• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon Will Release Yuki Yuna is a Hero, Denki-Gai no Honya-san in North America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:44 am Reply with quote
https://www.facebook.com/rightstuf/posts/10152831632307745?comment_id=10152831768342745&offset=0&total_comments=16

Looks like according to Shawne Kleckner himself, this aint gonna be a cheap release. (If nothing, at least I appreciate the honesty instead of just trying to dance around the subject, so good on him for that)

Dont really care too much for either show (Denki-gai looked decent, but nothing I was rushing to see) so I guess I dont really mind, but does make me wary of the future. I do wonder if those shows warrant the "Aniplex style" pricing, depending on whatever they mean by that. Aniplex is usually pretty good at picking which shows will be their BIG hits (Kill la Kill style singles with dub and plenty of extras, or even Nisekoi without the dub) and the not-so-big (IE Silver Spoon simple, bare bones release, but still on the pricey side for something so minimum).

Is Pony Canyon gonna do a KLK style release? And if so, are these shows popular enough to do that and Im just not aware? Yeah, I know they only need to sell a little for a lot like Aniplex does, but its one thing to do that for something like Kill la Kill or Sword Art Online cause that has enough people that will buy the expensive release. Do these shows have that "small, but just enough" amount of fans that will buy a collectors release price of these shows?

Time will tell I guess. And hey, we still dont even know what the price is, or what's coming with the release, or if there will be a cheap option to go with the expensive one. And who knows, maybe the extra's will be good enough to reflect the price, whatever that is. Let's find out
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
Darn, I was hoping they'd be more reasonable with their pricing, but it'd make sense they don't want to compete with their Japanese market.

Still, do these guys have any idea how the American home video market works? There are the super collectors' editions, but they don't cost much more than the less feature-rich standard editions that are priced competitively. You don't have stuff like the people in Japan who take pride in how much they paid for their collections. Even collectors want as much bang as they can get for their buck, and those editions that cost maybe $5 or $10 more are loaded with special features.

What would happen if an anime producer tried selling in Japan with American-style price competitiveness? Would it even work?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

What would happen if an anime producer tried selling in Japan with American-style price competitiveness? Would it even work?

They would get much less money in sales overall with American-style price competitiveness practically every single time.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
You're probably right, considering anime has become a niche there.

I really wouldn't want anime to be a niche in the west either though. But I guess if this is how these companies feel profit can be maximized, there's nothing that I can do about it.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
Honestly, Yuki Yuna is probably is going to be only thing that might keep the lights on for Pony Canyon US since Denki-Gai sold like dirt in Japan and probably won't do much better in US
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
^
Oh, man...If that's the case, then it seems that Pony Canyon of the U.S. is off to a really bad start, particularly if Yūna Yūki Is A Hero ends up not faring well on the U.S. side.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
On to the main topic..I'm a bit surprised. Yuuki Yuuna was not a great show by any measure. It took almost every dark magical girl trope that exists and just piled them on top of each other. The only really good thing about it was the animation. But from what I've seen online it seems pretty well received by people who haven't experienced the genre before or people who just automatically love anything that's dark in any form.

Pretty sure I don't automatically love anything that's dark and have plenty of experience with the genre, and I rated it my #2 title for the year (and debatable for #1).

That aside, I'd love to own this one on physical copy (with or without the dub, I don't care), but there is a price limit that I will tolerate. Hopefully it comes in under that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gt123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
Pony Canyon did an outstanding job of disguising Yuki Yuna as a typical slice of life show, and the strategy worked great in Japan with a word of mouth campaign leading to a huge increase in sales after episodes 8 and 9.

Unfortunately as a side effect, relatively few in the West paid any attention to it because they disguised it as another generic looking slice of life show (and one with no name to work off of since it was anime original), so it was mostly passed over.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:54 am Reply with quote
Well these shows I don't think will hit the sales numbers of some of the Aniplex shows but I guess it's all about testing the waters.

Note: Anyone old enough to remember Fuji/Pony Canyon releasing Video Games in America back on the Nes? ( I think they only managed a couple of Ultima games and a D&D game)
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:12 am Reply with quote
The only one of these 2 I'd consider buying is Denki-Gai...I actually watched the whole series. But, even after enjoying some of that series, I probably won't buy it.

I am interested in seeing what kind of a release PC will do for these series, so will be keeping an eye on developments.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
I find the company name to be 1 more interesting than perhaps the prices themselves.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
I'll wait and see what the actual prices are going to be, before condemning PonyCanyon and pronouncing the end of the NA industry. Personally I'd like to see Pony Canyon take a price point between the normal Funimation LEs and AoA LE prices. I think there's space for it, say $80-200 range, it'd be within reach of more fans than say $300 to collect the Fate/Zero BDs of AoA. If on the other hand they do take a strict AoA approach then that means more anime I wont be buying and less purchases from me overall (I think I wont be the only one doing this).

As far as Yuki Yuna, I thought it was a decent show. My favorite part was the show having an active handicapped heroine. The ending felt a little like a cop-out for me though. Is it Madoka quality? No, I didn't find it so. It will be interesting to see what they think they can get for it. Ugh, I hope we aren't doing singles I just hate how much space they can take up on my shelf.

Megiddo wrote:
People, if you only want to pay ~$100 or less for this release, then you just need to wait years for that to happen....

...So simply stay quiet, wait, and realize that this release is for the "collectors", the ones who will pay a premium to own a supposed high quality release very soon after the anime finished in Japan.

In 2-5 years, you just may be able to own it for a lot less.

I don't know if you are going to be able to get a physical release in 2-5 years. Imho, why would a company do a physical release in 2-5 years when they can just stream it? They are starting to make money now off streaming and in 2-5 years there will be another set of "anime must have" hits to promote as a physical release so why re-release an older show? I mean this is already one of the arguments of AoA apologists: "you can watch it, just stream it!". Its also a way of pressuring fans to buy now when they can still get their hands on a physical release. The only way I see a re-release happening is if there's say a second season, or extra movie of the franchise put out. Then they can bundle it all together call it "The Ultimate Collection" and still charge you an astronomical price.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Still, do these guys have any idea how the American home video market works? There are the super collectors' editions, but they don't cost much more than the less feature-rich standard editions that are priced competitively. You don't have stuff like the people in Japan who take pride in how much they paid for their collections.

I disagree with a couple of things. Super collectors' editions in N.A. are not cheap. Funimation's typical LE's are cheap but generally only come with a storage box. But their more lush LE's of Kamisama Kiss, Psycho-Pass and Attack on Titan were not cheap. And Sentai's Chuunibyou's CE will be almost $80 for 12 episodes.

And I think it is a mistake to assume that the N.A. market does not have fans who take pride in how much they pay for their anime. Just look at Aniplex USA's uber fans.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
And I think it is a mistake to assume that the N.A. market does not have fans who take pride in how much they pay for their anime. Just look at Aniplex USA's uber fans.

And those fans in turn remind me of this old joke about the New Russians:

"Look at my new tie," says a New Russian to his colleague. "I bought it for 500 dollars in the store over there."

"You got yourself conned," says the other. "You could have paid twice as much for the same one just across the street!"
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
In 2-5 years, you just may be able to own it for a lot less.

Which is exactly why we see AoA charging what they're charging for Gurren-Lagann seven years after the fact. And why I can currently buy a standard Blu-ray set of Durarara!!

...oh wait, no, that's precisely what's not happening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8