• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon Will Release Yuki Yuna is a Hero, Denki-Gai no Honya-san in North America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:45 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What is the price? These last posts all have a different price.

$89.98 MSRP
$71.98 Store Price
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote
Ah, that explains why people are saying different things. I thought the prices were constantly changing and fluctuating, or something.

Still, those numbers are a definite "no" for me.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:01 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Details of the set are now up on the site.

$70 for 4 episodes and a standard looking boxset. They are even more expensive then Aniplex USA.

Ugh, it really isnt looking good for Yuki Yuna. Damn that's a shame. Hopefully they at least include the VN. But $71 is a lot. Will it even sell? Denki Ga was okay but definitely not $210 worth.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
Well, on the bright side, there's always Crunchyroll for those that want to watch these shows officially...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Well, on the bright side, there's always Crunchyroll for those that want to watch these shows officially...
For another nine months or so, anyway.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
No, I'm not talking about anime releases, but western releases of western media. For the price of a Kill la Kill single, you can get an entire season of The Simpsons.
Are some of those later Simpsons seasons really better than any given 4 episodes of KlK?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
They always point to BVUSA instead of Aniplex. BVUSA didn't have the benefit of growing audiences via streaming before selling their expensive discs, Aniplex and Pony Canyon do.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, Aniplex, despite their reputation, really only slaps ludicrous prices on ultra-popular things like Gurren Lagann or Kill La Kill or Fate, because they know those franchises have plenty of fans hardcore enough to pay like $500 for the best possible boxset.

Oddball things that aren't popular, like Servant X Service, are priced much closer to normal U.S. levels. Pony Canyon's trying to charge over 3 times that much for Denki-Gai... I doubt that's going to have much success. With Yuki Yuna, maybe, but not with yet another bland otaku-appeal slice of life comedy. (Though the funny thing is, a lot of people are probably still under the assumption that Yuki Yuna is one of those, thanks to that promo image...).

Still doesn't mean there will be a pile of bargain-bin copies, though. I mean, they're doing a pre-order system for a reason.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Still doesn't mean there will be a pile of bargain-bin copies, though. I mean, they're doing a pre-order system for a reason.

Everything TRSI sells is always available for pre-order, afaik.

I'd love to be privy to the sales figures for those first two Ponycan offerings. I'm one of those who is dubious about their appeal at this price, but it would be fun to know for sure.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

Oddball things that aren't popular, like Servant X Service, are priced much closer to normal U.S. levels.

That's a DVD only set. The entire reason why these sets will be expensive is because they're BluRay and we share the same BluRay zone as Japan.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Are some of those later Simpsons seasons really better than any given 4 episodes of KlK?

Even the Golden Age seasons I can find for $40. I bought them new for $50.

B-GradeMegumi wrote:
Bringing up an american show that can make revenue off of television ratings and merchandise as the basis for your argument is weak at best. The show in question is not only an import, but is STILL being released on disc in Japan, all of which is reflected in the price.

I am a consumer, so all of that doesn't matter. As a consumer, all I'm concerned about is how much I can get relative to how much I'll have to pay for it. If it's going to cost that much more, then there ought to be either that much higher quality or that much more stuff.

That's the hard truth about running a business: If you're doing it in a way that costs more than that of your competitors, or if you have fewer revenue streams than your competitors, then you'll be at a disadvantage.

As scummy as outsourcing to third-world countries is, for instance, Fruit of the Loom refused to do so--and almost went out of business. That is, you can't expect your customers to buy things because they feel it's for the best for the company or for the industry. Most customers will think, "What's in it for me?" or "What incentive would I have to buy your things over these other guys' things?"

Quote:
People have been saying the same thing about Aniplex releases for years.

Still waiting for that "guaranteed" outcome........

I never said anything about Aniplex. Aniplex provides affordable alternatives via streaming online and showing some of their biggest hits on cable/satellite television. As a consumer, I can use those means rather than buying them on home video. While these shows are being streamed at the moment, are they also supplying the translations and localization?

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Well, Aniplex, despite their reputation, really only slaps ludicrous prices on ultra-popular things like Gurren Lagann or Kill La Kill or Fate, because they know those franchises have plenty of fans hardcore enough to pay like $500 for the best possible boxset.

Oddball things that aren't popular, like Servant X Service, are priced much closer to normal U.S. levels. Pony Canyon's trying to charge over 3 times that much for Denki-Gai... I doubt that's going to have much success. With Yuki Yuna, maybe, but not with yet another bland otaku-appeal slice of life comedy. (Though the funny thing is, a lot of people are probably still under the assumption that Yuki Yuna is one of those, thanks to that promo image...).

I gotta wonder too just how quickly the market becomes flooded with these kinds of releases. I mean, when your whole business model revolves around making an exorbitant profit off a tiny niche of hardcore fans, just how far can you stretch that? Certainly those people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for the likes of Madoka, Kill la Kill, Fate, etc. And maybe those people would, in isolation, pay this much for a pretty low profile show too. But at some point it stops being about what those people are willing to pay and becomes about what they can afford to pay. They have to at some point say "I would buy this but I really just can't afford it given that I've already bought [a half dozen other super expensive releases] already.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Apparently you're only a hardcore fan if you love paying over $200 for one cour of anime. Any less? Get out filthy casual.

I strongly disagree with the notion of measuring someone's fandom solely by how much money you are throwing at a show. I say this as someone who has spent around $500 buying Aniplex's Monogatari releases so far.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
B-GradeMegumi wrote:
How else in a non-derogatory way would you describe someone who spends that kind of money on a series?

A fan. That's it. I already edited my above comment for further clarification.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
B-GradeMegumi wrote:
Whatever works for you. The bottom line is that AoA and Pony Canyon are going after people who are willing to spend more than average on a show to get a faster, high quality release.

It's not a personal attack, it's just their business model and market focus.

I agree with that. I just took offense to the casual label. I don't like paying that much and am not happy with the situation. I do buy Aniplex releases (Madoka and the Madoka movie imports, Monogatari, Kill la Kill) and actually plan on buying a couple more at some point. Anime is my primary hobby, and I've spent a ton of money on both discs and merchandise. It just bothers me a bit to see people imply that I'm somehow a lesser fan because I'm not happy paying such high prices.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
B-GradeMegumi wrote:
Ultimately, Pony Canyon and AoA are going after hardcore fans who have higher price tolerances, as opposed to casual fans who demand quantity over everything else and have multiple forms of media vying for their attention and money (in other words, they're not for you).

Call me a casual if you'd like, but I demand both quantity and quality, although I know it's rare for a company to be able to provide both. Or rather, the three-way continuum consists of speed, price, and quality: Only under exceptional circumstances can you deliver a product with all three, with most products having two while sacrificing the third or having one while downplaying the other two.

But yes, you are absolutely right--if this will be Pony Canyon's marketing approach, then their stuff is not for me. The question, then, is how large their target audience is, and of that target audience, how much of it Pony Canyon will be able to have. Certainly, it'll be tougher than with Aniplex, as Aniplex has already claimed large chunks of this market by the time Pony Canyon arrived.

I really don't care much about quantity since, as you mentioned, there are multiple things I am into, and I have to apportion my budget accordingly. Since anime is actually somewhat down the list, I'll only make a few anime-related purchases per year for a few releases I really enjoy at a price I like. (An example is One Piece: Film Z--generally regarded as a quality movie all around, with top-notch animation, superb writing, and outstanding performances in both Japanese and English, Fry's Electronics sells the Blu-Ray with a bunch of special features for $21.99.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8