• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
James Cameron Delays Avatar Sequels Until Late 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
@kirisaki_kabuto

When I wanted to see GotG as well as many other films in 2014 I had to see a 3D showing because the only non 3D showing was at 10:00am in the morning for the first 3 days of release then 3D only. I have 1 cinema within an hour's drive which makes the small saving of a non 3D showing irrelevant.

If the choice for most people now is 3D or not seeing it then yes the biggest films have 3D versions (plus 3D is supposedly really popular in China for some reason).

If the only choice is 3D

Edited for excessive quoting. First warning. --willag
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
kirisaki_kabuto wrote:

Not like I don't see your point and yeah the "3d fever" where people thought it was going to be everywhere and the definite future of movies and all that is kind of over now but your exaggeration is worth pointing out.

Would the biggest movies have still been big even without 3d? Probably so. But you can't say that 3d is a thing of the past and is dead when it clearly isn't. Sure, it isn't the freshest most wanted thing around but I would say that it'll still be very present in the near future (hell there are already 30 movies listed for 2015 and we're in the middle of January) either we want it or not.

Correct and the 3D film fad didn't happen one time, but also in the past:

A Short History of 3D Movies

IGN-THE HISTORY OF 3D MOVIE TECH

The Guardian-A history of 3D cinema

National Geographic article on 3D film
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
Hopefully this means that he's clearing the decks for a proper Terminator flick, since the rights are about to revert to him here anytime now.

And Battle Angel? Man, he's only been working on that since - what, 1993 now? I wouldn't mind seeing it, but it's vaporware of the highest order. . . . .

The rights to Terminator don't revert until 2018. Paramount has them until then. That's why Genysis comes out this year, and the next two are tentatively planned for 2016 and 2017. So any Cameron Terminator film will have to wait until after Avatar.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
They're still not done with the scripts? What the hell have they been doing since 2009!!?
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:

Oh dear, since Star Wars has one of the biggest fandoms ever in pop culture and with Episode VII being one of the most highly anticipated films in 2015 and how Avatar surprisingly doesn't have much of a mark left on pop culture compared to Star Wars, pitting Episode VIII against Avatar 2 is going to be quite the interesting battle at the box office because the idea of seeing James Cameron have a breakdown where he gets beaten by Star Wars is going to be pretty tempting.

Unless somehow (and may it not happen) JJ messes up with Episode VII and angered fans unleashes full-scale, worldwide retaliatory boycott... Twisted Evil

Then again, the exact release dates of Episode VIII and Avatar 2 are yet to be known, and I don't think those guys at Fox and Disney want to pit their babies against each other.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
They're still not done with the scripts? What the hell have they been doing since 2009!!?

In-between the ocean explorations, Cameron must have been hard at work pilfering around for some more stories to steal from… Razz

Anyway, I would not be the least bit surprised if it gets pushed back further. That tends to happen with these super-ambitious projects, and now we just have to wait and see if the budget balloons and production problems ensue, as per usual. IIRC, didn't Cameron all but cancel his plans to do Alita, since he is firmly "in the Avatar business" only now?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Problem is nobody cares about 3D anymore so meh.

I don't know if this should be considered as blanket statement but 3D blu-ray and Smart TV optimized with 3D are still coming out.

And soon they won't be. Theaters still give the option for 3D because it brings in more money, but no one is really impressed by it anymore. Now it's more a question of whether or not the 3D was done post-conversion and whether it enhances the film, but it's not a selling point in and of itself.

Mohawk52 wrote:
That's beside the point. When was the last 3D movie you watched , or rather what is the latest 3D movie that's been just released? How many since Avitar?

They're released constantly, even when it's not needed for stuff like Exodus. I don't go out of my way to attend 3D screenings though because I feel more often than not that it doesn't really help the film out. It did for Dredd by adding a layer of depth to the sets making the building feel larger and taller, but that's not always the case. Last 3D film I saw was the Lego Movie, with Hobbit 2 and Frozen before that. I'd rather just have larger screens and louder clearer sound systems than 3D or HFR, or find better ways to make 3D look good without dimming the image. If you're just talking about 3D for home systems, yeah, not worth paying that much more for a gimmick.
(Not that it was a good movie or worth paying to see, but I wish I had seen Spiderman 2 in 3D, or at least just the fight at the electric plant; was so just made for ogling with specs on.)

