• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PONYCAN USA Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
A pin up is just an image printed onto glossy paper usually of the full cover art. A lot of the ones I have are postcard size.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Isn't that what the two character cards with the starburst effect behind them are? If so they appear large postcard sized.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
The U.S. being in the same region as Japan was the worst thing that could have happened.

Just glad I am not interested in either of the Pony series but who knows what the future will bring.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'm not quite sure where people are getting "more expensive than AoA" from this?

For SRP of $90, you get 4 episodes on BD and DVD, a CD, a special case and slipcover, a 24-page book, 2 special illustrated pin-ups, a double-sided poster, and a double-sided cover.

To compare it, Madoka LE 1 was SRP of $95, 4 episodes on BD and DVD, a CD, a special box, a 24-page book, postcards and a sticker, a double-sided poster, and a short manga.

That looks pretty equivalent to me.

Well, not quite. Madoka was...well Madoka and Denki here is...well not in the same league. Plus your forgetting that Madoka came with a Dub as well. People might not have been so shocked if it was a giant hit that they were asking this amount of money for. Also its still too early to tell if this is going to be a fixed strategy of theirs or if they will test out different price points with different products. If they don't and they just charge this kind of going rate for any old show they bring over then they are going to have problems.
SteveUzumaki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
As of now, it seems like we've found a R1 company more pricey than Aniplex and in all honesty I never thought I'd see the day. Overall, the set looks pretty good from the pictures but I can not in any way justify that price.

That and Denki-Gai just doesn't look like the type of series I'd drop $210 on to get complete (provided 3 sets, 4 episodes a set). If PONYCAN is just going to bring any old series over and charge that much, I can't see them being in business for very long here.

As with anything, someone somewhere out there will end up buying this, but it just won't be me. But, they're just starting out here. We'll just have to wait and see how they do.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'm not quite sure where people are getting "more expensive than AoA" from this?

For SRP of $90, you get 4 episodes on BD and DVD, a CD, a special case and slipcover, a 24-page book, 2 special illustrated pin-ups, a double-sided poster, and a double-sided cover.

To compare it, Madoka LE 1 was SRP of $95, 4 episodes on BD and DVD, a CD, a special box, a 24-page book, postcards and a sticker, a double-sided poster, and a short manga.

That looks pretty equivalent to me.

But Madoka has an English Dub included. This set is sub only and the packaging looks like crap compared to the Madoka LE sets. I have to agree that this set is more expensive then what Aniplex USA offers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
While it is obvious that Pony Canyon has adopted AoA's business model of high priced collectors sets, it is not real useful to try to compare prices between individual series. Even if all the bells and whistles added to the set are equivalent, the shows themselves are not comparable. Such a comparison would work only for someone who liked both series about the same and couldn't afford both.

This is a cute little show. If it were for sale from Sentai for their usual price for a one season sub only show, I would buy it. However $72 is probably more than I would pay for the whole series. Under the current set up there is not a chance.

What it comes down to is whether there are enough people in this market willing to pay that much for that show to meet their goals. I doubt there are, but we will have to wait and see.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/DenkigaiUSA/status/554501752095911937
Quote:
DENKI-GAI Episodes 1-4 DVD/BD/CD combo pack on sale 7 AM PST Jan 12! Early orders get exclusive bonus gifts. GO TO http://umanohone.us/bd.html

https://twitter.com/yuyuyu_USA/status/554503820693082112
Quote:
YUKI YUNA BD/DVD/CD episode 1-4 combo pack ON SALE 7:00am Jan.12th PST! Go to http://ponycan.us Early orders will get exclusive gifts!
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
Yuki Yuna is a Hero DVD/Bluray Set Volume 1.

Quote:
Retail Price: $89.98
Your Price: $71.98

Customers who pre-order this item by February 28th will also receive a Special Surprise Gift! More details coming soon!

Contains episodes 1-4, plus a special character song CD, a 24-page deluxe booklet with character designs by Takahiro Sakai, and two collectible wall pin-up pictures illustrated by BUNBUN.

Special Features: Clean Opening and Closing (Special O.A. Version), TV Commercial Collection.

I also noticed something interesting:
Quote:
Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles, Spanish subtitles.

Wonder if the show actually got dubbed or if this was a typo in the listing?

Update: Rightstuf has confirmed on their Facebook page that Yuki Yuna's release will include an English Dub.

Last edited by Rukiia on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
A dub is a step in the right direction, but those prices are still way too high for what they're offering. Especially for one of their first releases. Neutral
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. So Yuki Yuna doesn't get the double sided poster, but it gets an English Dub. For me the dub gives it more value. I think that they will get more buyers for Yuki Yuna than Denki.

The dub is a step in the right direction for me, but the packaging isn't quite there and the price for me would have to be lower. Not lower as Funimation or Sentai level prices, but definitely lower than it is now. As it is now I wont be buying either one of these releases. It would be nice if in the future AoA and Pony actually competed for our money instead of forcing us to choose which products to buy between them. Doubt it'll happen though. I'll be interested to see what other titles they bring over.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
A dub is a step in the wrong direction- most of the people who are willing to pay these prices are the ones who'd just import BDs straight from Japan.

I'd be willing to pay up to a hundred dollars per dubbed season or so, even if I'd rather not, for shows I want as long as it's a full set {and now, I'm giving companies ideas again. Guys, I don't want junk with it or stupid packaging, I just want the show if I want the show. Anything worse than Toradora is a big "no" in my book}.

I have long considered dubs to be investments so at least they're proving to be serious {I'll watch it if it gets streamed?} but how long have we been waiting for the Madoka set? Or is it "a" Madoka set?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Just to add to the Denki-Gai and Madoka price comparison, do not forget that Madoka was also released in more affordable, standard BD and DVD editions.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I kinda want Yuki Yuna any idea what these gifts are? Possibly something useful like an art box? I'm not a big fan of trinkets.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I kinda want Yuki Yuna any idea what these gifts are? Possibly something useful like an art box? I'm not a big fan of trinkets.

Probably going to be a trinket. Sad

Since you love to import shows I think the Japanese version would be more to your liking:

I wish that Ponycan USA had given the domestic release a set like this. I find that the holding box is GORGEOUS and like that the CD comes in its own case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8