• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Uncertain Futures

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote
Even within a single company, money will change hands between different business units. No actual cash may be transferred, but that exchange still needs to take place in order to track the performance and profit & lose that is incurred by different organizations within the company.

In the case being discussed, Viz would "write a check" to Shueisha, and Shueisha's accountants would move that money through their books (accounts receivable, accounts payable, etc.) and mete out payments to any parties who are owed.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
Silly question, what is that circle logo on the front page of the ANN site with the link to this Answerman column? It looks like one of the television networks that I saw in Japan.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:48 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Silly question, what is that circle logo on the front page of the ANN site with the link to this Answerman column? It looks like one of the television networks that I saw in Japan.

It's the logo for Fujisankei Communication Group, which owns both Pony Canyon and FujiTV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
omiya wrote:

It's the logo for Fujisankei Communication Group, which owns both Pony Canyon and FujiTV.

Thanks!
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and right now there's no film in active production that we know of

I think it would have been worth to note that atm they are doing Ronia the Robber's Daughter, which is a TV series, but at least it is something to (try to) keep the semblance of a working company. Haven't heard of any disc sales estimates for said series though Sad
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Quote:
and right now there's no film in active production that we know of

I think it would have been worth to note that atm they are doing Ronia the Robber's Daughter, which is a TV series, but at least it is something to (try to) keep the semblance of a working company. Haven't heard of any disc sales estimates for said series though Sad

This is the first time I'm noticing it but on CDJapan it looks like the first volume is finally there now on Blu-ray and DVD listed as coming out January 30th, but no subs.

I hope we eventually get a US blu-ray and dvd release too.
Eri94

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Can someone explain paying your parent company in simple terms?

Because it sounds retarded as hell.

If I own a company and open up a Japan branch, why would I charge my own company and want to be paid using my own money?

Just what.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
@Eri94
To begin with the Japanese company doing the licensing is seldom sole owner of the program. This allows the other owners to be paid as it the show were sold on the open market.

This lets the parent company transfer any risk to the US branch for accounting purposes.

The US branch gets to establish a cost for the purpose of taxes. It makes it part of the "cost" of doing business.

I'm sure there are other advantages as well.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I cannot speak definitively for a business, but as a civil servant, my experience is that units of a larger organization guard their particular pile of money very jealously and it is very important just who has paid for what. Part of this is selfishness and part of it is just keeping things in order. (That latter concern might be greater in government where an agency's money is legislatively appropriated to it)

For example, a few years ago I was working at one agency while technically on the payroll of another. I went on a trip for the agency that I was working for and was reimbursed for the cost. Considerable paperwork ensued to make sure that the expense of my reimbursement was charged to the agency that nominally employed me rather than the one where I was working. Even within the agency that I work for, there is great attention paid to associating costs with the correct project or bureau. There are also very stringent rules for interagency loans. If one agency gives another a loan, that loan absolutely must be repaid before the end of the fiscal year at all costs. The repayment has priority over your own program. Children will starve, grandmothers will die and speeding jackasses on the Turnpike will go without being ticketed if that's what it takes the repay the loan by the mandated deadline.

Any large organization is not really 'the government' or 'the company', but a collection of constituent parts that even when operating under the same umbrella or having common cause, are composed of discrete units, each with its own interests, needs and paperwork.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:

If I own a company and open up a Japan branch, why would I charge my own company and want to be paid using my own money?

Just what.

Now, here is my answer.

Because if your company is big enough to have a Japanese branch, you're not the only person who works for your company. The people in charge of whatever is getting exported to Japan would like a slice of the money gained by selling it to Japanese people, and the easiest way to go about it is to ask for a sum of money upfront, then let the Japanese branch's people adapt and sell the product however they see fit.

That is the simplest possible answer I have for a theoretical company.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:

Just what.
I'm pretty sure subsidiaries have always had to pay for their parent company's goods and services and usually vice versa. Sometimes things are just done on a cash-and-carry basis, but everybody scratching their heads isn't seeing probably one of the most important downsides of taking your fees from "profit": you don't know if you're actually turning one. Since you don't calculate one of the most important datums, any number you'd come up with is inherently incorrect; knowing your costs lets you know your profit, which lets you make informed decisions(like, say, maybe spinning the subsidiary off or even closing it entirely).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I've said this before and I'll reiterate it here again. AniPlex USA is just getting away with it simply because there isn't, or wasn't any other Japanese outfit swimming in their little puddle as well so there is, or was just enough oxygen in the form of profits for them alone to breath. The more fish that want to swim in that same puddle the less that's going to be possible and someone's going to eventually go belly up just like Bandai and Toei.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2