it's my favorite Zelda game. However, I am utterly unimpressed with this 'remake', as I was with OOT3D. These two games deserved so much better.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
I love MM, it's my favorite Zelda game. However, I am utterly unimpressed with this 'remake', as I was with OOT3D. These two games deserved so much better.

Could you please elaborate further?
I believe they were already masterpieces on N64, and they just needed a little graphics update and a reworking of the interface (thanks to the touch screen they now play faster and more smoothly), and they got both. Smile

The only thing I would have wanted more is a fully orchestrated OST for both, but I prefer Nintendo putting most of their resources on the new Zelda games as they are doing.
As much as I love OoT and especially MM, we can't live in the past and I always look forwards what the series can give me with each of its new iterations (I really appreciated Spirit Tracks and absolutely loved Skyward Sword, among the most recent ones, but if I like every Zelda game).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1