To kirisaki's point about 3D and box office: they charge more for 3D so it's no surprise that your superhero film in 3D is going to make more.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
kanechin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
yea, grea, whatever.
Rather watch Korra, wouldn't even pirate cameron's avatar.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
See? I didn't know about any of those movies in 3D, but neither did I really care that much to investigate it.
A bad , or boring, or both movie in 3D is still a bad, or boring, or both movie regardless. I was a young kid when the concept came out in the late 50's early 60's and I remember wearing those cardboard specs with the blue and red gel lenses. The fad died out then and it's dying out again now, no matter how much they try to force it upon the masses. Not bothered either way.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Is this an ANN news article because it might delay the production of Battle Angel?

Just curious.

But of course. ANN is just as biased towards anything anime-related as ABC/NBC/CBS are biased towards anything involved with the U.S. government.

At the rate the production of those sequels has been going, Alita will likely never see the light of day before Cameron retires.

Last edited by Tenbyakugon on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Anyway, I would not be the least bit surprised if it gets pushed back further. That tends to happen with these super-ambitious projects, and now we just have to wait and see if the budget balloons and production problems ensue, as per usual. IIRC, didn't Cameron all but cancel his plans to do Alita, since he is firmly "in the Avatar business" only now?

Don't think there are going to be any budget problems. These are Cameron's babies through and through. They are already paid for.

Though I agree with you about delays. Three movies together is a bit ambitious.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I guess I can wait a little longer, but I just hope he releases them with some semblance of relevance in media and culture that can still agree with the context of the first film. At the same time, think of all the technological advancements the first film brought to the table. The next three films in a similar fashion might introduce something bigger than 3D that we have yet to see. With Cameron's pull in the industry and budgetary non-restrictions, speculation can run pretty much any direction you can imagine. That is why I am excited to see these next three films.
partially

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
I don't know if this should be considered as blanket statement but 3D blu-ray and Smart TV optimized with 3D are still coming out.

If you want a TV with a good quality screen it will have 3D and smart features and probably 4K but they are not wanted feature there just chaff to fill out a spec sheet like that a Blu Ray player can play VCD's.

Just because a feature is something you do not use, doesn't necessarily make it chaff. VCDs are the predominant media for some countries, although that has certainly dropped off over the last years.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I love 3D and have a 3D-TV. Yes there are a significant amount of people who do enjoy it and that is why 3D-Blu-ray exists.

HFR 3-D is also very good, easier on the eyes and with greater detail and Avatar will be in HFR 3-D.

We are also on the verge of the VR era now with devices like Oculus Rift. Those are in 3-D naturally, and, yes, despite that VR was also in the making with trends occuring years ago just like 3-D, this is how progress is made.

The 'Fad' never left, it came and went in waves, re-occurring whenever there was better technology to achieve a better implementation.

Large Screen Autostereoscopic 3-D TVs were still on display at CES. The goals are to eliminate glasses entirely which will still take some time to be perfect.

VR in 3-D is practically a necessity for the full feeling of presence. As are high Frame Rates for a smoother and more effective experience.

We are seeing a total convergence of various technology together. This is how technology progresses.

For now the best 3D experience isn't necessarily in the theater, but your own 3D-TV whose brightness you can calibrate to your liking. Passive 3DTVs were also late to the party as people prefer those over the heavy active shutter glasses. Auto-stereoscopic 3D will be even better but still a ways off due to the limitation of viewing angles. And 4K UHD 3-D practically eliminates the interlaced nature of passive viewing almost entirely so those who want the image quality can get it.

With VR probably due out this year, and also probable 4K Blu-ray with HFR support, things will improve. I wouldn't be surprised if Cameron is also keeping industry trends in mind as to the date of release for his sequels to maximize revenue for the home video release.

Exciting times!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The fad died out then and it's dying out again now, no matter how much they try to force it upon the masses. Not bothered either way.

I don't think it really is dying out, at least not in Murrica where we have 20+ screen megaplexes so playing a 3D and a 2D screening of the same new film is trivial. I expect pretty much every action blockbuster to be available in 3D even if I choose not to attend that one. Maybe it will eventually completely die out, but Hollywood's content with forcing it, and theaters don't seem to mind either. I feel like at this point it's more just a matter of preference for the theatergoer, just like how some theaters are adding IMAX and LieMAX screens to display the week's big release, but they'll always have a normal screen option for those who prefer that.

That you weren't aware that theaters are still being swamped with 3D films makes me not really trust your opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4