• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon Will Release Yuki Yuna is a Hero, Denki-Gai no Honya-san in North America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we shouldn't jump the gun with the "oh no it'll be insanely expensive like AoA stuff" just yet. Sound of the Sky (Sora no Woto) had a similar supposedly-limited-edition direct-to-RightStuf release; it was like... $30-40. And now there's an even cheaper re-release. Yuki Yuna has a good chance of getting a reasonable pricetag.

It's a very early overseas release, but I don't get the impression that the show did all that well (going by the internet rule of "if I'm wrong someone will frantically correct me in a matter of seconds") so there may not be reverse-import concerns.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Ewww I can see it now limited releases and $200 price tags. No thanks bruh. It wouldn't bother me so much to pay $200~$300 if I could have time to save up, but nooooo they only have to have short supply then its oop forever. >_> I download the AoA titles I love cause its not like I'll ever be able to ever afford it so meh.

I hate AoA like burning especially after how they released Valvrave which was one of my favorite series ever. Why cheap postcards with a $150 tag attached to it? What a shoddy release probably their worst by far.

I hope PonyCan will make better decisions than AoA and don't do the limited release crap AoA does for everything even their re-releases. I would like to own series I love and not get upset by the price tag I honestly don't care for extras or booklets I just want to support my favorite show without giving up an arm and a leg. -___-
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Maybe we shouldn't jump the gun with the "oh no it'll be insanely expensive like AoA stuff" just yet. Sound of the Sky (Sora no Woto) had a similar supposedly-limited-edition direct-to-RightStuf release; it was like... $30-40. And now there's an even cheaper re-release. Yuki Yuna has a good chance of getting a reasonable pricetag.
The difference though is that Sora no Woto, while Aniplex, was licensed by Nozomi /Right Stuf in the US, while these seem to be directly by Pony Canyon.

Last edited by kevinx59 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Quote:
The company is signing exclusively with Right Stuf, Inc. to distribute "collector-grade" Blu-ray, DVD, and other merchandise in North America

Aaaaand there goes the reasonably priced anime we've come to enjoy in NA. Following Aniplex all the big Japanese publishers are going to skip licensing out to middlemen and start selling to the US directly at the same exorbitant prices as Japan. Sad

Gonna need an arm and a leg.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

It's a very early overseas release, but I don't get the impression that the show did all that well (going by the internet rule of "if I'm wrong someone will frantically correct me in a matter of seconds") so there may not be reverse-import concerns.

According to Oricon, the first volume of Yuki Yuna had sold just shy of 5k Blu-Rays in the first week, and is sitting at #7 on their Anime Blu-Ray sales chart for the first week of the year. It's not a smash hit, but it should certainly be considered successful.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
MisterLuck wrote:
This sucks and I doubt their releases are going to have English audio and a cheaper standard release. So, I wonder when they will be the next Bandai and ADV? I'm guessing this time next year they'll close up shop. Japan should just stop selling anime to us, if they can't look at the market for TV Shows and no I'm not talking just anime. I'm talking about shows and movies that get made here. This is pointless I guess they just love staying niche. After all this when they fail they'll just scratch their head and say "I guess US doesn't want anime". Damn fools...

RightStuf has consistently put out excellent quality DVDs (case in point: Junjo Romantica, His and Her Circumstances, The Third, Comic Party). They won't be closing.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
I saw this on one of the none anime boards that I post on which is seeing something similar happen, I'm lifting the quote and rephrasing it slightly but it is still quite applicable to this evolving situation.

Quote:
For those who want to have Anime as a small, members-only club requiring a high-dollar investment, this new status quo will work fine.

I find the shrinking of horizons for the Anime industry in the US to be dismaying.

Mark Gosdin

After working two conventions over 8 years I've actually seen a substantial boost in anime fandom, mainly from being able to watch it via streams. I remember one fan in particular was amazed at the quality of the anime we were showing (BD of Denpa Onna NISA has sent us), was quite different from the low quality streams he has always used.

Sure Aniplex has high prices but Sentai and Funi can have amazing sales, from the Christmas Rightstuf sale alone I purchased a huge collection for about the same price as one Aniplex release.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Well both of then are very good but I kind of wondering if there going to dub or keep the price down paying 300 bucks for sub only is just way to much
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well both of then are very good but I kind of wondering if there going to dub...

Well, considering that Pony Canyon is just starting out, I wouldn't expect to see an English version of either one of their shows...
...at least for quite a bit (I'm hoping).
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Well let see how Pony Canyon do on the US market. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Artesox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
According to Oricon, the first volume of Yuki Yuna had sold just shy of 5k Blu-Rays in the first week, and is sitting at #7 on their Anime Blu-Ray sales chart for the first week of the year. It's not a smash hit, but it should certainly be considered successful.

Yuuki Yuuna v1 had two "strong" weeks after that and is now at 9.5k, as far as new originals go it was certainly one of the most successful of 2014

mdo7 wrote:
Well let see how Pony Canyon do on the US market. Confused

Considering they are able to mess up even on the japenese market I fear they won't last

Last edited by Artesox on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, we'll, lets not jump to conclusions on how they are gonna model their series within price points and if they're either doing singles (kinda how Aniplex has done lately with KLK and PMMM.) or in a complete series (in a "collector-grade" thing, as they said.)

Who knows what they'll do if and when that happens. (And yeah, chances for a dub on both of these are real slim, since Pony Can. is starting out though. So we'll have to wait on the announcements for pre-orders and other stuff coming soon, I guess.)
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the headline I was steeling myself for finally learning how much these releases were going to cost, but alas it was a false alarm, and the wait must continue. Man I have never been this anxious to find out the price of an anime release before. I like Pony Canyon, but I don't want this to tarnish my view of them (as it has with Aniplex). For a second I had a small sliver of hope when it said they were releasing it through Right Stuf, that it would be like the Gundam UC Sunrise DVD release but alas I think I'm getting my hopes up. I just hope that the blu ray is at least around NIS price. I also pray that there is an affordable cheap DVD alternative. If its $49 msrp for a complete bare bones DVD I'll be fine. Although it sounds like due to the JP release times they'll be doing singles. Id be cool with 3 $20 DVD singles. $15 and I'll be ecstatic. Though the licenses are interesting. I liked Yuki Yuna a lot but Denki Ga really didn't strike me as a premium price kind of show. I just want Yuki Yuna. If too expensive, oh well, at least I'll have Wixoss to tide me over.

PS I'd forgive a $100 blu ray complete set if it included an english version of the PC visual novel the JP release came with.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
People, if you only want to pay ~$100 or less for this release, then you just need to wait years for that to happen. It wouldn't make any financial sense for a Japanese company to directly sell anime in the same BluRay zone as Japan at less than a quarter of the price that it currently costs in Japan. That just ain't gonna happen.

So simply stay quiet, wait, and realize that this release is for the "collectors", the ones who will pay a premium to own a supposed high quality release very soon after the anime finished in Japan.

In 2-5 years, you just may be able to own it for a lot less.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

In 2-5 years, you just may be able to own it for a lot less.
2 years is OK but 5 years is an awful long time to wait. The fact that Aniplex has yet to do that with Durarara, ROD, or even Ruroni Kenshin ( I think) doesn't inspire much confidence either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8