• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
James Cameron Delays Avatar Sequels Until Late 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
IMAX was a complete failure here in Blighty. The last abandoned IMAX cinema was just demolished in Bournmouth last year.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Him waiting that long better mean that he is going to make this delay worth it.

When he makes Battle Angel, I will believe him when we actually see a trailer, storyboards, or something like that,
RommieSG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
At this rate, James Cameron is going to die before he ever gets around to doing the Battle Angel Alita movies.

Hell, I'm going to be dead before there's a Battle Angel Alita movie. Let's get on the ball Cameron! Quit playing around with your little submarine, and get to makin' movies!!
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I believe he'd also mentioned that he's open to letting someone else direct and make Alita while he produces it based on work he's already done.
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, enough delaying. It's time for a TV Anime adaption.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Naturally it is. ANN has been talking about the delays to Battle Angel Alita, due to the Avatar sequels for some time now.

Right now it is looking like we will see Battle Angel Alita sometime after the United States starts launching astronauts back into space. Which should be sometime after 2020.

That's being generous lol. I don't know if we'll ever get to see the movie from him at this rate.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Despite being the highest grossing film of all time, 6 years after its release, Avatar surprisingly left zero impact on pop culture and I hardly hear anyone talk about it since its release but whenever anyone does talk about it, it's usually due to big hype backlash for it.

Same goes for Titanic a few years after it came out. The biggest impact on the world it had was that Leonardo diCaprio got his chance to become a big star. Then, I started hearing about Titanic again when Avatar was really big, and the movie's remained in the corners of the mainstream consciousness since.

Mohawk52 wrote:
I was a young kid when the concept came out in the late 50's early 60's and I remember wearing those cardboard specs with the blue and red gel lenses. The fad died out then and it's dying out again now, no matter how much they try to force it upon the masses. Not bothered either way.

Yeah, this time, the major studios seem to be pushing it pretty hard, at least in the United States. I also find that local theaters want to push it too. (Then again, I live near Hollywood, so both of those sentences would be the same in meaning.) A big popcorn movie like Guardians of the Galaxy or Big Hero 6 have like four-fifths of their showings in 3D, with a 2D showing, if they have any at all, at a morning hour in another room that will show some smaller movie over the rest of the day.

I wouldn't really mind it so much if I didn't have to pay extra, which I'm sure is why this current 3D thing is being pushed so hard: It's a way to squeeze some extra cash out of viewers. Considering I have my 3DS's 3D slider up to the top almost all the time, I would definitely watch a movie in theaters in 3D if the option was available, if there was no extra charge for it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:31 am Reply with quote
Avatar sequels are the Evangelion Rebuilds - keeps getting pushed back!
Sylontack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:48 am Reply with quote
He doesn't think the public on a large mainstream scale still gives a s**t about that franchise anymore does he? Oh dear.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Of course they care! We've all been waited with bated breath for Dances with Wolves IN SPACE 2: Tobacco Boogaloo!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering how the Na'vi will conveniently win over humans this time, unless we're going to another world and leaving Pandora alone. Going back to Pandora shouldn't be anything more than exterminating the Na'vi from space, that magic rock is just too valuable.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

At least the Eva Rebuilds have had 3 of the 4 movies released.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

At least the Eva Rebuilds have had 3 of the 4 movies released.

Rebuild started ahead!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

That's being generous lol. I don't know if we'll ever get to see the movie from him at this rate.

Not really. NASA has scheduled their current program at a snail's pace, so we could still be funding Putin's Russia for quite awhile after 2020.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Isn't that due to the Bush administration slashing funding for NASA though? NASA tends to pull off a bunch of stuff in quick succession when you have a president interested in space programs, like Nixon, Bush Sr., or Obama, even not accounting for the USSR.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4